• This topic has 92 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • job interview, fashion conundrum.
  • juan
    Free Member

Ok here is the question for the STW:
    What is the conundrum about job interview etiquette regarding the clothes.
    I know for sure it won't be a suit as first I don't own one, second they don't suit me (see what I did here) and third it's in june in the south of France in a place with no air con (plus it's an IT job so people don't expect you to be that smart).

So it will be smart trousers and short sleeve shirt. Now shirt will be white. Trousers will be either brown or black. The black on looks a bit more formal, however, the shoes are brown. I would go for the brown one to match the shoes, but maybe the STW head-hunters collective know better than I do.

jam-bo

if its a job in IT, the fact you havent spilt your breakfast down your t-shirt should be a head start.

Edric64
    Free Member

No not brown shoes with black trousers,and wear a tie with a proper Windsor knot !

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Never ever wear brown shoes with black trousers.

Wear the brown trousers and try and find a tie.

tails
    Free Member

I recently was "apparently" turned down for a position due to not wearing a suit. Find out what they where and dress the same.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It has to be said, not wearing a suit to an interview is pretty bad form.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've got nothing to suggest other than ………. beware of the fashion faux pas.

Creating the right impression is so important.

See if you can pick up any tips from this clip :

Robin Hood – Men In White Suits

Edric64
    Free Member

If you do wear a suit and tie try not to wear it like a footballer !

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Roger Moore style safari suit?

juan
    Free Member

Find out what they where and dress the same.

Well I know one of them and that would be a fashion faux pas…

mogrim

What level IT job? There's a world of difference between a junior programmer and a senior manager…

Assuming it's the former, I'd risk a short sleeve shirt. As long as a) no logos, b) it's ironed and c) no tie. Particuarly no tie.

Black shoes, dark trousers, everything clean and ironed, no earrings, shaved and neatish hair.

franksinatra

I would always wear a suit to any job interview. White shirt, look sharp. Forget about what other people are wearing, they already have a job!

LeeW

I interviewed someone last week for a job and they turned up in a a very smart suit and a pair of Reebok Classics.

The perils of interviewing in Liverpool.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Don't be like The Special One! Do your tie up.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have my own business cleaning bus shelters for councils which is a dirty shitty job but on the first visit to meet a client at their office it's always collar tie and jacket.First impressions always count even if the next time they meet me I am in hi vis and filthy.

deft
    Free Member

Christ don't wear a short sleeve shirt

mogrim

It's IT. I wouldn't have any problem hiring someone who turned up for a junior position in a neat short sleeve shirt and dress trousers.

Assuming no tie, of course: that's for bus drivers.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Surely if it's a job in IT it is de rigeur to wear a comedy tie 😉

cinnamon_girl

Juan – you have disappointed me! Every man should own at least one beautifully fitting suit – obviously shirt, tie and shoes must be tastefully co-ordinated and spotlessly clean.

Bon chance. 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

I'm with Frank on this one. but this being the south of France, I guess the suit should really be Linen 😉

and I'm in IT by the way. No comedy ties here

Even if you never wear the suit for the actual day to job, you have it for other interviews, weddings, christenings, funerals etc. Doesn't have to be expensive either

and yeah, brown shoes should ONLY be worn with a brown suit. But whatever the colour, they should be freshly polished

angryratio
    Free Member

Considering m and s will fit you up with a linen suit for less than 100 which would do the job i would head down that route.
    Failing that, john lewis do a machine washable lightweight beige suit which would be smart for 160.
    Perfectly adequate for the job.

Simple tie, and shirt sorted.

matt_outandabout

meh, I was turned down for a job as I *was* wearing a suit once. 😕

cinnamon_girl

But Juan is in the South of France!

Avoid linen – too lounge-lizard like. 😯 Bryan Ferry wouldn't wear one and he's the original lounge-lizard! But he looks fab in a dark suit. 8)

crikey
    Free Member

Dear sweet Jesus.
    Juan, you are French, yes?
    Why on gods earth are you asking these knuckle dragging morons about an issue of style?
    If I were Mr Sarkozy id kick you out of the country a tout vitesse…

cinnamon_girl

A suit is an essential item in a man's wardrobe. I'm shocked that some of you don't possess one!

crikey – yes, I agree with your comments. Juan would look lovely in a suit, just don't go for a pink shirt. 😉

mogrim

Avoid linen – too lounge-lizard like

B******s to that, I looked f******g hot in my cream linen suit today!

cinnamon_girl

Pics please. 😉

mogrim

It was 32C here today, anyone would look hot in a suit and tie today 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

A suit is an essential item in a man's wardrobe.

I concur. I have 3 or 4. Don't wear them very often but mrs_drummer says I scrub up ok

cinnamon_girl

mogrim – fair enough!

john_drummer – listen to your good lady then. 🙂

mogrim

3 or 4? They'll be the winter ones, then. How many for summer?

john_drummer
    Free Member

summer? in Yorkshire? heh heh

Northwind

I don't wear a suit to interviews. TBH I hate the things, they make me feel like I've been dressed by my mum for the school photo, and that's the last thing you need in your head at an interview. You should be smart, sure, but comfortable and confident. There's also an argument that if 10 identi-candidates in identi-cheap job-interview-suits turn up for an interview, the one who turns up looking more comfortable and like he's got an independant thought in his head might stand out. Possibly in a bad way, possibly in a good.

It does depend if you're applying for a "suited" position, if you want to be a merchant banker or an undertaker or a hitman or something. But I'd say myself that if the role's never going to see you in a suit, you shouldn't feel the interview needs to either.

Of course, I have a s**t job so what do I know?

iDave
    Free Member

i haven't owned a suit since 1990

i only own one tie which i keep purely for sentimental reasons and own only jeans – no trousers

yet i've been a director of a plc, and done some high profile work stuff around the world

maybe looking like everyone else is useful in some settings but i can't see the point personally

john_drummer
    Free Member

maybe looking like everyone else is useful in some settings but i can't see the point personally

get rid of the jeans then 😉

I have no denim in my wardrobe, haven't had since 1983.

yes, that's right – no jeans (well, not denim ones anyway) – my legs don't suit blue jeans

samuri
    Free Member

I agree with the above, it's a job in IT.

If you turn up roughly around the right time, and most of your hairy bits below the neck are covered up, that'll do.

As I say, it's IT, what you can do is a million times more important than what you look like. It's not like you're going for a sales or marketing job where the reverse is important.

iDave
    Free Member

my legs don't suit blue jeans

explain?

konabunny
    Free Member

There's also an argument that if 10 identi-candidates in identi-cheap job-interview-suits turn up for an interview, the one who turns up looking more comfortable and like he's got an independant thought in his head might stand out.

You should turn up in a dressing gown, then!

farm-boy

Faded Red Dwarf T shirt

thomthumb
    Free Member

short sleeve shirt and tie – just don't please.

long sleeves with tie
    short sleeve open necked.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘job interview, fashion conundrum.’ is closed to new replies.