Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • jumping techniques? help.
  • addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

hi all. need a bit of advice on how to tackle jumps and table tops at trail centres.I am hiting them at a good speed but I always seem to not get much air and i feel out of control lol. A bit of advie would be nice thanks.

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm no expert but I think the most important thing is to be relaxed on the bike. If you're tense or stiff your jump will be rubbish (and you'll have no style!).

You need to learn how to pump the take-off as well. It's not really something I can describe very well, probably because I'm not that good at it! It all comes with practice, at the start of the year I could hardly jump anything and now after a few months of constant practice I can just about clear all the tabletops at my local place (if the ground is dry and riding fast).

sailor74
    Free Member

put on some flat pedals, lower your saddle right down, push into the face of the jump as you approach the lip then allow the bike to come up under you as you are in the air.

if you must use spd's just concentrate on points 2 & 3.

thomthumb
    Free Member

flat pedals don't help you jump. they only help if you want to eject.

use the pedals your used to.

had a lesson from jedi on jumping on friday – turns out it's easier than you think.

HOME

highly reccomended

Trekster

any youtube/vimeo demo /educational vids?

Rolled through the Mabie skills/jump park on my Ti road bike Fri afternoon to much amusement to the guys there on their BigHits etc 🙄

sailor74
    Free Member

i didnt say they help you jump. The flats actually make it harder as you have to apply more technique but they more than likely will add some confidence which is half the battle. I did include an spd option.

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

i use flats pedals. I have been thinking about a skills course.

Trekster

Having been "clipped in" for the past 15yrs or so flats certainly do not instill me with any confidence. Evidenced by a night ride during the winter when I forgot I had put some on due to spuds being u/s, launched myself off a jump and very nearly into the darkness/undergrowth. Binned them next day.

thomthumb
    Free Member

sorry sailor wasn't implying you were saying that just trying to clarify for the op. (not relevant now) trekster has made the point that i was trying to make. if your learning a new technique chaning your bike set up is going to be counter productive.

A2D – if your considering skills i couldn't reccomend jedi enough.

meant to add to that that the pumping part is the key to it.

sailor74
    Free Member

you are probably right with regards pedals (not that it matters but he is using flats) but i would lay money that a change to bike setup of wider bars and probably a shorter stem will improve the situation. Just a guess but it would be interesting to know what the op is actually using in this regard.

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

my bike is a rocky mountain etsx full suss with a raceface evolve bar stem set up the stem is 90mm i think. not sure what width the bars are tho.

sailor74
    Free Member

the evolve AM bars are 660mm wide the xc ones may be narrower, if you can borrow some wider ones 711mm or wider if you like, coupled with a 70mm stem you will notice a big difference as you wont be pitched so much over the front and the wider bars offer much more stability. Obviously not being able to see you on the bike I am just guessing but having said that im pretty confident its gonna make a big difference as your issues seem to be with being 'in control'.

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

mine are evolve xc bars. thanks for the advice sailor. jumping is a area of my riding that needs improving ALOT! lol.

jedi

jumping is **** all to do with the pedlas you use.

crazy-legs

Well said Jedi, it's also sod all to do with the bars/stem/any other kit.
    Use the bike as it is, as you're used to it, don't start blaming the width of the bars!
    Start small and work up… 🙂

jedi

high 5 crazy legs

TheFlyingOx

jedi, if you're ever in Scotland I want a session with you. Handsomely paid, of course.

jedi

im in scotland in 2 weeks. only chilling riding with a few mates but will probably come up in june if demand requires 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

The bike setup will affect it a bit (maybe more in your mind), but not a great deal – down the local jumps there are plenty of kids riding what you may call "inappropriate" bikes and they do a better job than those of us with less skills/bottle on nicer bikes!

sailor74
    Free Member

ok quite clearly I am wrong and dont know anything. The op generally complained of feeling out of control, he then indicated he is running 635mm bars and a 90mm stem so going wider and possibly shorter wont help with control issues?
    As for pedals i dont think anyone said one type was 'better' than another, it was suggested flats might give a bit more confidence but that was it.
    Its all relative though, wide to one is narrow to another, but out of control is out of control.
    Anyway just my opinion this is a forum after all, its interesting that the people having a go at others suggestions havent put forward any of their own.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    im in scotland in 2 weeks. only chilling riding with a few mates but will probably come up in june if demand requires

I'd be well up for that. Put me on the list

EuroClive
    Free Member

Hi Folks,
    I'm based up here in Scotland at Mabie forest, anyone interested in learning to jump feel free to give me a shout, I teach skills sessions most weekends and am available through the week also. Having raced in all disciplines over the last 22 years with podium positions at the National Championships in four cross and podium positions down in the Alps in both Marathon Downhill and Downhill I'm sure I'll have you floating through the air in no time. All the best. Clive. ss01mbc@mac.com http://www.mtbskills.eu

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Q) "how do you jump when stood on your feet"

A) "you bend your knees, push against the ground, and when your legs are just about straight you'll take off"

Q) "so why do you expect to jump on a bike by just standing there on the pedals like a lemon?"

hitman
    Free Member

🙂

ddmonkey

If you are hitting jumps at good speed but getting no air it sounds like you are sucking the bike up underneath you as you hit the lip, rather than allowing the jump to throw you upwards. Try going a bit slower and standing up taller as you hit the up slope. Start small and work up. Pick the bike up under you and then point it where you want it go rather than being a passenger. All easier said than done but start small and keep working at it and you will improve.

tracknicko
    Free Member

flat pedals indeed dont help you jump on their own.

but a lot of people have Very bad technique as a result of using clips for years years to help them bunnyhop. (think yanking up both wheels at once in the classic clipped in bunnyhop style)

Its a technique change thing tho, no need to swap pedals for it. 100% of the UCI BMX Supercross gate is clipped in. And those lads can REALLY jump.

that said… if you are jumping badly because you are scared of crashing when clipped in, then obviously not being clipped in might help!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Single thing that improved my technique was looking ahead into the distance where you want to go, and do not ever look down! If you look down, you will probably go down!

Sancho
    Free Member

Learn how to manual
    its the basis of every skill you need on a bike.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Jumping is simple but the big stuff requires confidence more then anything, and also pumping jumps takes a little time to get used too. If you have a local BMX track or skate park have bash on the small stuff first. You will soon discover that yanking the bars is a bad thing to do must of the time, also you will learn how much speed you need for jumps etc which is something you pick up over time.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/forestry.nsf/byunique/infd-6dydtj!OpenDocument&Click=

Some ok stuff on there.

dasnut
    Free Member

buy this book:
    Mastering Mountain Skills by Brian Lopes
    read it, then go ride and put the things you learnt into action.
    watch out for crocodiles on the trail though

Jamie
    Free Member

had a lesson from jedi on jumping on friday – turns out it's easier than you think.

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/

That is what i am saving my pennies for. When i saw his van at Woburn on Friday i almost got the credit card out…..

tracknicko
    Free Member

not convinced about not looking down. but look at the landing side of the landing. not the back side, the other side.

jedi

🙂

Euro
    Free Member

not convinced about not looking down.

Agreed. If you don't look down how the heck are you supposed to spot your landing. Jumping high is all about the pump. The more you pump the higher/further you will go. Not the easiest thing to put in writing, but if you watch a ski jumpers technique just before they launch and try to apply it to your riding you'll be going in the right direction.

addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice and comments. i ride at mabie quite a bit euroclive very intrested in lessons. Its a great 4x track to learn on there like.

jedi

spoting your landing happens before you take off or at latest at the early part of the airtime. no need to keep looking down once you have seen it

EuroClive
    Free Member

Anytime, flyer's are in the Shed and I'm there most days teaching or training, look forward to hearing from you. All the best. Clive.

Inzane
    Free Member

The Brian Lopes book is good, but I find that many people can read what to do and yet never actually apply it properly while on the bike.

Getting a good instructor to work with you means you will get the feedback you require and they will be able to spot what you are doing right/wrong and get you to do the right stuff.

You can learn on your own, but there is likely to be a whole lot more trial and error, it will take longer and you might crash a bit more while doing it.

Bike setup can make a bit of difference, but is not the key. Where you are looking definitely helps (if you keep your eyes on the take-off ramp the whole way through you will probably bin it).

Learning to pump correctly makes a huge difference. Learning where you need your weight on the bike makes a huge difference. Being able to relax makes a huge difference. Finding an instructor that can teach you these things is the quickest way to make a difference.

If going it alone, find yourself a set of jumps that you can progress on and start small. If you are not confident of making the jump you will tense up and do things wrong. Once you have small mastered, step up to the next one etc

http://www.mtbskillsclinics.co.nz/
    http://mountainbikingzane.wordpress.com/

burmaboy
    Free Member

Just get out there , ride , hit small jumps then hit bigger ones. Dont be afraid of stacking. Dont be afraid of throwing the bike and bailing. And stay of the brakes. I jump clipped in or on flats. Flats are the way forward if you are tricking no footers etc!!
    Heres one of me clipped in on the step up in that Sam Reynolds video. CLipped In!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thats it. I MUST learn. I feel incomplete (despite having many other failings, THIS one cheeses me off).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘jumping techniques? help.’ is closed to new replies.