Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Just been turned down for a Mortgage
  • franksinatra

Due to move in two weeks time. Time to panic….

House is sold, due to complete in 2 weeks
    Got a decision in principle for mortgage more than 4 weeks ago, now they have come back and declined it, based on exactly the same information.

We have 25% deposit and are trying to borrow x1.5 our combined annual income.

Been mortgage borrowers for 9 years, never missed a payment, perfect credit history.

Nothing dodgy about the house, survey was tip top.

Only issue is part of my wifes salary (GP) is on a locum basis. She has been with the same employer for 5 years and has a letter confirming that her other post would up her to full time if her locum work finishes.

To top it all, my 1 year old has got a sickness bug and my eldest (who started school three weeks ago) came home today with a letter from the Head because she was flashing her bum in the playground.

One of those days I guess….

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t take this the wrong way, but if your wife has a GP’s salary I’m sure you’ll be ok…

franksinatra

Income is fine, we can afford a mortgage bigger than what we have asked for, but we still need someone to lend the money!

ojom
    Free Member

hmm, that’s a weird one

there will be a lender somewhere that will help. believe me, i got a mortgage and i am the last person i would lend money to.

oldgit
    Free Member

How the hell is that going to be solved? You sound like ideal customers.
    On a selfish note it would explain the fall in my work. I depended a lot on people borrowing for new homes, extensions etc. If you can’t get one well!

I hear about the same thing happening with overdrafts for businesses.

loddrik
    Free Member

On a selfish note it would explain the fall complete collapse in my work. I depended a lot on people borrowing for new homes, extensions etc. If you can’t get one well!

Me too…

donsimon
    Free Member

That sounds tough, shop around there’s sure to be someone who’ll come through.

On a lighter side, am I the only one who has an interesting image of the Head?

eldest (who started school three weeks ago) came home today with a letter from the Head because she was flashing her bum in the playground.

j_me
    Free Member

You need to try and sort that. If you’ve been turned down once its possible theres something dodgy on your credit history. I would advise you get a look at your credit history and try and see why. If one lender has turned you down then its increasingly likely that others will.

Northwind

Yup, see if they’ll give you specifics, and ask what credit agency they use, then check that.

franksinatra

hmm, that’s a weird one

there will be a lender somewhere that will help. believe me, i got a mortgage and i am the last person i would lend money to.

When did you get your mortgage, I was amazed by how much the lending market has changed. My first mortgage in 2001 was 100%, they came back offering me 105% without me even asking. That was about x3 my income.

The first lender we spoke to this time around wanted a £4500 arrangement fee!!!! Plenty of lenders out there who have deals on paper but in reality just do not want to lend money and will use any excuse not to

aleigh
    Free Member

i agree – you need to find out what’s happened at that address. it’s worth getting in touch with the lender that turned you down as they’ll have an underwriting unit that will investigate why and it can at times be over-ridden depending on why your application was declined.

also sometimes if you don’t have enough debt that can have an adverse affect on your credit rating

franksinatra

hmm, that’s a weird one

Thanks for that, first time I have smiled all day!

jonb
    Free Member

Do they do a valuation on the house? They can refuse if they think it’s over priced as they stand to lose money if you default. Still 25% deposit and unlikely to default means it’s a good risk.

squin
    Free Member

Where are you based, if you’re North East/Yorkshire/South Yorkshire area I know a couple of people (whole of market brokers) who are brilliant and would probably be able to help.

Stu.

franksinatra

Based in Scotland so still blessed with / cursed by Home Reports. House was revalued by lenders as the home report was a few months old, they were happy with the survey, came back at our purchase price.

I know our credit history is good, got a car recently and credit check came back clean. Issue isn’t credit, it is their perception of the security of our earnings.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

one of my mates is obscenely rich however he has always rented houses. Him and his wife want to buy a property to live in and get fixed up proper nice however due to technically being first time buyers no one will mortage them for it. Hes like 26 or something aswell.

things are stupid huh.

ojom
    Free Member

what about approaching your own bank (assuming you haven’t yet) for the mortgage? They will more than likely be happy to lend.

You tried a different advisor/applicant service yet?

squin
    Free Member

If your wife has been with the same people for 5 years that is more stable than most people, plus she is no more likely to be laid off, plus she effectively has a job offer for permanent work at any time. There should be no issue what-so-ever, my guess is that the person you dealt with (in the bank of the broker) has packaged it incorrectly. There shouldn’t be any issue at all.

stew1982
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with a mortgage application – turned out to be an issue on my credit history from about 4 years before from a Mobile Phone billing company (through a highstreet chain – with an annoying advert) that had me black listed for about £12 they finally admitted was a mistake on their part. However it was never removed and only came up as an issue when I applied for my new mortgage – Strangely that it never affected my first application 2 years before though!!!!!

Some companies are a lot more careful and they don’t see what the actual issue was for and details – just “default on ………”

Chris.H
    Free Member

I’m afraid it probably is your wife’s status a a locum rather than been a full time employee. Mortgage companies do seem to be getting more difficult to get deals from.

My wife is a GP partner and we are currently re mortgaging. We are having to jump through hoops providing practice accounts and evidence of earnings etc. Fortunately the practice has a good accountant who is able to provide it straight away. One thing they really wanted to know about was my wife’s income protection scheme she has to have, I thing that it really helped.

oldgit
    Free Member

Too right about lending changing. Two years ago I was offered a mortgage for a second home – whilst on the mobile just driving along.
    Couldn’t borrow money for a cup of tea now.

franksinatra

Just noticed the ING mortgage advert up on the top right of this page! Just as well they are not the lenders who have turned us down!

PeteG55
    Free Member

There was a column in the previous weekends Sunday Times Money section. Sadly I didn’t read it but it outlined a rising trend in apparent perfect first time buyers being turned down for mortgages. Might be worth tracking down the article?

franksinatra

Not first time buyers though, this will be our fourth property

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Someone will lend you it, perhaps at a slightly higher rate but you will be fine!

epicyclo

Probably a sign that there’s not much liquid cash floating around.

The artificially low interest rates on offer in this country mean that the big money boys have simply shifted their funds overseas.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I would def. recommend going to a broker. It might cost you a couple of hundred quid, but as well as working for you, they also perform due diligence on behalf of the lender.

This worked for us a few years ago when we had a “complicated” story that would have been impossible to explain over the phone to a lender direct. In our case we had good credit but had already sold our own house so had no active mortgage, we were living in temp accomodation and not on electoral roll, I was still on probation in mew job, wife had firm job offer but no contract etc. Our broker just smoothed it over by signing the box for the lender saying that she had checked we could afford it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Get a financial adviser/agent? They hunt around for you. We had to fanny about a bit because I’m self employed, but the adviser guy sorted it. He was a bit of a dodgy geezer mind, but we ended up with Nationwide instead of Northern Rock and they are fab to be honest.

Or you could just give Nationwide a call – they seem really really nice and helpful, and their min SBR is silly low (of course you won’t get that, but if BoE is still low when your deal expires etc you will).

dmiller
    Free Member

The royal bank of Scotland is pretty good. I just sorted my mortgage through them and it was pretty painless to be honest! Good luck.

franksinatra

Or you could just give Nationwide a call – they seem really really nice and helpful, and their min SBR is silly low (of course you won’t get that, but if BoE is still low when your deal expires etc you will).

How wrong you are! It is Nationwide who have taken 4 weeks to process the application and declined it!

vinnyeh

How wrong you are! It is Nationwide who have taken 4 weeks to process the application and declined it!

Same boat here- we’ve got a Nationwide mortgage, and because my wife’s only got a couple of years accounts, and I’ve given up working, they won’t let us move house, even keeping the mortgage borrowing the same and throwing cash at the purchase. Luckily we’re on their svr at the moment- we’re going to have to let the house out and rent in order to move!

KT1973
    Free Member

The exact same happened to me in 1998 when I bought my first house. It was approved and then rejected by Northern Rock (thankfully) with only a week to go to the sale since half of my salary at the time was bonus.
    I went to Bradford and Bingley and got one no probs- shop around you’ll be ok

MSP

nationwide are shysters!

They reposed a friends home after his divorce, even though he had never missed a payment. They would not re-mortgage him as an individual saying that his income was not high enough to cover the mortgage, although he was managing to already pay it every month. I still can’t see how they managed to push it through the legal system, it leaves me gobsmacked every time I think about it.

djglover
    Free Member

Have you tried first direct?

molgrips
    Free Member

It is Nationwide who have taken 4 weeks to process the application and declined it!

Wow.. they were the only people who’d take my self-employed arse on their books but that was 3.5 years ago. You must really be dodgy 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

and their min SBR is silly low (of course you won’t get that, but if BoE is still low when your deal expires etc you will).

Not any more – they stopped that about a year ago, new people with them get onto a different rate after their mortgage ends, which is currently something like 4%, with no upper limit or link to the Bank of England rate.

Joe

Daffy

Can’t you do a single person mortgage based on a higher multiple of just your own salary? say 4*?

M

br
    Free Member

We have 25% deposit and are trying to borrow x1.5 our combined annual income.

And your wife is a GP (or almost a GP).

If you’re having trouble no wonder they are reporting mortgage approvals at a low.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/graphs-mortgage-approvals.php

And August was down (45000) as well.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Hi There, saw your post I can recommend a good mortgage advisor Frank, you can e-mail him at gregor@melrosemortgagesolutions.com

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The same thing happened to myself and Mrs FD last autumn when we applied for a mortgage (Mrs FD has a slightly dodgy credit history from 5 years ago, and beleive me we have researched this to the hilt. We had an agreement in principal 2 weeks before due to sign, and then out of the blue we got a letter saying our application had been declined.

Apperently the agreement in principals is meaningless and its only when the underwritting is checked (which is done much much more rigorously than in the past) that a decision is actually made whether to give you a mortgage.

Our IFA was invaluable as he found an alternative mortgage. Basically the house is now solely in my name has we didnt want to risk my wife having another credit scoring. Our IFA said he had gone for a Fast Track mortgage. I didn’t even have to provide my pay slips etc.

The ridiculous thing is that I now have the mortgage soley in my name, where my salary only just covers the monthly payment !

Whatever you do, DO NOT just go on the high street and apply for another mortgage, your credit score will now show that a recent application was turned down, limiting further your chance of getting a mortgage. I assume that your application was turned down as your wife is not in full time employment, and a letter confirming that they may take her on full time is meaningless, some lenders wont give you a mortgage unless you have been in full time employment for at least 6 months prior.

Let me know if you want our IFA’s details.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Just been turned down for a Mortgage’ is closed to new replies.