Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Just being picky or not?
  • letmetalktomark

Bought some mtb tyres recently that came packed in the suppliers original packaging.

The packaging stated a weight for the tyres – part of the reason for me buying them.

Out of curiosity I weighed both tyres and found that they both weigh in the region of 80g more than the packaging states.

Anything I can do/should do?

druidh
    Free Member

You have the right return them for a full refund, but I’d say that’s pretty standard variation.

scaredypants

get a drill and remove some bits ?

ride em on the road for a bit ?

light tyres are generally fragile anyway IMO/E

Junkyard
    Free Member

breach of contract I would assume – that is probably 15% out I assume for a light tyre? thats quite a large margin of error

andyl
    Free Member

are your scales calibrated?

Are they the tyres you really want for their grip and handling characteristics? Some factors are more important than 80g of weight.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Skidz 😉

theboatman
    Free Member

A lad at work recently return a stem to planet x for being about 30g over the claimed weight, was refunded without quibble.

brakes
    Free Member

maybe the gravity is stronger where you are

thomthumb
    Free Member

tyres are notoriously bad for published weights – not only do they change from batch to batch but from tyre to tyre, within a batch.

this is why some retailers will pick weighed tyres for you. jra etc.

RustySpanner

Pick your nose?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Squeeze one out, cough up some phlegm, bash the pillar of the community, shave off hair, try and sneeze.

How much mud weight do you reckon gets picked up on a winter ride?

I only think you’ll get sympathy if these are particularly expensive and bought from a race sympathetic outlet. Are you a racer yourself?

HermanShake
    Free Member

By the way I drilled 23 1cm dia holes in my Trangia windshield (in 1/4 of it) and only saved 2g. I get bitten by the weenie bug sometimes too 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Herman Shake – Member

By the way I drilled 23 1cm dia holes in my Trangia windshield (in 1/4 of it) and only saved 2g. I get bitten by the weenie bug sometimes too

Quality!

thats as good as cutting the handle off your clothesbrush

Northwind

As’s been said- you’re within your rights to be annoyed and to reject them, but you should ask yourself first if it actually matters to you.

Pook

have a poo before you ride.

iain1775
    Free Member

Fill them with helium
    Voila

Drac

Stop worrying about such trivial things.

spooky_b329

Did it state weights on the website, or just on the tyres packaging once you got them?

xcgb
    Free Member

Really! 😯

Yeah send them back thats terrible………..

Or just go for a ride maybe

robbieh
    Free Member

You could stop every 10mins and clean off 80grms of mud off the rest of the bike

ruscle
    Free Member

Bought pairs of tyres and they never weigh whats stated. I have had them coe under the stated weight and then be alot over, just stick the lighter tyre on the back……

njee20
    Free Member

If it’s a lightweight tyre I’d send it back. On One’s Rocket Rons were known for being rather portly, often 100g more than claimed. As the best thing about Rons is the fact they weigh chuff all, having heavy ones isn’t so good!

If it’s a 2.3 DH tyre I’d probably keep it.

neil853
    Free Member

I sent back a Gobi saddle because (in my eyes) it was drastically over the stated weight, but then i’m quite anal about these things 🙂

Northwind

Just for fun, lets all buy 2.35 Highrollers then send them back because they’re smaller than claimed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Just being picky or not?’ is closed to new replies.