Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Kids gaming control for certain hours.
  • DaRC_L

Is there a way to restrict gaming between certain hours on the XBOX / PS3?

I've looked around the PS3 and Xbox parental controls but can't find anything other than the XBOX timer which controls how much time they spend on the machine but nothing on the PS3.

Although the kids have been good it's a useful stick to have… plus a work colleague sort of needs it now 😈

aracer
    Free Member

Hardwire it to a timeswitch?

Though I'm surprised that children so young they don't understand "no" have a PS3.

DaRC_L

More like teenagers skiving off school when parent at work…

snakebite
    Free Member

our kids tellies have timers built in….when the telly goes off, so does the fun!

DaRC_L

Ahh good point snakebite 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

Hardwire it to a timeswitch?

I'm sure kids that are able to figure out how to use a PS3 will soon figure out how to unplug the timer socket and plug the PS3 in directly.

Plus, is not always a good idea for the PS3 to just power off mid-way through disc writes etc.

druidh
    Free Member

DaRC_L – Member
    More like teenagers skiving off school when parent at work…

Err – how about fixing the cause instead of the effect?

aracer
    Free Member

I'm sure kids that are able to figure out how to use a PS3 will soon figure out how to unplug the timer socket and plug the PS3 in directly.

Hence "hardwire".

Plus, is not always a good idea for the PS3 to just power off mid-way through disc writes etc.

Well they'll soon learn to turn off early – not that it should be an issue if the timer is for school hours.

Given the circumstances, a locked cupboard would seem an obvious solution.

jond
    Free Member

Hmm..easy for me to say 'cos I'm not a parent, but knobbling the console would seem be be fixing the symptom, not the problem – they shouldn't be skiving off in the first place…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Do you know what i would do if my teenager skived off school to play on their xbox?

This is the gods honest truth.

I would walk into the house, pick up the xbox, walk out into the back garden and kick the xbox to pieces. I would then tell the child if it ever happened again then they would lose the next dearest thing they own.

Are you a parent or are you their friend?

DaRC_L

Not my kid – already been suggested that kid wouldn't find the xbox on ebay…

DaRC_L

However, as I have 3 teenagers myself – it's good to have the timing stick hidden behind my back when I'm walking softly…

geoffj

Are you a parent or are you their friend?

To be fair, these aren't mutually exclusive.

Drac

Take the power supply to work.

jon1973
    Free Member

I would walk into the house, pick up the xbox, walk out into the back garden and kick the xbox to pieces. I would then tell the child if it ever happened again then they would lose the next dearest thing they own.

Good training if you want them to be Loan Sharks or similar in the future I guess. Teach 'em the power of fear and intimidation young.

aracer
    Free Member

I would walk into the house, pick up the xbox, walk out into the back garden and kick the xbox to pieces.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Don't you know Xboxs have good secondhand value? What you want to do is kick something that looks like their xbox to pieces and then top up your bike fund.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Good training if you want them to be Loan Sharks or similar in the future I guess. Teach 'em the power of fear and intimidation young.

You are joking right?

Its not fear and intimidation, its responsibility and consequence. If they cant act responsible then they face a consequence. No fear or intimidation. Just plain old fashioned being responsible for their actions.

I suppose you would negotiate with them and try to hide the power cord in the hope they would see reason.

Drac
    jon1973
    Free Member

You are joking right?

Seriously? you're joking right?

If your kid plays on his xbox at a time when he shouldn't and you take it outside and smash it to pieces in front of them and then threaten to smash something else up if they fall out of line again?

What happens if that doesn't work? his little finger? pet rabbit?

I'm sure you're a great father, but that post makes you sound like a figgin' psychopath.

lol @ Drac

llama

guy I know – his teenage boy was getting up at 3am and going downstairs to play on WoW for a few hours. Then sneek pack up to bed. Every night. Wasn't even looking at pr0n! Took them months before they sussed him!

molgrips
    Free Member

That's a great way to build up a lot of hate and resentment. I'm bloody glad you weren't my Dad.

And it IS about fear and intimidation – it's a violent aggressive act, physically smashing something they hold dear in front of them. You could confiscate it and leave it say at work, with the incentive that they might get it back one day. If you don't know the difference between smashing something up and say, squirting glue in the drive slot then you know nothing about basic human emotions.

Nick

guy I know – his teenage boy was getting up at 3am and going downstairs to play on WoW for a few hours. Then sneek pack up to bed. Every night. Wasn't even looking at pr0n! Took them months before they sussed him!

I used to do this with a ZX Spectum nearly 30 years ago, I was mostly typing in programs from Sinclair User though

jon1973
    Free Member

I used to do this with a ZX Spectum nearly 30 years ago, I was mostly typing in programs from Sinclair User though

Ahh! the Spectrum. I used to spend hours writing games on mine. I wish I still had it.

I'm sure that's a major reason why I went in to programing/IT. That and the inability to interact with other human beings.

aracer
    Free Member

Ahh! the Spectrum. I used to spend hours writing games on mine. I wish I still had it.

I have a ZX81 in the cupboard if that's any use to you?

Nick

I've still got a ZX Spectrum 🙂 you can pick them up on ebay for not much money, or run an emulator on a pc

sc-xc

Spectrum? C64 was where it was at. The only game the spectrum had over the Commodore was Jetpack.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Seems like my little lad must have read this last night. I went to have a little play on Forza 3 at 11pm and couldnt find it anywhere. I searched and searched but the game was missing.

Last gasp i went into my lads room and had a quick look about. He had hidden it under his toy box.

Asked why he had done it this morning and he stated that if he wasnt allowed to play on it (He hasnt been allowed for a week as his attitude was bad after a session on it a week ago) then neither could I 🙂 Obviously i pointed out that his daddy hadnt played on it for over a week either and his daddy hadnt done anything wrong so it wasnt his decision to make, but i was trying hard not to laugh.

Lets get this straight. My comments were in the context of the OP's post. The kid was missing school to play on the xbox. That in my book is pretty high up on the list of things to stamp down on. I didnt say anything about hitting the kid or shouting. It would be black & white that they act foolishly, they lose the x box.

Nothing to do with indimidating or building hate. Your glad your not may dad. Well i am the dad that coaches my sons under 7 football side tewice a week, i am the dad who is always asking my son if we can go for a bike ride or play football on the front or whatever other interesting thing i can think of. I am the dad who takes his son to the pub to watch football and tells him to ask a few of his friends. Actually out of all the fathers i know, i am the one who spends more time with his son doing father/son things than anyone i know. I believe that a dad doesnt always have to be mr nice guy but there has to be an air of authority otherewise the kid is forever testing the boundaries.

If that comes across as bullying etc well i am sorry

molgrips
    Free Member

If that comes across as bullying etc well i am sorry

You're twisting words. None of that stuff is bullying.

That, however, is.

It's as much about HOW you do things as WHAT you do.

Nick

Smashing up stuff and threatening to smash up more stuff is just reacting, in an impotent way, to failing as a parent to make sure your kids are at school or understand why they skive off.

Put it this way, I doubt they are not at school because they want to just play on the xbox.

I know this from personal experience, my son, who lives with his mother, wouldn't go to school, we did everything to convince him to do so, even taking power supplies for anything electrical, sky box etc away, threats of putting them on ebay etc, he just sat on his bed all day and wouldn't move. Needed councilling and support not threats of wanton destruction or denial of entertainment to sort out (he's fine now and doing well at college).

Spectrum? C64 was where it was at. The only game the spectrum had over the Commodore was Jetpack.

Now that is bullshit 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

So you're saying that the time i came downstairs to find my RC car in the bin after not taking up to my room for the umpteenth time means i hate my dad?

I think you're very very wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er sobriety – not saying anything of the sort.

Do you lot honestly not see a problem with the violence inherent in the smashing up of a personal posession, as opposed to just confiscating it? Really? That strikes me as bizarre.

Drac

"Come on son let's go down the pub and watch the football"

"But Dad I don't want to"

"I'll smash you Xbox if you don't"

"O…o…k Dad but please not Stella, you know what your like when you've had Stella"

"LittlestHobo SMASH!"

"Noooo Dad, I didn't mean it"

I'm sure you are a good Father but that as just such a silly comment and really doubt you truly meant it. Smashing stuff up as punishment is just daft in my book.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol@Drac 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Smashing/Binning, whatever. The xbox would not be coming back in the house permanently if i discovered my son had missed school to play on it.

The act of 'losing' the xbox as a consequence of his actions is the point to be discussed, not how it was carried out.

Or does this detract from the fact that the softly softly, trying to deal with things without upsetting someones feelings is part of the reason we have so many spoilt brats running about who have little to no respect for their elders or authority in this country.

My parents did the same as sobriety experienced on more than one occasion. I didnt hate my parents for it and remembered that i shouldnt leave my stuff lying about in future.

If that offended you. I wont mention what my dad did to teach my younger brother (15 at the time) a lesson about staying out all night.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Drac, how about

"Dad can we watch the football"
    "Yes Son, when is it on"
    "Can we ask xxxx if they want to come"
    "Yes son tell him we will call round on the way"

How many fathers just click the remote control on the sky tv and let their sons sit glued to the tv. We have a local rugby club who have a resteraunt attached and sky tv in the bar/social area. Quite often he brings a book with him or if his pals are there they can take a football outside.

I hardly ever drink so i sit with a coke, chat to a few friends and enjoy the football.

Or i could just get sky tv installed and join the masses and leave my kids in front of the tv

grievoustim
    Free Member

"LittlestHobo SMASH!"

classic! 😆

Drac

It was meant in fun Hobo, I'm not doubting what you do.

Best hide my laptop though just in case you get angry.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I guessed that drac. No offence meant or taken.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Kids gaming control for certain hours.’ is closed to new replies.