Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kenda Small Block 8's
  • rootes1

anyone run these?

grippy?

Trimix
    Free Member

Not in the damp wet leafy conditions we had last night on Shotover. My mate who was using them spent most of the ride in the bush/hedge. Much to our amusement.

It was not very muddy, just damp and leafy. But the space between the blocks was soon filled with mud. He would have got more grip if he turned the tires inside out.

Have you ever seen a mud tyre with close blocks – No. There is a reason for that.

In the dry they are probably good.

rootes1

yer would only use then in dry(ish) hard conditions..

having said hat even the other day out at pirbright it is really quite dry..

currently run Geax Sagauro – they have close blocks and they don't clog up, but they seem seem to be hard to get hold of at the mo in 29er size

justlooking for something similar

nuke

Good in the dry/damp. Light but thin walls that are easy to damage. Left mine in the garage last winter and some mice ate them 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Brilliant in the dry. Shockingly bad in the wet. Not a tyre for people who don't like changing tyres depending on conditions.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Actually quite good on wet rocky stuff, but yes crap with any form of mud.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've run them since about April until last weekend when I changed the front for a Mud-X.
    Fast running and grippy in the dry but you'll come across steering issues in any form of mud (hence why I've just changed the front). I'm keeping the back on until Delamere turns into a mud-wrestlers playpen as it seems to work OK at the moment.
    Great tyres but not everybodys cup of tea. Depends where/what you ride.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The keyword here is "relative".

They are extremely grippy, "realtive" to similar looking tyres. It's amazing what you can get away with on them but you have to be realistic about what to expect from them. I know there was a big thread on Bike Radar bithcing about them because they got this amazing review in the mag about how fast and grippy they were. The drones went and bought them in their masses and were shocked to find that they were not an all year round replacement for your usual knobby treads.

If you only ride trail centres they'll be fine all year round. Otherwise save for dry weather or run rear only.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Here in Australia they are probably the best tyre to run for 8 months of the year , we have super dry hardpack and hardpack with loose . Awesome tyres for dry , but even the slightest sign of mud and they clog up immediately.

They wear pretty quick on the back too .

ozzybmx
    Free Member

I actually have a set of new 2.35's sitting waiting … should probably fit them now .

poppa
    Free Member

2.35" are massive and quite lightweight, great tyres for dry/loose with perhaps a few moist patches here and there. They are not designed for wet/mud though, so don't complain when they're crap in those conditions!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

yes, awesome in the dry, seriously seriously fast, grippy and with plenty of volume so comfy too.

dire in mud though. Mine went into hibernation last night in favour of some spesh enduro pros. which are awesome winter tyres.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I like mine.

On the Holeshot for pump track stuff in 2.35 and on the back of the kobe in 2.1 for schpeed.

I can imagien they are too closely packed for mud and typical UK XC hacking but haven't done it so can't say.

If anyone hates them and wants rid I will happily take them off your hands 😎

roach

Great tyre for trail centre type stuff but yes the sidewalls are thin as I had to repair one of mine the other night due to an inch long gash.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They're fine at trail centres regardless of the conditions – its only really mud thats a problem. Wet rocks or gravel or damp grass isn't too much of a problem, its when the fine tread packs up with mud.

They're large and light for their size too.

AndyRT
    Free Member

the best non muddy conditions tyre out there. Drifts beautifully and rolls really well too. As soon as it gets a little muddy, I prefer the Mountain King, and then Mud X for the nasty gloopy stuff.

This is all relevant to rear only. On the front I run the Minion, but tempted by Rain King and new Kenda tyres…

Keva
    Free Member

pretty much summed up by everyone else really, brilliant dry conditions summmer tyre, rubbish as soon as they see any mud, wear out on the back quickly – just swapped mine around. Should probably get a few more rides in on them before it all turns to mud.

Kev

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Just another thing on them , they are sh1t hard to seal going tubeless with stans…. the sidewall "pop" small bubbles for a few weeks , so if you usually run 80-100ml of stans , stick 200ml in and they will seal up withing 2-3 weeks , leaving your 80-100ml in there .

hardest tyre ever to seal, but awesome once sealed up.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kenda Small Block 8's’ is closed to new replies.