Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Kielder 100 – Lordy!
  • twowheels
    Free Member

Well done all involved. I entered on a whim a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't ridden since crashing out of the Crickhowell Merida and have mainly been running — I expected to be let down by fitness and confidence on the tech. sections but surprisingly I rolled in in about 13 hours. No brakes and only middle ring operable. I had a 1 hour rest at Newcastleton while I pondered dropping out (the exposed section just before the piper drained my moral) — THANK YOU to everyone (couple of marshalls and competitors, guy from Middlesborough and guy with Hope kit on in particular) who persuaded me to carry on, I really enjoyed it.

Next year I'll prep. the bike better, do some training and aim for 10 hours!!

organisation was superb but I think they're teasing us by not scanning the results and uploading them! (5 minute job?)

MrSparkle

I don't think it's quite a 5 minute job but for such a fantastically organised and executed event it's a bit poor not having the results out yet.

miketually
    Free Member

I rolled in in about 13 hours. No brakes and only middle ring operable.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one riding brakeless by the end.

Front:

Rear:

That's not a whole lot of braking power for the final downhill run to the finish. In the dark.

nick3216
    Free Member

> I don't think it's quite a 5 minute job but for such a
    > fantastically organised and executed event it's a bit
    > poor not having the results out yet.

Top 3 are up on the website. If yours isn't up there, you lost 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Top 3 are up on the website. If yours isn't up there, you lost

Everyone was either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, joint-4th or DFL 🙂

nick3216
    Free Member

> Everyone was either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, joint-4th or DFL

Or, in my case, DNF

yoda
    Free Member

Well done to my CROSSTRAX team mate NEAL CRAMPTON for finishing first in this inaugral race!

The boys got a bright future in front of him for long distance races.
    He was also fastest first time entrant in last years 3 peaks finishing in 9th place.

Might have to have a go at this myself next year as a 3 peaks warm up!

richpips
    Free Member

I spoke to Neal after, he was off to do another race next day!

nick3216
    Free Member

> Might have to have a go at this myself next year as a 3 peaks warm up!

You might want to ask them to move the Three Peaks to earlier in the year so they can run it as a warm up for this 😉

Consider also that the overall welcome in Newcaslteton and Kielder is way better than that miserable pub in Helwith Bridge, the local food is at least edible, the commentators aren't "Deliberately Northern", and the organisation is less officious while still managing to be more efficient.

MrSparkle

Bloody hell, somebodies got her knickers in a twist! How is the pub miserable? The only time I've been in it was packed and lively and you got a decent pint without much of a wait – wtf do you want?? The commentator of the Peaks is a local legend who supports many local sporting events and clubs. Yes, he's Northern and he has a strong Yorky accent, so what? (can't believe I am sticking up for a Yorky as a proud Lancashire lad)
    As to organisation, yeah, what do they know? They've only held 46 Three Peaks cx races…
    Get over yourself.

nick3216
    Free Member

Bloody hell, somebodies got her knickers in a twist!

I rather suspect my knickeres are considerably less twisted than yours right now. 🙂

dougalzeb
    Free Member

Hi, I have no problems admitting that before last weekend I had not taken a great interest in any form or cycling. My mind is now thoroughly changed. I know several people who were involved in the organisation of the Kielder 100 and was invited along to see the event. At first I was far from keen but seeing the guys on the course I have to say I am now hooked! Much respect for everyone who competed but hats off to the single speed guys! Wow! I had a great day and am hopefully going to buy myself a bike and start riding albeit far more towards the 'leisure' end of the spectrum!

miketually
    Free Member

It would be great to get all the Kielder 100 write-ups and blog posts linked from one place. If you've written one, or read one, stick a link here.

Mine: http://mactually.co.uk/?p=339

Others:
    http://teacake-kate.blogspot.com/2009/09/keilder-100.html
    http://www.oneblackdot.com/ride/index.php/2009/09/07/montane-kielder-100-race-report/

Montane Kielder 100 – A Racer’s Report

dickydutch

JB.
    The showers werent much better than the hose I would have guessed – probably more powerful although a lot colder!
    I think I finished in around 11 hrs ish. Pretty pleased to be honest although my bike is now in need of serious TLC. Replacing all the front chain rings is first priority. I also somehow managed to gouge a hole in my chain stay protector ont he underside and didnt realise until yesterday! Must have given it a right bash. I guess you'll be going back next year then? I really enjoyed it! You reckon it was harder than soloing SITS? Thinking of doing that one next year….

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Blog from the Winner of the Singlespeed Category…..

http://shoestring-racing.blogspot.com/

dot
    Free Member

And blog from 1st female singlespeeder…

http://trio25.blogspot.com/2009/09/kielder-100.html

Smiker
    Free Member

I have one on my facebook profile – but I'd best edit it for grammar and crudeness before posting it somewhere completely public!

Clink

I'd love to do this. Does anyone know if it's on against next year??

joolzed
    Free Member

Seems a good chance it'll be on again, seeing how well it was received n all;0)

rolfharris
    Free Member

I really hope it is on next year- I won't be doing it, but this is a real challenge and I'm sure people will be really up for it next year.

dickydutch

I'd enter and pay my money now. (coming from a guy who almost choked at the 50 quid entry fee)

warton
    Free Member

sep 4th is the official date for next year, no entry yet, and I doubt there will be entry till next spring at the earliest. If you all enjoyed the kielder trails check out the kielder marathon series, sponsored by the bike place, next event is 16th October, 50k, with probably 100 or so entrants

miketually
    Free Member

I'd enter and pay my money now

Me too.

Clink

I'd enter and pay my money now

and me!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Full results are on the website now and there's a link to Joolze Dymond's photos (very helpfully ordered by rider number).

14th Vet for me in 11:29

Consistent mid-table mediocrity once again 😀

jojoA1
    Free Member

I was most impressed by Greig's result. The speedy little monkey 🙂

joolzed
    Free Member

There's a full (ish) report too now on XCRacer:0)
    Montane Kielder 100 Report

J

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I was most impressed by Greig's result. The speedy little monkey

Absolutely – I knew he was quick, but that's a pretty impressive time on that monster bike of his.

Charming too… 😉

radoggair
    Free Member

Charming too…

To think we slept only 2 feet from each other and you didn't take advantage. Others would of you know, and would i of felt violated……… ????

Can anyone convert the results to a different format, my computer cant seem to open this one up??

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Greig, it's an Excel spreadsheet (.xls) so it should open if you have Excel.

If you don't, I can save it as a .tab file and send it to you and it'll open in MS Works Spreadsheet (I think).

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yup – just tried it and it works fine (as a .txt file rather than .tab)

I'll send it to you.

radoggair
    Free Member

relax,i've downloaded excel and it works.

11th male………. very pleased with that…… very
    If only i didn't get that darn puncture !!

More i think abou it i feel the victory was beating myself into keep going and all on that 'all mountain' bike

Greig 1 kielder 0

Next year is a must

stuartie_c
    Free Member

relax

I am relaxed. I'm so relaxed, I fell asleep in the bath yesterday morning.

Maybe this race took more out of me than I thought, or maybe I need 500mg of HTFU.

miketually
    Free Member

Results and the XC racer report are interesting.

I make it 130 finishers?

The report says only 20 SS riders started (3 female, I was told). I wonder how many finished?

JB
    Free Member

Dickydutch,
    My bike faired ok really, pads about 75% worn, chain wrecked, chain rings ok, a good clean and lube and it's ready to go again! I was 12hrs 15, finished 19th in Vets catagory, need to train harder and stay ahead of you next year!!! 😉
    JB

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just got round to cleaning and fixing the bike. Here's the rear brake pad in the state it finished the race:

That was an XTR pad which went in at Newcastleton (already half worn) to replace a set of Disco pads which were brand new at the start of the race. The sound of titanium wearing on steel isn't a nice one.

Incidentally, the front pads survived and have more than half the pad material on them. I'll not say which make they were for fear of the lynch mob… 😯

JB
    Free Member

Good grief! I must be really easy on my brakes, had Hope organics in that have been in sisnce the start of the season and have done loads including a solo effort at SITS they'll definately do another race, but I'll put some new ones in for Dusk till Dawn.

paul4stones

I'm with you JB, can't understand why people have such trouble with their pads wearing out 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

http://xxcmag.com/site/eMag.html

The K100 gets a write up in the current xxc mag.

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 – Lordy!’ is closed to new replies.