Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Keighley, Bingley, Shipley, Bradford bikists
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

If you have no plans this Sunday (28th), we are meeting at Harden Moor car park (on Keighley Road, Harden) at 9.30am to continue digging new trails in St Ives Estate. Anybody willing to lend a hand will be very welcome.
    All tools will be provided, you just need to supply the muscles (maybe bring your favourite spade). Bring your own food and water, appropriate footwear and gloves.
    If you arrive later, we will be somewhere along the dotted line on the map attached (red bit). even a couple of hours would all help towards making quick progress to open up this trail to bikes.

More info on our website forum, or join our Facebook group – SingletrAction St Ives Bingley Trail Crew.
    See you there
    SingletrAction

trout
    Free Member

I think we will be there Paul

Mugboo

Oh, go on then 🙂

grittyshaker
    Free Member

I may well join you. Took a shufty a couple of weeks back. Some interesting sections of trail emerging.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Bah, I feel a chump for never helping out at these but I’m never free on sundays.

trout
    Free Member

Lemonysam
    If you cant make the dig days then just join Singletraction and at least your subs will help buy tools and Aggregate and also get you discounts in a fair few shops

Simon

I’ll be there! Maybe a little hungover, but I’ll be there.

muckytee
    Free Member

I’ll come, might be a bit late on the 9:30 start (should show up around 9:40) – but then I’m yours for the whole day.

Wellies or AM41s? What time (roughly) do you think we’ll finish?

Cheers

Mugboo

Wellies I reckon. Finish when you want but probably 4 at the latest.

Some folks start late and stay late, some of them start early and leave early too. Some crazy fools start early and stay till the death. Some folks chat more than work but it’s all good, it’s your day off so it’s your choice 🙂

It’s just a group of riders chatting about bikes and creating new trails. See y’all on Sunday.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the official dig days are 9.30am till 2pm. but, some people with commitments ie wife and kids, leave around 12.30, some at around 2pm, sometimes 4pm or later, some people aren’t early risers and arrive later. As above, you can leave when you have to or want to, any and all help is worthwhile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

DON’T FORGET, clocks go back on Sunday

Just an update on the plan for Sunday.

Following a site meet up with Bradford MDC, the nearest easily accessible place to dump aggregate was too far to expect volunteers to barrow from. BMDC now looking at options to get a tractor in and dump material nearer to where we are currently digging, but possibly not by this Sunday.

So, the likelyhood is to continue digging the trail to make ready for material, as per last month. Maybe we can we make ready another 140 metres?. I can’t absolutely promise another massive rock slab, but I think we’ve found a few other interesting rock sections to uncover and link.

Tools will be provided (but hoes and/or sharp square edge spades will be the most useful tools), bring your own food and water, appropriate footwear and gloves.
    See you there

Simon

On my way home from work at lunchtime today there was a Bradford Council pick up parked in the middle of the permissive bridleway in St Ives just above the rock drop 😯 So vehicle access is possible though I’m not quite sure how they got up there! Maybe up past the Coppice Pond and onto the bridleway from there?

Mugboo

I presume you cleared it using the rock drop 😉

trout
    Free Member

Progress is going well on what should be a cracking trail
    heres a bit of a walk through of the trail so far .

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLuHhPWkuSI[/video]

Mugboo

240m of trail bed in two digs. Over a third of that is gritstone bedrock 🙂 Throw in some material and by Spring there will be a whole new traverse.

And that’s just with Singletraction regulars ( plus Nigel, Muckytee and the chap on the Ti456), imagine how quick progress will be when all the local riders get involved.

Simon

Yep, it’d be great to see some new local faces digging at St Ives 😀

muckytee
    Free Member

I had no idea I was being filmed. My hands are still black even after a shower 😀

Maybe we should have left a poster or something, with the next dig day. I’m sure plenty of local riders will see the trail but wonder who dug it..?

Mugboo

You didn’t get booted off the bus then?

Fingers crossed that once they see the first section they’ll jump on board. And as you say, a poster at each end will then let them know what we are all about 🙂

talltom
    Free Member

I had no idea this was happening!! talked for years about how St ives would lend itself to this. Can’t do Sundays due to rugby commitments but how can I sign up to ease my conscience when riding ??

stavromuller
    Free Member

Can you post a bit more notice and on the chat forum (in case I miss it)for the next dig day? I may not be much good with a shovel but I’m ok with fetching and carrying

Simon

Dig days are last Sunday of the month, so next one will be Sunday 25th November – put it on your calendar, it would be great to have you along 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As Si says, official dig days are the last Sunday of every month.
    Progress made today 100 metres, last months dig was 140 metres. As said, overall 1/3rd or more is cleared rock slab, which won’t require aggregate. It will create a very interesting trail of mixed surfaces to ride. we also intend to make some spot repairs to the top section of Permissive Bridleway which in winter is a bog in places.
    I’m on the case with some signage along the current dig line for curious local bikers, subject to Bradford MDC approval.

It’s worth pointing out that everything we dig is with landowner agreement/approval. This trail is part of the Bradford MDC Management Plan for St Ives Estate 2012-2015, which can be viewed on their website.

Current dig progress in red, rough future dig line in black (subject to those who turn up on the day agreeing and/or changing)

muckytee
    Free Member

You didn’t get booted off the bus then?

Got a few strange looks but the drivers were fine, thanks for the lift BTW only had to wait 1 minute for the bus.

Mugboo

I noticed you were missing but you were so close to Allerton Estate I presumed you’d been kidnapped 🙂

muckytee
    Free Member

Phahaha 😆

Tess
    Free Member

Went up to St Ives this morning to have a look at your handiwork, very impressed, cannot wait to ride it, will contribute financially.

Mugboo

Cheers Tess, please spread the word. Only dissapointment so far is a lack of new faces, still it’s early days 🙂

grittyshaker
    Free Member

the chap on the Ti456

That’s me!

Had a look yesterday at what had been done after I left. Great progress. Will be along next time if at all possible.

Mugboo

Nice one dude, good to have you onboard 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We are back on Sunday 25th Nov if anyone is kicking their heels and wants to put something back into a local community mtb project. Sorry, forgot to post earlier.
    We are meeting at Harden Moor car park (on Keighley Road, Harden) at 9.30am to continue digging new trails in St Ives Estate. Anybody willing to lend a hand will be very welcome.
    All tools will be provided, you just need to supply the muscles (maybe bring your favourite spade). Bring your own food and water, appropriate footwear and gloves (gloves are available tho).
    If you arrive later, we will be somewhere along the dotted line on the map attached (red bit is dug trail, black bit is where we are going). even a couple of hours would all help towards making quick progress to open up this trail to bikes.
    If we get a good turn out, we may reach the path.

pennine
    Free Member

Hats off to you guys for all the work. Chronic back sufferer (don’t even dig my own garden) so can’t join in.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have you been and had a look pennine?

pennine
    Free Member

Considering it’s almost on my doorstep I haven’t been around the Bash lately. Recouperating from major surgery at the moment so no riding for at least a month or so. But once healed I’ll come and have a look.

Mugboo

If your not a Singletraction member already you can join and help that way 🙂

Simon

Bump!

Don’t forget there’s trailbuilding at St Ives today, everyone welcome.

Even if you can can only spare an hour it all helps and it’d be great to see some new faces. We’ve made great progress so far but more pairs of hands would speed things up.

Details above in B.A.Nana’s post.

sturmey
    Free Member

Racing at bingley today sorry might pop up after if ive got the energy.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Had a look at the weekend.

The permissive bridleway which follows the wall from Harden Moor carpark to the Harden “Lodge/Road Entrance” is in a right state. I saw vehicle tracks and dumped surfacing material. Any plans to maintain this bit of trail?

Also the new trail now ends in a very wet area. What solutions are being considered here? Raised woodwork?

Last question. Is there a dig day scheduled over the Christmas break?

Thanks

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi
    There are intentions to repair the PBW, altho I’m not sure how this will pan out in terms of our involvement. We have been offered a corridor running parallel to build a new armoured trail on, so that may be our focus, leaving the PBW repair to the BMDC Countryside & Rights of Way people. However, in the short term, we may do some spot repairs.
    Where has the material been dumped, is it actually on the PBW?
    last Monday, we had a volunteer group from LloydsTSB and material was brought in to start surfacing, but it was put in a place we decided we couldn’t expect them to barrow from.
    I don’t see us using woodwork, it’s expensive, it has to be replaced every 10 years or so, BMDC probably won’t be keen unless it’s absolutely necessary. We’ll either, pile loads of rock in and surface or float the trail on Geotex type materials (we already have a few rolls). The surfacing material provided by BMDC is not really ideal.
    Dig day is the last Sunday 30 December. And for that I have to thank you for the reminder. I’d completely forgotten to do a facebook/Forun reminder.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

The PBW really is in a shocking state, across Harden Moor too. The material I saw was on the woodland edge, just to the south of the new trail. at the top of an apparently little used forestry track which runs parallel to the PBW. It was vehicle tracks lower down which prompted me to follow it.

Was just curious about how the bog was going to be dealt with. Looks bottomless!

I hope to see you on the 30th.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Keighley, Bingley, Shipley, Bradford bikists’ is closed to new replies.