Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • just had a bizarre phone call…
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

…from a heavily accented bloke claiming to be from ‘i.t department’ (this was at home by the way, not at work) informing me that my computer was ‘wrong, sending error messages’. I politely thanked him, informed him I would carry out a security scan, and hung up. What’s all that about then?

wwaswas

‘find’ a virus and get you to pay them to fix it.

DezB
    Free Member

One of them scammers you hear about. You’re supposed to egg him on, keep him on the line and eventually piss him off..

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

keep them on line as long as possible and post the result here
    there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about it

Cougar

It’s a scam.

They get you to look at event viewer to go “look, errors,” then direct you to logmein so they can fix it, whereupon they install a load of malware and ask you for your credit card details to fix it.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Scamtastic! I gave him my bank details though, just in case 😉

Russell96

Talk you through looking at some error log, convince you that this means you should either give them remote control of your PC or install a bit of their security software, trying then to charge you for it and most likely installing a trojan/key logger on your PC.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They like it when you whisper sweet nothings. Then tell them it’s 5 quid a minute if they want to continue on to the hot and heavy stufff.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just wanted to hear your voice.

redthunder
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Sxi3-VW7k&feature=related[/video]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘just had a bizarre phone call…’ is closed to new replies.