• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by bol.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Joplin v’s Pure Racing Cobra
  • weeble
    Free Member

I’m thinking of ordering one of these new fangled seatpost thing’s but which is better? Any views or expereince’s (I know the Joplin has had it’s problems.

Cannot search the forum regarding this, for obvious reasons

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a newer version of the Joplin due in a couple of months. I believe it might be fixing a few issues. I reckon the Cobra is too new to get any valuable feedback yet.

Don;t write off the Gravity Dropper either. I think there are 2 (yes – a whole 2) stories of breakages – everyone else reckons they just do the job.

There’s also another one – only available Stateside(?) the Sette Right I think

weeble
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I’m after a 30.9 seatpost so that rules out the Gravity Dropper, although I’m interested in fitting one to the other halfs Juliana.

I’m in no hurry so can wait until the newer Joplin is released prior to spending my cash.

druidh
    Free Member

You just fit a shim with the GD (that’s what I did with my Stumpy). If you buy direct, it’s included in the cost.

weeble
    Free Member

Didn’t realise a shim was included.

I’ll add it to the list then.

Cheers druidh

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ive got a SSC uppy downy post and I love it.
    Not tryed any of the others so cant compare but mine is ever so slightly notchy I think it could probably do with being stripped down and cleaned up after being used in really rubbish conditions. But not had any issues yet.

BadlyWiredDog

I mentioned the Joplin’s reported reliability issues on STW and was advised by 2Pure or whatever they’re called, to contact them and they’d tell me just how good they were. Well there’s a surprise, the importer will tell me how good the product is. Anyway… they’re so good, that they’re upgrading the seals for UK winter conditions or something. Not that there was anything wrong with the seals before, oh no, of course not… [mutters darkly, just how stupid do I look ffs]

Ed-O
    Free Member

Pure Racing post has been working for me with no problems for going on 5 months.

the_lecht_rocks

BWD – do you know if 2pure will upgrade the seals as a free fix ?
    i’m using a chainstay protector over mine, alleviating the effects of winter, and so far it’s been flawless [about 30 hours riding time]

BadlyWiredDog

No idea. Sorry. They seem like nice guys though, so worth an ask. I don’t think it was that the original seals were inadequate, just that the new ones are better 😕

jontyphoto

I have a Joplin R which only functions properly about 40% of the time ie I have to pull the seat up manually the last inch which is frustrating. It also wobbles from side to side as you ride – something you get used to unless you have another bike that doesn’t have a wobbly post and then it is really noticeable. I’ve ordered the non remote Pure i900 because it doesn’t wobble and I will fit a section of inner tube to keep the stanchion clean during our British weather.

knott4me
    Free Member

any long term reviews

grumm
    Free Member

I've got a Pure i900 which is fecked. Replaced with a Gravity Dropper (with shim to 30.9) but barely had a chance to use it yet.

Northwind

I did just break my gravity dropper, but to be fair it was a standard seatpost type fail rather than a descender seatpost type fail, one of the bolts in the seatclamp snapped. All the worky bits are as good today as the day I got it. They come highly recommended, by me 😉 Not just the most reliable but also the lightest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lifetime guarantee contact gravity dropper and await replacement – they just did this with a very old one for me
    I like the Joplin setting levels and apart from known wearing of guide blocks mine has been as good as gold

BadlyWiredDog

Blimey, I don't know what I was on when I commented above. It must have been a bad day. Sorry, muppet mode and rude with it.

Fwiw, I do have one of the Pure Racing i900 things that Superstar sells, it was a bit sticky out of the box, stripping and applying lots of grease helped that, but it kept getting sticky again.

Sorted out with zip-ties and a length of inner tube covering the moving parts and seals, since then it's been fine, though there is a small amount of lateral play, though I don't notice it when riding. Hasn't had much use, but some sort of muck seal makes sense I think.

Northwind

Junkyard, I could do that, or I could just replace the 50p M5 bolt 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

ah but does the 50 p bolt upgrade it to the new turbo version with multi drop positions?

Fair point though
    IGMC
    😳

Northwind

It's already that one 🙂

bol

+1 for the gravity dropper. I can break most things, but no trouble at all with mine, shimmed to 30.9. It's had plenty of use too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Joplin v’s Pure Racing Cobra’ is closed to new replies.