Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kevlar high rollers
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Has anyone used the 2.35 versions and if so, how do they compare to the wire bead versions? I am trying to find some lighter tyres to replace my current wired high rollers, without losing the grip.

Kramer
    Free Member

I've got both the steel bead dual ply versions – for Morzine use, and a single ply Kevlar bead version that I run tubeless on the front. Can't say I've noticed a difference between them in grip.

mikey74
    Free Member

BHow do you find the kevlar ones for puncture and tear resistance?

Jase_MK
    Free Member

If I could just add another little question into the pot…

Is the only difference between High Roller XC and High Roller DH the width? I need to replace my worn Kendas and fancy something chunky, say 2.35ish, but can only find DH versions. Is that what I have to go for? (i.e. presumably there's no 2.35 XC?). Not that I especially care about the XC/DH label but I don't want to be riding an unnecessarily heavy duty tyre for my reasonably tame local trails if there's an XC version available.

lardman
    Free Member

In my experience of the Kevlars… they are pretty weak. Got six pinch flats in Penmachno on one ride running the sorts of pressure i would on my normal 'non kevlar' version of the same. The side walls are much thinner than normal rollers.

I used all my patches, and cos it was raining they didn't stick to the inner tube, and i had to walk a fair bit of the way round.

Grip, and tread the same tho'. Just prone to pinching. So, on a tubeless, i reckon the distortion in the wall of the tyre would cause some nasty rolling sensations in the corners.

Mind you… that's where i like to push it hard….

i went back to single ply front, and double ply rear.

james
    Free Member

"lighter tyres to replace my current wired high rollers, without losing the grip"
    If you've got 60a wire ones, then get 60a folding ones which are 100-150g less per tyre. Theres no 42a supertacky folding one though

"Is the only difference between High Roller XC and High Roller DH the width"
    No. The tread is different. The FR/DH (2.35" +) have much taller side tread and taller/closer main tread
    Not all the FR/DH tread (2.35" +) have downhill labelling on them. The downhill labelled ones are dual thickness I think.
    Have a closer look at the specs. If its over a kilo it'll be dual ply, if a bit under (7-800g) then it'll be single ply (wire) or kevlar (folding = 695g)

" The side walls are much thinner than normal rollers"
    But still far better than a kevlar kenda nevegal for eg

rodney
    Free Member

Does anyone know where might have the 2.35 kevlars in stock? I've had trouble getting hold of them recently.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah I can't find them either. I might just hang on and see what the new Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 Black Chili's are like.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kevlar high rollers’ is closed to new replies.