Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • “just riding along mech mashing”
  • Radioman

While on a gentle XC ride today in Herts Woods on the Cove Handjob hardtail, I had one of those unlucky mech mash ups that so far after many years of cycling have luckily so far avoided.

I was just gently cornering on leaves not going very fast & suddenly came to a halt with a large stick rammed in the back wheel. I dont know where it came from but I think it must have sprung up after riding over one end of it..

This ripped the XT mech in half! One half was tangled in the spokes with the Aluminium mech body sheared through near the adjuster screws. Luckily my mech hanger on the frame was saved by the “hanger banger” and didnt even bend! A couple of spokes were also broken in my 3 week old Mavic 819 UST wheelset…darn!

It was a long walk back…I didnt bother trying to single speed the chain. At least I only mashed an XT(was quite an old one luckily!)… would have been sad to have done that to XTR! The rear wheel is back in the shop for truing .

Anyway it was a sunny day and at least I had a good ride for an hour or so. I’ve found an old XT mech in the shed to replace it too, so not all bad!

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Done it twice in 30 years once on a tree stump hidden in the undergrowth. The other time chain snapped wrapped itself round mech and bent the mech stops and bust hanger.

Tyredocter
    Free Member

Simples! Get a derailler gaurd that bolts to the axle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘“just riding along mech mashing”’ is closed to new replies.