Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Kettlebell selection
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I want to incorporate some kettlebell swings etc into my training but I’m unsure what kettlebell/s to go for. I’m looking at the Base Fitness ones on the bay which seem to be by far the best value.

Anyway I’m unsure if I should go for a 16kg, 20kg or one of their triple packs of either 12/16/20kg or 16/20/24kg. The general consensus seems to be a 16 or 20kg but I’m not too sure what to do. If it’s any help I’m 6’3″, 15 stone, run or bike 3 times a week and started weights again a few months back. I think the two handed swing is most beneficial for cycling and is the main excersize I’m interested, so I don’t wan’t to buy one and find it’s not enough. Any suggestions?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

12/16/20.

Try reverse wrist curls with a 4kg for a laugh too…

oddjob
    Free Member

You sound to be in a similar situation to me and I got a 16kg which has proved to be fine. Heavy enough for swings and not too heavy to try some other stuff.

Jolsa
    iDave
    Free Member

I’d say go for 20kg and do swings in sets until you can hit 100 in a single set, then think about going higher.

I would imagine in a few weeks 16 wouldn’t feel like enough.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

iDave speeketh the truth… make sure your form is 100% before swinging a 20kg one about though!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

bought a 10 kg as i wanted to start light (rehab from whiplash last year)

sorted my form and now i’m looking for a heavier one. 16 kg sounds about right for swinging.

base one off ebay seems good to me – it’s not rubber coated or anything fancy but thats fine by me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll go with 20kg and put the glazier on speed dial.

MrGrim

+1 for the Base one’s off Ebay. Cheap and seem good quality and delivery was free which is the killer when ordering something as heavy as this online. As above mine are cast iron and no plastic coating which I deliberately went for. I use mine in the garage so the coating would just be knackered on the concrete floor.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – Member
    Thanks guys, I’ll go with 20kg and put the glazier on speed dial.

😆

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Had my first proper go today and I think I made the right choice with the 20kg, although I think it maybe a little while before I’m doing snatches. It took a while to get my form right, or close to right, I knew I was bending my knees too much and shins were going way over vertical but couldn’t get my head around what I was doing wrong. Watched a few vids then it clicked I needed to bend at the hips more and drop the chest lower.

Did two sets of 40 which was about the limit before I felt my grip starting to weaken and three ten minute mixed drills which equalled a bloody good workout

Cheers

big_n_daft
    Free Member

don’t forget to do Halo’s and the one arm get up’s 😀

docstar
    Free Member

Get a 16kg or 20kg wolverson fitness one with the bare metal handle, they were doing free mainland delivery a while back.
    Don’t stop at swings get in some snatches, high pulls, one armed rows, turkish get-ups etc there’s a kettlebell app for ipod touch/ iphone by gb fitness and its really good.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I think I was doing halos, the one where you kinda roll it around the back of your head? Have been doing Turkish get ups for a while with dumb bells.

I’ve probably got the names wrong but have been doing –

Two handed swings
    Clean and press
    High pulls
    Figure of eights
    Passing around the waist type thingies
    Halos
    Military press
    Goblet squat
    Lunges
    Single leg RDL

I attemted a windmill with the 20kg and realised my flexability is awful, will do with a 12kg dumbell for now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kettlebell selection’ is closed to new replies.