• This topic has 48 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DrT.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Kids e-bikes
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Owt about for little ones? I guess weight would be the limiting factor but surely they’d need a fraction of the power so less battery and smaller motor? Google throws up a few 24″ option s with full size gear but anything for tiddlers?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Genuine question, why would you want one for a young kid?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Help them go a bit further, get up hills and suc?

tomhoward

Minimum legal age is 14.

daern
    Free Member

Help them go a bit further, get up hills and suc?

Honestly, my answer here is to train ’em up instead. Kids will run around in the playground playing football for hours without complaining. If you convert this to cycling, they can easily ride all day and cover good distances with a bit of training and coaching.

Get a decent bike under them and get them off the towpaths and into the hills 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

If they don’t have an e bike they’ll get tired…. 🙄

taxi25
    Free Member

In the year 5555
    Your arms hangin’ limp at your sides
    Your legs got nothin’ to do
    Some machine’s doin’ that for you.

Zager And Evans – In The Year 2525

daern
    Free Member

If they don’t have an e bike they’ll get tired….

Sure they will. And so do I 🙂

But kids have far more stamina than grown-ups think and are capable of longer rides too. Just don’t expect to go out on your first ride with them and expect them to do a 30 miler over the hills without any prep!

Myself and my son set ourselves a challenge to ride off-road over the Pennines from Stockport to Leeds in a weekend. This is a 100 mile ride with some pretty big hills so it was no mean thing for an 8 year old to attempt. He does quite a bit of riding with me anyway, so for the 6 months prior we started to increase the riding level – nothing too extreme, just one decent ride per week gradually increasing the difficulty until he was comfortably doing 30-40 miles of “proper” offroad riding in a single ride.

In the end, the trans-pennine trip was actually a bit easier than some of the training rides we had done, slogging around in winter conditions in the Dales, but he has improved his cycling stamina (and skill) substantially and we’ll build on this further during the summer. Did he do it without complaining? No, of course not, but we have a good system worked out so I know the difference between him having a bit of a moan and when he’s properly exhausted and we try not to fall out over it!

No e-bikes needed – just a decent hardtail (Islabikes Creig 24) and plenty of malt loaf to keep him pedalling 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think you missed the 🙄 …..

tomhoward

Age group 8+ Or 2+ depending on which bit you read
    Weight 25kg

It’ll weigh more than the kid riding it!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just put them on a mobility scooter now and be done with it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bad enough seeing them on push scooters instead of bikes. It’s hardly much exercise to punt along putting one foot down occasionally. Walking is more exercise!

(though arguably the same could have been said of skateboards, but then at least they’d actually be mucking around doing tricks).

IHN

Myself and my son set ourselves a challenge to ride off-road over the Pennines from Stockport to Leeds in a weekend. This is a 100 mile ride with some pretty big hills so it was no mean thing for an 8 year old to attempt.

8! 😯

Good effort MiniDaern 🙂

daern
    Free Member

Good effort MiniDaern

Thanks – he absolutely loved it and for those with kids I would really encourage you to get them out riding with you as young as possible and you’ll be amazed at what they can do. Obviously, I’m proud of my lad, but I am sure this is nothing that any other, properly trained 8yo boy or girl could do. I don’t even mind that he’s a bit slower than me – I get way more pleasure watching him ride than I do flogging myself to bits 🙂

Here, have a proud dad pic from the hills above Scarhouse reservoir a few weeks ago:

(Hopefully, we’ve now distracted the original eBikes-for-kids post successfully 😉 )

nealglover
    Free Member

As someone else already said, the reason It will be hard to find kids ebikes in the UK, is because the legal minimum age to ride one is 14.

shifter
    Free Member

Walking is much easier than scooting deadkenny. Try it.

SaxonRider

Just put them on a mobility scooter now and be done with it.

This. I’m now going to pretend I didn’t see this thread.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What a bunch of **** you lot are.

Eldest is a fit and lean 5 but it’d make it more attainable for him to cover longer rides and get up longer gradients with a bit of assistance. What’s the **** problem?

Mate sent a message yesterday about doing a 3 1/2 hr ride with his missus that she wouldn’t have previously entertained and it got me thinking. But no, I’m probably worse for my kids than perchy’s paedo mate for suggesting it…

zanelad
    Free Member

“Just put them on a mobility scooter now and be done with it.”

Genuine laugh out loud at that. Well said.

nerd
    Free Member

Tailor your rides to ones your child can do without assistance.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Why? If he can get the same exercise but go further and higher?

taxi25
    Free Member

😆 Come on Op what did you expect !! But as it’s been said you need to be 14 to ride one.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah rulez is rulez but I didn’t know that yesterday, not bothered about that just surprised at the double standard about people using assists to further their riding pleasure, why wouldn’t it apply to kids equally as it does to older folks/people with fitness issues/people who’d just enjoy it less without?

nerd
    Free Member

He’ll be able to go further and higher when he’s older. Let him enjoy riding his bike, rather than pushing higher numbers!

daern
    Free Member

What a bunch of **** you lot are.

Eldest is a fit and lean 5 but it’d make it more attainable for him to cover longer rides and get up longer gradients with a bit of assistance. What’s the **** problem?

Mate sent a message yesterday about doing a 3 1/2 hr ride with his missus that she wouldn’t have previously entertained and it got me thinking. But no, I’m probably worse for my kids than perchy’s paedo mate for suggesting it…

Chill dude, posting about e-bikes for kids here was never going to get a good response, I’m afraid 🙂

There’s literally tons of stuff that you can do with kids of that age. I just had a look back through my Strava history at what I did with my boy back when he was 5yo:

[list]
    [*]Sky Rides (got a different name now, but still going strong)[/*]
    [*]Local MTB trail centre – skills loop. Kids *love* these and they tend to be short too.[/*]
    [*]Cinder Trail – Whitby to Scarborough and back over two days (60 miles total)[/*]
    [*]Bruges (Belgium) – took the bikes on the ferry, cycled 25 miles to Bruges, stayed a few days and cycled back again[/*]
    [*]Tons of shorter (10 mile) singletrack rides[/*]
    [*]Forestry commission sites – plenty of opportunity to mix up the trails and do something that suits his ability and fitness[/*]
    [/list]

The key here is to not try to do too much too quickly, but you should have absolutely no problem doing good, challenging rides with a 5yo without needing electric assistance. All of the above was done with no more assistance than an occasional one-handed shove up a hill when his legs tired. Just build it up slowly and you’ll find that you’ll enjoy it all the more.

One thing we didn’t do too much of is riding with our normal MTB buddies with the kids – at this age, everyone gets frustrated because of the difference in speed. Only now that he is 8yo would I consider taking him out with a group of adult riders and, even then, it would be a specifically chosen group that either he could keep up with, or wouldn’t mind if he was a bit slower than them.

IHN

Only now that he is 8yo would I consider taking him out with a group of adult riders and, even then, it would be a specifically chosen group that either he could keep up with, or wouldn’t mind if he was a bit slower than them.

I’d happily come out with you, I have no qualms about having my arse handed to me on a plate by an eight year old 🙂

daern
    Free Member

LOL! I’ll tell him – he’ll like that 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I saw a video the other day with some fit lady pulling her kid along on the climbs, on mountain bikes.

Why don’t you get the e-bike and a strap for towing the young one?

chevychase

If you don’t want to make your kids get up to speed under their own steam – at a time in their life when their bodies are developing and *gagging* to be pushed to their limits – an action which has *lifelong* benefits that will help them into their old age even if their level of exercise tails off then there’s no helping you.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What a load of shit

chevychase

“my parenting skills are.”

There. Finished your sentence for ya.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The sanctimony is strong with this one

chevychase
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Neither of my children are obese. They’re also well mannered, perhaps your parents should have tried a little harder.

DickBarton

I get the op’s comment and reasoning behind the thinking of making it easier as that is what ebike do. I’m completely stumped as to why a child would need one – that appears to described as fit and healthy.
    If a kid wants to do that distance (whatever it is), they will…without the need for an ebike.
    Sounds more like dad is feeling left out and wants to drag his kids on a bike ride he wants to do.
    If so, it just takes a bit more time but it’ll happen soon enough.
    Genuinely, I can’t see the benefit a healthy kid would gain from humping all that extra weight around as the battery will be drained in the first 5 miles.
    You asked for opinion and you got it, all of which isn’t in agreement with your thinking.

daern
    Free Member

What a load of shit

OK, I’m out of here now 🙁

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I didn’t ask for annyones opinion, I asked whether anyone did e bikes for kids.

For the three that gave a factual response, thanks. The rest of you can **** off

DickBarton

I’ve re-read your post – you did indeed ask if anyone does them…but you then also went on and asked about a smaller motor and whatnot, which resulted in more chat.

I’ve obviously put an opinion up for everything but the very first part of your original post…I don’t know anyone who makes them for children.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Apparently nobody does due to legal restrictions. That aside though what genuinely baffles me though is the apparent moral differentiation between the hundreds of people of all ages hiring these every week at trail centres and my son. Have all these other people got Jimmy Saville/Fred West as a father and will die of adipose cancer too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Kids e-bikes’ is closed to new replies.