• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kia Ceed anyone?
  • RustySpanner

In need of a new car and am tempted by a 4 year old Kia Ceed, low milage, 3 years warranty remaining and a good deal cheaper than the Focus/Golf alternatives.

Personally, I’m not arsed about status/snob value, just reliability and running costs.

All the reviews seem positive and I’ve really not heard any negative feedback.

Have been looking at Berlingos, but all seem very high mileage for the money.

Need something that will carry 2 bikes plus kit, be utterly reliable and reasonable to run.
    Tend to do pretty high mileages do to nature of job.

Don’t mind the Focus, but don’t want a diesel due to DMF issues and the petrol models seem very thirsty.

Anyone got one?
    Would you consider one?

Thanks in advance.

oddjob
    Free Member

Father in law has one and it has been a load of trouble. back to be repaired all the time and often having to argue about the warranty. They had to do some work on rust when it was about 2 years old as well.

I wouldn’t touch one with someone elses

flyingmonkeycorps

Good friends have one… It’s not a terribly exciting car, maybe a bit plasticy but it certainly seems happy enough putting the miles in, a mix of shortish trips to work and long runs up and down the motorway. And, er, without being rude they’re not the most mechanically sympathetic of drivers.

Check servicing has been kept up or the warranty won’t be valid.

mudshark
    Free Member

My criteria was similar, I got a Roomster, it’s great; a new one though.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’d certainly consider one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Cee%27d

Check out the “Reception” section of the Wiki page.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’re OK cars, but I’d have (And may well do, next time) a Fiat Bravo instead. I drove one the other day and it was a cracking car. Better diesel engine than VW, put it that way!

z1ppy

I got one as a rental a few year back (so assume it would be the same model), one of the front indicator bulbs was dead… I thought, I’ll just change that, nope couldn’t get to it.. called hire company, they say phone RAC.. RAC appears, take a look phones a Kia garage… then informs me he can’t change the bulb without removing the whole of the front bumper & light clusters (& unsurprisingly wasn’t willing to do this). They offered to transport me home… I just drove it home.

Otherwise I though it was a nice car, no worse than the same age Astra’s and Megans I was given otherwise.

Take a look at old shape Astra’s would be my suggestion, these were very good hire cars, performed well in terms of decent turn of speed, handling and ecomony.

hora
    Free Member

Rusty-why not?!! Although check with Kia UK that its defo still covered. They may have service schedules that need to be kept to for the ongoing warranty to be valid? (i.e. dont listen to what the seller tells you) 🙂

RustySpanner

Will be doing that tomorrow Hora, cheers.

This will be the most expensive thing I’ve ever bought without a mortgage, so it has to be right.

hora
    Free Member

I know what you mean. I always cross-reference what someone tells me. I’ve found sellers with ulterior motives at times 🙄

Nowt wrong with the Kia Ceed and if it still does have its 3yrs warranty I think you’d have a great car.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’d look at the Fiat recommendation myself.

Not a great pedigree for building cars – remember the Kia Pride?

I also think it would drop in value even faster than the Fiat, but at least the Fiat will be good to drive.

deviant
    Free Member

Had a Fiat Punto about 7 years ago….comical build quality and reliability….unless something has changed in recent years then i wouldnt own another one….same goes for Citroen, laughable that they sell any given how badly put together my one was.

Parents have a Kia and a Mercedes….guess which one goes wrong all the time? (its not the one from the far east)….i have a Hyundai, other half has a Mitsubishi….i wont buy european again, seem to be very much style over substance.

hora
    Free Member

I recently looked at the Fiat Bravo (new shape) – gawd its got a rep 😯

Long warranty should equal peace of mind 8) (unless its a Bravo and then you’ll be in the arms of Fiat staff).

iain1775
    Free Member

Have a similar age Hyundai i30 which is essentially the same car, just different badge and foregoes 2 years warranty for improved spec and better looking cabin (IMO)
    Had no problems other than a tyre valve needing replacing (sensor one so expensive)
    It’s very well built, drives ok, pretty efficient, not exciting but I rate it higher than my previous BMW for build quality and comfort
    Oh and 2 bikes fit it w seat down no probs in fact if I remove wheels saddle and bars I can fit my bike entirely in boot along with all riding gear and a small suitcase
    Thinking of trading in soon but I will definately stick w Hyundai / Kia, prob an i40 or ix35
    ReLly can’t fault the car or customer service (my local garage is also Subaru and alfa dealer) one bit

tron
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put too much faith in the 7 year warranty on KIA etc. The ads always point out it’s powertrain only, ie engine or gearbox failures, and they’re incredibly rare faults on any modern car.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’d look at the Fiat recommendation myself.
    Not a great pedigree for building cars – remember the Kia Pride?
    I also think it would drop in value even faster than the Fiat, but at least the Fiat will be good to drive.

I could also name several dodgy fiats of old
    Check current rep not previous hyundai/Kia group most improved and promising car company in world currently and consistently getting good press, cars now designed in Germany and built in Czech
    He is buying 2nd hand so has already lost most of it’s value, OP will be taking advantage of that so not such an issue?
    Tron – may be different with KIA but my Hyundai 5 yr warranty isn’t just drivetrain I’ve checks that out, it’s also fully transferable between owners and service restrictions are not too imposing so long as it’s serviced somewhere near the recommended durations then it should be ok (my garage at least honoured warranty with a minor ABS fault despite last service being 1,200 miles overdue)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Had a Fiat Punto about 7 years ago….comical build quality and reliability

I had a diesel punto myself a far few years ago – metal panels were thin but other than that it was no worse than the vw polo I had before, and drove a lot better, and obviously the engine was tons better.

Then I had a petrol one and that was quite decent, although a little light at the front.

Since then, 3 alfas (Fiats in another guise).

Depends what your priorities are, but with the cost of petrol as it is I would rather have a car that is enjoyable to drive.

allthepies
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put too much faith in the 7 year warranty on KIA etc. The ads always point out it’s powertrain only, ie engine or gearbox failures, and they’re incredibly rare faults on any modern car.

I believe you’re mistaken re: the warranty T’s and C’s. 🙂

“Some items have a natural limited life/durability and are therefore covered for less than 7 years. These items include (but are not restricted to) consumable parts such as worn windscreen wiper blades, clutch linings, etc. The vehicle battery is warranted for a period of 2 years. The audio system is warranted for 3 years/60,000 miles and vehicle paint is warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles.

For all other components, the total cost of parts and labour associated with any warranty claim are covered. “

So if say the car ECU blew up then I believe that would be covered, it’s certainly not a consumable item with an expected lifespan of less than 7 years.

hora
    Free Member

What colour is it?

Remember to buy your winter tyres now – before winter when they’ll sell out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kia Ceed anyone?’ is closed to new replies.