Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Just how good is mountainbiking?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love it. Sometimes I lack the motivation but once I’m out everything falls into place. It’s seen me through some hard times too, when I 1st started MTBing I was going through a divorce, running a business that was rapidly going DH (unlike me, geddit?) & my Mums illness. I’m sure just being out in the countryside got me through it. Even now I just love being in the middle of nowhere as is possible.
    It’s rubbing off too, my lad Mark is well into it & we ride together along with his mates, theyre between 25-28 & I’m 58, & some young lads at work are into it as well, they look at me like some kind of Guru!
    Unfortunately, years & years of riding in every weather condition that the UK has had on offer means I’m a bit of a ‘fair weather rider’ nowadays & I’ve got the T shirt to prove it! I’ll keep biking as long as I can thats for sure!

vickypea
    Free Member

I love it! I had surgery to my spine 2 weeks ago and am off MTB for 6 months. I got in lots of rides before the operation but I’m champing at the bit to get riding again. How will I manage to keep my patience til April 2015?

zippykona

Having new lights means riding up to Epsom Downs after work ,watching this ??? and then once it’s dark blasting down hill home.
    Biking ,it’s bloody wonderful.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’d go crazy without it, simple as that.

spacemonkey

Good thread this 🙂

Like Drac and others, I’ve been unable to ride much since stepping into parenthood. Has given me a greater perspective on life though, and I appreciate any bike/running time more than ever.

Luckily I’ve ridden road/MTB on and off for most of my life, so I have loads of memories of trails/routes …panoramas/vistas … challenges/laughs … mechanicals/accidents … adventures/misadventures to reflect on – the combination of which give me a pretty grounded sense of joy and gratitude.

EDIT: My last few bikes have been Specialized – my missus calls them Spiritualised because she knows how much I enjoy my freedom/escapism 🙂

ton

vickypea, hope you heal well love, and remember to do all you physio, cos it will help you no end.

good luck 😀

el_boufador

Yep, its amazing. Been going at it for about 23 years now, more than 2/3 of my life, and I still absolutely love it… more than almost anything. Keeps me fit, sane, sharp and feeling young.
    I wonder how people cope without it, or something similar.
    I often wonder how my life would have turned out had I not found mtbing (undoubtedly much worse)

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’ve been unable to ride much since stepping into parenthood. Has given me a greater perspective on life though, and I appreciate any bike/running time more than ever.

Exactly my experience too! My eldest daughter has just started school now, so just starting to get into riding again. I’ll probably only get 2 shortish rides in per week, but I’ll make sure they count!

Kunstler

Aye to all that.

I’ve had a pretty amazing summer/year when it comes to biking (I may start another feel good thread around that idea soon) when other parts of life haven’t been as flowy. And very uncharacteristically I’ve not even been out of the door today, dithering over expectations of myself to do various things when really the best thing I can do to get things moving or just to relieve myself of having expectations is to get on the bike and see where I get to.

I have spoilt myself this year in terms of where I’ve ridden but I need to remind myself for the coming winter that it’s a wonderful thing to just ride wherever and whenever I can.

chrishc777
    Free Member

wordnumb
    Free Member

It’ll do until I can afford a spaceship.

takisawa2

Frequently not in a great place at the moment, but throw my leg over a bike, any bike, & I’m in a better place for a while.
    Never met you Ton, but your an inspiration.

jedi

high5 that ton. mtb rocks!

RepackRider
    Free Member

It’s been pretty @#$%^& good to me.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I love just getting out on the bike,with friends or on my own, off road or quiet country lanes on the road bike it’s all good.
    What a great invention the bicycle is.

vickypea
    Free Member

Thanks ton, I will definitely do all the physio. Currently doing walking 🙂

dudeofdoom

i just love it….dunnno why people bother road riding tbh gotta be the most riskiest thing playing with the 1.5 ton armoured kid carriers on a daily basis then whining on here how you’ve lost 🙂

I’m lucky and got a nice bike commute but weekends is for full suss fun and even got the dogs doing it which is even more fun…so chilling…

flap_jack
    Free Member

vikeypea, mrs_flap had serious spine surgery 17 years ago. She was told she wouldn’t be able to run or cycle. She regularly runs 10k and has done three (road) centuries this year. Good luck !

ampthill

Just to say I really appreciate this thread

I’ve never met Ton but its just great to here that he is back on form and having fun

I’m also touched out how many people have been able to say how little they ride for various reasons. I’m still partly recovering from injury and its the season for viruses and knackeredness (teaching is brilliant but those 2 things make the autumn harder). Often when I come on here I think I’m the only one not on a bike for 8 hours plus per week

So I’ll treasure the fact that I was on my bike last Sunday and will be out again this afternoon. That’ll make I think 9 rides in the last month. I’ll enjoy that for what it is rather than worrying about who has done more

forge197
    Free Member

This year my work/life balance is a mess, been out twice this weekend Friday and Today. With views like this I have to make sure I keep the balance right as you feel so much better for it, hardly ridden this year with so much on and many demands but it’s been good to be back in the saddle last couple of days.

Don’t get views like this waiting for a phone to ring or sat at a desk. I’ve not ridden as much as I have the last three days all year.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Its addictive.
    Just got in from ride…..buzzing 😀
    Nice bike forge197.

stewartc
    Free Member

Managed to get in 70km’s of riding over a long weekend, makes the Monday morning blues less blue, maybe more cyan.
    Looking forward to autumn and winter, makes the Hong Kong trails more bearable.

senorj

Bravo OP. Offroad cycling is where it’s at for me too, but I’ve not been near a mountain since March 🙁 .
    Li’l J takes up most of my time .I still get plenty of cx joy tho and Ive just dicovered the Northern tip of the Chiltern Hills ,just getting lost and finding some new bways and cheek gives me great pleasure. 🙂
    Like others , I also use it as head therapy.

forge197
    Free Member

Thanks caffeineokdbean, am very pleased with it my first Cotic, it’s a joy to ride.

Mugboo

At 43 with one child and an understanding missus I’ve ridden more this year than ever, or at least more variation.

PMBA Enduro yesterday and a Lakes trip booked in for November.

Apart from snowboarding, which other sport allows you to push the limits of traction and mostly just punish yourself with cuts and bruises? Where every penny spent rewards you with fitness and smiles? Where everybody you meet is friendly and happy to swap stories & trails?

This year, as usual, I’ve been given loads of really good route advice from the good burghers of STW inc Ton,chased 5 very fast locals down MT Semnoz and been shown Haldons best bits by NukeproofNik of TQ3riders, all because we love to show people the best bits (unless you live in Hebden Bridge & I’ve got my own insider for that).

Bring on the mud, yesterday’s Enduro showed up my lack of slippery skillz 🙂

wiggviv
    Free Member

Ton – canal route 66 & 67 for me ride from Cookridge to Stourton every day our paths might cross….most off-road and side streets MAGIC early morning with lights.

Single speed Pomp downhill to work – climb home.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Just how good is mountainbiking?’ is closed to new replies.