• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Kiddy trailer/mudguard/Heath Robinson
  • mtbfix

So I note, with interest, that when the rain cover is up the babies get splattered with mud whilst being towed behind the bike. Before I start cutting things up in an effort to jerry-rig a guard that can be fitted behind my rear wheel I thought I'd see if any of the STW parents collective had already gone through this. nb, it is a FS bike so fitting a 'normal' full guard is a non starter.

wwaswas

you need to buy a hardtail as well!

I've always had the same problem with a trailer bike and a full guard was the only 'proper' solution I found.

I think what I'd look at in your case is attaching a large perspex sheet vertically to the front of the trailer to protect them from mud, flying stones etc.

bananaworld
    Free Member

GW
    Free Member

which full sus bike is it? and which trailer?

toys19
    Free Member

I use the towing vehicle for this with full length rear mudguard, dangerous to little eyes otherwise. Hence the goggles idea rocks and bananaworld needs prizes.

mtbfix

which full sus bike is it? and which trailer?

AnthemX and a Croozer trailer.

you need to buy a hardtail as well!

I've got a few of those. Bike options are plentiful. Storage for said bikes and trailer is the issue.

wwaswas

I do think the sheet of perspex on the front of the trailer warrants some investigation, tbh.

GW
    Free Member

Would honestly have thought you'd be able to fit a full length mudguard to an anthem, you'll need to cut it so it mounts to the top of the swingarm/stays and fit it as close to the tyre as possible, but it should be do-able. look at how the crud road racer guards fit and copy that idea.
    I'd stock up on zip-ties, old innertube and o-rings first.

monkeyp

I thought of designing something like an elasticated elongated triangle of material that attaches to your seatpost and the front bumper of the trailer to offer complete protection.

I have also thought of fitting a crudguard to the front of the trailer rollcage, pointing up to offer protection – although that would only work whilst your going in a straight line.

Alternatively, try to get hold of a Cannondale Bugger (bad bad name – and one of their first ever products so very rare) where the passengers face backwards!

jonathan
    Free Member

I thought of designing something like an elasticated elongated triangle of material that attaches to your seatpost and the front bumper of the trailer to offer complete protection.

Oooh.. that sounds like quite a good idea – I might try and investgate/bodge that. Would be easily removable when not need as well.

I have also thought of fitting a crudguard to the front of the trailer rollcage, pointing up to offer protection – although that would only work whilst your going in a straight line.

Yep – I've been through that logic too. I don't think it's a goer.

wwaswas

I used to have 3 crudguards on the arm of my kids trailer bikes. it did help but as above – only if you go in a dead straight line and even then the arm is too far from the tyre to catch most of the stuff that flies up.

antigee

wwaswas – Member
    I do think the sheet of perspex on the front of the trailer warrants some investigation, tbh.

did that held in place with a couple of big fold over paper clips so could easily remove

postierich
    Free Member

Looked for aaa rear facing child trailer because of the stone/mud flinging as my daughter hates having the cover down,we did try the glasses thing but the trailer ended up in a mess.
    Got to be a market for rear facing trailer as 9 times out of ten mother is behind!

Rich

smurf
    Free Member

On a croozer, if you lift the rain cover up, is there anything else you can put down in it's place?

I've got a Chariot Cougar and there is a rain cover and a fine mesh and you can use either one of them or both together.

I've not tried it in the rain / when it's muddy yet though

smurf

GW
    Free Member

Got to be a market for rear facing trailer as 9 times out of ten mother is behind!

I must've towed my kids on 1000s of journeys but their mothers' haven't ever been anywhere near us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Kiddy trailer/mudguard/Heath Robinson’ is closed to new replies.