Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • just been for tapas………….what do you think..
  • ton

Mackem – Member
    Tapas should really be done going from bar to bar trying each bars speciality. Bit difficult to do in the UK I suppose.

you could do this at any seaside town………..sampling crisps, nuts, jars of whelks, shrimps or prawn cocktail………. 😆

spacehopper

er… viva cuba is still there isnt it? it better not have shut down in the last month… i love it there!

http://www.vivacubaleeds.co.uk/

iDave
    Free Member

the moro cookbook is pretty good for tapas recipes and ideas

and most tapas is iDave diet friendly…….

ton

tapas…….atkins??
    no **** way………… 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I love the tapas food,etc, but wherever i tried it while in Barcelona I thought that too much of it was deep-fried stuff. The nicer bits were obviously better prepared/cooked/presented, but were a lot more expensive too.

BigJohn

There's a lovely little bar in the old part of Tarifa that I like to go to.

The thin sliced fillet steak in blue cheese sauce is my favourite. Well apart from the Pata Negra (like bacon-flavoured toffee). The only drink you need is Tio Fino (very dry sherry) unless you have the Manchego cheese, when you are given a sweet muscat wine.

Mmmm, what shall I cook this evening?

grumm
    Free Member

Great when you get it free in Spanish bars – often very overpriced here though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You're up north aren't you Mackem? Some great tapas bars in you neck of the woods.

In Sunderland?

Well I never…

dobo
    Free Member

i went for a thai tapas at the mango in soton, very nice indeed.
    some tapas place down oxford street ok too
    also tried some when in spain, liked that too.
    My gf made tapas when we first started going out, which was great.
    thumbs up here
    i find it anoying that at normal restruants you can get just heaps of the same dish that any normal sized person couldnt possibly eat all in one sitting..

juan
    Free Member

there is a nice thai tapas restaurant in southampton somewhere.

Mango. On portwood road. Between the mexican and the second hand shop. Hobbit side of the road 😉

Tapas are great end of thread, but I might not be very objective 😉

stumpyjon

Nice tapas restaurant in Rawtenstall, just down the road from Ride On. I love tapas, always liked seafood and the chorizo in red wine is fantastic. Really good social evening out, it's very relaxed and everyone gets to eat what they want. I always think the portions are a bit measily but end up pretty full. Can be a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.

bassspine
    Free Member

I love Barcelona, but tapas isn't really the Catalan way is it? There's better tapas elsewhere in Spain; in Barca it's often touristified

ton

the boqueria in barcelona is far from touristified basspine.

have a good read…………..

http://www.boqueria.info/Eng/index.php

slartybartfast
    Free Member

If your ever in Alicante, try Sento's tapas bar just across the road from the KFC, excellent food and very cheap.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've been there. Fabulous, delightful, beautifully fresh produce.

look here "tapas are not a Catalan tradition"

let's not argue, fabulous tapas is available in Barcelona, and we should have an Estrella and something delicious. 😉

ton

the boqueria is full of little tapas stalls, where the locals go for their lunch………….probably makes it quite a good place to go for tapas……….no??

bassspine
    Free Member

Ton, see you there!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Tapas should really be done going from bar to bar trying each bars speciality

Yep – agreed – you just reminded me of a very pleasant few hours touring just a few of said establishments in San Sebastien earlier this year – some of 'em were works of culinary art – priced to match…

Coyote
    Free Member

I love Barcelona, but tapas isn't really the Catalan way is it?

I work for a company that is based out of Barcelona and my colleagues may wish to take you to task over that comment. Last time I was in Barcelona they took great pride in taking me to quite a few Tapas bars.

donsimon
    Free Member

I'm not sure that anyone knows for sure the origin of tapas, but the more popular belief is that it is Andaluz. In an area where drinking is enjoyed and flies proloific, a way was needed to keep the flies away from said drink. A piece of bread was placed on the top of the glass to satisfy this need. I suppose that over time toppings were introduced to make the bread more interesting.
    I'm not sure of the Catalan tapas, but I would imagine it is a take on the Andaluz and satifies a touristic element.
    The Basque Country has a similar idea which they call pintxos, I think a bit more elaborate than tapas, but I will be happy to be corrected on this one as I know the Basques are very proud of their food.

spanishfly
    Free Member

Love it, my wife is making some Tapas dishes tonight for tea

brakes
    Free Member

I went to a pub in Manc yesterday that give you a free curry with your first beer
    You can keep your tapas

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I went to a pub in Manc yesterday that give you a free curry with your first beer

That’s because the beer’s so bad, they have to give you something to take the taste away! 😀

lovewookie

For the tight Scots there’s Tapas International on Sauciehall street in Glasgow (nr Kelvingrove) They have a special offer on at the beginning of the week £1 per tapas and 75p for a side.

stuff yer face.
    oh, it’s traditional and indian tapas too…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

me, the wife and a couple we are friends with went to barcelona for a weekends fun.
    we ended up in the market half way up the ramblas………..what a fantastic place to spend a couple of hours.
    seafood the like of which you never see at home, some still live and crawling about.
    and the little tapas stall’s where the local’s nip in for their lunch breaks are fantastic.

i think i am gonna go to barcelona for a autumn break, just to visit that market.

Aaahhhh. Boqueria market. My fave place in the whole planet!.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘just been for tapas………….what do you think..’ is closed to new replies.