Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Just test road a Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, but undecided.
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I was all set on buying a diverge carbon comp as an additional bike for commuting and winter riding, but after test riding one, I found the front end felt harsh in terms of road bumps and buzz and the rear to only be marginally different to my existing pure road racing bike. What was a shame was that the stock tyres on the 2016 are 25c and were inflated to 100 psi. Anyone on a position to comment as to whether replacing the 25c with 32c made it a MUCH softer ride?

They also had a Cannondale Slate in the shop, which I didn’t try, but did really like the look of. I just concluded that an aluminium frame would make the Slate a hard ride and no good at absorbing road buzz. Again, please comment if you have one or have ridden one.

Thanks

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Damn those locking valve caps!

binno
    Free Member

32mm tyres are way more plush than25c tyres. Massive difference especially if you fit some quality supple 32mm’s on it.

I quite fancy one, felt like a mountain bike’s road bike, slower steering, less snap than a road bike.

Anyone know if the front rack mounts have been positioned correctly this year?

binno
    Free Member

BTW: Demoed a Slate. Not a road bike, no full length mudguard mounts, no rack mounts, limited tyre options but otherwise rather nice.

flanagaj
    Free Member

32mm tyres are way more plush than25c tyres. Massive difference especially if you fit some quality supple 32mm’s on it.

They seem to have changed the tires for this year. They were sold with 32c last year and have moved to 25c this year.

The slate did look really nice, but the gear ratio of 52/38 and a 28 max rear seemed like a very odd combination. It has rear mounts for what looked like a rack / mudguard. Just wonder whether it would be a decent bike for commuting or whether the diverge would make more sense.

Ioneonic

In terms of road buzz, my view is that tyre volume and quality are the single biggest factor.
    So your test ride was as expected. Not really a test of what I hear the bike is capable of, in my view.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have 28s on my Diverge. Still quick on the road but a lot more comfy.
    I would but a Slate of i was buying tomorrow. Fantastic bike only marred by awful OEM tyres.
    If money was no option I would buy an Open U.P

flanagaj
    Free Member

I have 28s on my Diverge. Still quick on the road but a lot more comfy.
    I would but a Slate of i was buying tomorrow. Fantastic bike only marred by awful OEM tyres. If money was no option I would buy an Open U.P

Are you saying that given the choice between the slate and diverge you would choose the slate?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Diverge has 30mm Challenge Strada Bianca tyres. Pressure changes according to route planned.

It’s ace. The stock tyres are OK, but tyres, and more specifically tyre pressures, aren’t why you buy a bike.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I would rather have a Slate than my Diverge.

Just budget for a tyre change.

flap_jack
    Free Member

My Diverge came with 32mm, the test ride convinced me to buy it ! As CFH implies, maybe it’s not for you…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Just test road a Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, but undecided.’ is closed to new replies.