Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Joblesstrackworld, what're you upto? (and rant about the whole shebang)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just got a rejection letter for a job that I’m significantly overqualified for which is annoying in itself. But how many recruiters don’t even bother to even send out a generic “your application was not successful” letter? Given that at the very least I’ve probably spent an hour tweaking my CV and compiling a covering letter, the least you could do is offer some inclination that it’s been rejected after more than a computerised key work search.

Sent form my ageing laptop PC that overheats every 5 minutes watching the yummymumies let their yappy dogs shit on the end of our driveway. Pissed off that I may as well have spent the past 3 months riding my bike rather than job hunting for all the good it’s done me.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get out for a pedal.

kimbers

any DIY you can do round the house?

made me feel like i achieved something when was jobless

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

any DIY you can do round the house?

Plenty, although we’ve hit the point in the new house were the next jobs are things like put an En-suite in, re-do the bathroom, re-roof the conservatory, so cost money we’ve not got 🙁

Rockhopper
    Free Member

What jobs are you looking for?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oh and just get a job, any old job, go in a temp agency and pick up some warehouse stuff/photcopying, whatever get a few quid in your pocket and get out of the house. You don’t have to put it on your CV.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Process Engineering, specifically oil & gas, and petrochemicals, although I’ve also spent a lot of time working in HSE and Environmental/permitting roles.

Just seems that with a lot of oil and gas engineers out of work that other industries which we’d normally be able to move in and out of (water, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals) aren’t even interviewing people from that background because we’re viewed as mercenary and likely to jump back as soon as the work picks up (may or may not be true, if you’re a manager recruiting reading this, ask yourself why).

The job I just got rejected form this morning was basically the job I did before I went to uni 12 years ago!

Oh and just get a job, any old job, go in a temp agency and pick up some warehouse stuff/photcopying, whatever get a few quid in your pocket and get out of the house. You don’t have to put it on your CV.

Even temp agencies are being picky! With unemployment at the level it is employers are just taking on temp workers instead of permanent staff to limit their liabilities. But pretty much everything is listed as “temp to perm” and “must have previous XYZ experience”.

Coyote
    Free Member

When I was out the lack of feedback was one of the worst things, very demoralising.

br
    Free Member

Yes, but once they see your actual CV they won’t even put you forward for work like this, no matter how much you tell them you’re happy to do it, IME…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You don’t have to tell the temp agency the whole truth either! If TINAS’s industry is quiet at the mo he may have to face an at least temporary segue in his career. I bet he could land temp work by a week on Monday morning if he got on the phone. Maybe pick four agencies tell two the truth and two a version of the truth and see who comes up with some work.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Process Engineering, specifically oil & gas, and petrochemicals, although I’ve also spent a lot of time working in HSE and Environmental/permitting roles.

Tried Construction companies?

If you have a recognised HSE qualification IOSH or NEBOSH then most decent sized construction comapnies will employ HSE advisers in house.

IME most of them know very little about actual construction. It’s all about the paperwork.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Also a good shout Perchy.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I understand how you’re feeling, and I know it’s frustrating when you can’t get the low-skilled jobs because the recruiters see you as over qualified.

Getting out and doing something is good and helps to keep you sane. If you can’t get paid work, why not volunteer with a local charity. There are plenty of groups that are looking for volunteers for a few hours a week. It won’t be the type of work you want but at least it gives you something to do during the day. It gets fairly grim when you’re sat at home spending a couple of hours applying for jobs.

I hope that wasn’t too patronising. If it was then I’m sorry.

jobless
    Free Member

The summer is an appalling time to look for a job. recruiters, hiring managers and budget reviews put the whole thing on hold while everyone goes on holiday. you are far better off enjoying the summer and looking in September. Ignore the job boards and get a couple of decent agents to help you find something. That includes polishing your CV.*

Shame i am telling you this at the end of summer. Sorry about that.

IME being over qualified is viewed in the same light as being under-qualified. HMs know as soon as something better (paid) comes a long you’ll be gone.

Stick with it though, you will find something but the recruiting process the world over sucks.

* this applies to the world i work in, but not necessarily applicable to you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve said this to you before – get a CV into GSK Worthing.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oooft!

Telt! 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you have a recognised HSE qualification IOSH or NEBOSH then most decent sized construction comapnies will employ HSE advisers in house.

Wrong end of the spectrum unfortunately, I dealt with Safety Engineering, things like fire and explosion modelling, toxic gas dispersion, fire equipment layouts and escape routes, that sort of thing.

Not “how do we stop ‘A&E Dave’ from doing himself any more damage today” type HSE.

If I can find temp work then I’ll probably do a couple of NEBOSH certificates (international construction and O&G) with the money as it’s at least the right job title on a CV even if the work is totally different.

Bin dun

Fastest
    Ever
    Rejection

It would also be a hell of a commute.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Being jobless was the most soul destroying period of my life, out of about 150+ applications I think I only ever got two rejection notifications. The rest I heard nothing from.

Keep going matey.

Del

recruitment consultants are a necessary evil sometimes.
    hope you find something soon. i went trail-building a lot.

Sandwich

It’s all about the paperwork.

Unless I was inspecting, then pointed questions about how the files were going to stop Dave on the MEWP injuring himself today. (I tended not to be popular with the paper chase managers, designers, architects…..).
    I was popular with operatives who had £500 behind the bar one Christmas due to winning the site H&S award 3 months on the bounce. (They then employed a paper chaser who dropped them to last consistently).

Sundayjumper

This time last year I was unemployed, having been made redundant at the end of April. I know exactly how you feel about everything right now ! Firing off applications where half the time you don’t even get an automated “thank you for your application” message. Agents who are really keen to talk to you, right up to the point where the client says “no” to your CV and you never hear from them again. Even just to let you know the client said “no”.

I too was applying for jobs that were a backward step career-wise. Stuff I was doing 10+ years ago. I didn’t get any of them. I came very close to applying for a job as a bike mechanic in Halfords just so that I would have a purpose, get out of the house, play with bikes and earn a small amount of money (strictly minimum wage for a job like that) but I knew that if I did that I’d stop applying for other jobs and end end up staying there. No offence to Halfords mechanics, but that’s not my long-term goal.

Then, exactly a year ago tomorrow, a call out of the blue from an agency who’d found my CV online. Interviewed, got it. And I’m still here. Slightly different work to what I was doing before but the same underlying skills (Excel monkey).

I’m not sure if there’s a moral to my story. All the applications I did came to naught, then this job basically dropped in my lap with almost no effort. Should I have not bothered applying for all the other jobs ? Or is it some kind of Karma for the work I put in all through the summer ? Who knows. My general feeling is that if it’s meant to happen, it will. If you keep trying something and keep coming up against obstacles, that’s life’s way of saying maybe it’s not the right path for you. That’s why I didn’t get any of those low-level finance jobs last year. They were right ten years ago, but not now.

Good luck. It will work out.

Sundayjumper

Also, I imagine people will be recruiting for Hinkley soon. It’d mean living away from home all week but if you could get in as a contractor the £££s would be good.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Looks like there will be work around West Cumbria with the proposed new power station there. I hear that Sellafield are always looking for people in various roles. There might be something there.

West Cumbria isn’t a bad place to live. Yes, it’s a bit removed from the big cities, but the Western Lakes are quiet and stunning. The house prices aren’t crazy and there are some nice towns and villages if you keep away from Workington and Whitehaven.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m not sure if there’s a moral to my story. All the applications I did came to naught, then this job basically dropped in my lap with almost no effort.

Exactly my experience too.
    No responses to any applications, then one day randomly ran into a man that knew a man. A few weeks later i’m the sole interview candidate for a job, and the rest is history.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Joblesstrackworld, what're you upto? (and rant about the whole shebang)’ is closed to new replies.