Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kaspersky and jerky video playback
  • molgrips
    Free Member

When Kaspersky is on (but not scanning or updating or anything) then blu-ray playback is jerky and annoying. Wtf? Why would my AV be interfering with video playback? Is it somehow scanning every frame or what?

Unimpressed.

jon1973
    Free Member

Most expencive AV ‘solutions’ seem to be a huge drain on the computers resources – for me, Norton was terrible. I use AVG which seems to work quite well without causing problems. I have Linux now, so I don’t use a virus checker.

Waderider
    Free Member

Junk Kaspersky, try something free. Like MS Security Essentials.

Or get an adult operating system like linux.

(I used Kaspersky last maybe 4 years ago, it was good, but more resource intensive than MSE. It’s a problem only resolved by abandoning Windows. Windows wastes so much time fighting the net, prefetching, defragging, scanning, HD clocking. Who’s in charge of your computer, you or the OS?)

This is a rant and for that I apologise. This post in no way constitutes an answer to your original question, except maybe the first sentence.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but what’s it doing? Not doing anything else apart from playing a blu ray, so why would it be chewing cpu? Oh and CPU was not maxed out either.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kaspersky was free, from my bank. That is why I am using/trialling it. It does seem to be a pain in the balls to be frank.

And re Linux, if I wanted to faff about with a home made pile of geek wet dream, I would. I’ve done it before and got fed up with it.

But apology accepted 🙂

antigee

Or get an adult operating system like linux.

and junk all my printers because no drivers available?

back to OP check system resources and how much % of cpu Kapersky is using – i found that it was almost continously using a lot of capacity – there is some sort of fix involving deleting some temp files which apparently it likes creating and then spends a lot of time checking but as my license was about to expire i junked it

Waderider
    Free Member

and junk all my printers because no drivers available?

I’ve yet to come across a printer that didn’t work the moment it was plugged in. But I grant you that you can’t fit every driver under the sun on a CD sized image.

I love my superior OS. *Gloat*

antigee

I’ve yet to come across a printer that didn’t work the moment it was plugged in

might be a numpty but bought a linux notebook to give it go and as far as i could find out no drivers are available for lexmark printers because the mnfr won’t allow open development – saves on paper i guess – wouldn’t mind being corrected either

scottyjohn
    Free Member

AV usually has an on-access file scan function which totally screws with video capture or playback. Id disable the AV when watching the movie, or exclude the folder where your movies are from AV on access scan

molgrips
    Free Member

back to OP check system resources and how much % of cpu Kapersky is using – i found that it was almost continously using a lot of capacity

Not much. Single figures %age. Like I say the CPU didn’t seem overworked, but the playback was just non-smooth. And it was from a disk rather than a local folder.

Cougar

Configure the on-demand scanner to scan on write, not on read.

(run a full scan before you do this)

molgrips
    Free Member

But won’t that fail to catch viruses on removeable media?

EDIT: It’s set to ‘smart’ scan instead of read or write. Not very bloody smart if it scans a bluray data stream constantly, is it?

Cougar

But won’t that fail to catch viruses on removeable media?

Do you run anything directly from removable media, or do you copy it locally first?

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point. I don’t usually run it, but it’s usually not executable stuff anyway. Apart from install CDs and the like…?

Cougar

<nods>

TBH, I can’t remember the last time I saw a virus on install media – well, on legitimate install media anyway. It’s that risk assessment thing again, I’d chance it personally.

A bigger danger is USB drives, pendrives especially (you don’t know where they’ve been). There’s a util called, ah, “Autorun eater” I think, from MajorGeeks, which will stand on suspicious behaviour from promiscuous little pendrives that have been sticking their connectors in dirty computers of the night.

PJay
    Free Member

Tucked away somewhere in Kaspersky’s settings is a “Threats and Exclusions” option. Once open you should find a “Trusted Programs” tab where you can add specific programs and configure how Kaspersky handles them. There should be an option to prevent Kaspersky scanning opened files, I don’t know whether it’ll help but it’s worth a try. Elsewhere there’s a setting to force Kaspersky to conceed resources to other programs, again probably worth a try.

Kaspersky generally works well for me on a rather old 2gb dual-core system but it can really slow things down in places.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

Surely you can just disable auto-run? I think auto-run is off by default on W7 is it not? I get a dialog with a list of stuff when I insert something. Or can this be subverted by malware?

BTW I think I am leaning towards binning this for MSE. MSE looks much less intrusive and gets good reviews.

Cougar

Autorun Eater here, with description.

http://majorgeeks.com/Autorun_Eater_d6074.html

I’m a fan of MSE, has to be said. I’ve been running it for a while now and I’m pretty impressed.

Waderider
    Free Member

no drivers are available for lexmark printers

I do believe you are correct, I had heard that and you describe one of the roots of the problem.

Molgrips, sorry for partially hijacking your thread. Hope you get it sorted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kaspersky and jerky video playback’ is closed to new replies.