Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just one car clutch(?) causing KNEE pain – AGH
  • Aus
    Free Member

Never had this before. Wife changed car a while back and increasingly I'm suffering knee pain (back of knee) in the left leg. Assume it's the clutch. Happens after even 5 mins of driving. Pain feels like I've twisted my knee and it's swollen. The clutch doesn't feel at all heavy, and my wife says it's exactly the same as any other car. I've tried adjusting the seat every which way. If I don't drive her car, no pain so am confident it's related to the car. Drove it this morning for 10 mins (first time for a week) and now sitting here with an aching knee 🙁

Don't get any pain when I drive my old Golf (which I drive regularly).

Any tips/clues to solve – would be a pain to have to change car again.

hainey
    Free Member

Its not a Renault by any chance?

Aus
    Free Member

nope – an '02 low miler BMW 5 estate, petrol 525

genesis
    Free Member

More pedal offset with it being rwd and having a transmission tunnel? Just grasping at straws here.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had the same thing with a company 306 diesel. Company didn't want to know. One of the many reasons I left in the end.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I would agree with Genesis, people I work with have complained about the same problem when changing over to BMW. You sit with your feet to the right as the tunnel forces the driving position that way.

genesis
    Free Member

Found it with some rally cars as they are desinged to be lhd first things like clutch release and transfer boxes tend to be on the rhs of a box making for smaller footwells.

Aus
    Free Member

ah – kind of makes sense. Is it the sort of thing your knee gets used to, or just scuppered (albeit been the best part of a year now. Never had this issue in any of our previous cars (mostly VW. Bad news if it means changing as wife v much likes the car

cp

could be alsorts – a bit less support from the seat under your knee, slightly different angle of the base of the seat, pedal offset etc… i find the backs of my legs ache when driving long distance in my gf's micra, because there isn't as much support under my thighs as in my subaru.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Try having the seat in a different position (further forward or back) – might get your knee out of whatever position is currently giving you problems.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks – have played with seat adjustment to the nth degree (up/down, back/forwards, tilt, lumbar/internal pads etc)… I think the seat's well supported all round (back, lower back, thighs), lots of adjustment, (and v comfortable) … but all the playing hasn't made any difference

br
    Free Member

Its not a wallet in your back pocket thats making you sit funny is it?

Don't laugh, I read it once in an article about 'sitting properly'.

tonyg2003

I had the wallet in the back pocket syndrome. It caused sciatica with me.

I find that many German cars, in manual form, have such offset pedals (try a new A4) that they give me loads of grief (they compromise the design for RHD). It was one of the reason I bought my Accord (perfectly straight wheel and pedal placements). I guess that given the Honda is designed straght off as RHD it makes sense. Volvo have touted straight sitting positions too for many years. One of the reasons, along with great seats, is why they are comfortable.

You might be able to tweak your position in the Beemer however some cars you just never get comfortable. Maybe you need an auto?

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

I suffered with the wallet in the back right hand pocket syndrome. It causes your back to be slightly off centre.

I'd agree that it's probably the position you are sitting in. Raise the seat so that your thighs are supported. Works for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just one car clutch(?) causing KNEE pain – AGH’ is closed to new replies.