Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Job application question
  • Lifer
    Free Member

There’s a job I’m really interested in, you have to send information to a named contact at the company before applying. The only problem is the named contact has a unisex name and there’s nothing on LinkedIn or the company website for clues.

How should I address the covering letter?

zimbo
    Free Member

Dear [insert first name]…

Lifer
    Free Member

Isn’t that a bit familiar though?

donsimon
    Free Member

They haven’t given the info and I guess they might actually know the problem.
    It’s either putting their full name or digging deeper, calling the company and asking might be one idea. ❓

zimbo
    Free Member

I don’t think so, but I hate formality. And being only half-English I have a name which could be either male or female and I hate being addressed, as a guess, as Ms.!

I’d use the first name and sign off “yours sincerely”. Then worry about when you attend the interview and they have breasts AND a moustache…

pingu66
    Free Member

Definitely first name. I think the protocol is if they have provided a first name its fair gme to use. If they wante a Sir Madam they woul have put Mr Lifer or Miss Lifer. I think the cklues are there.

Generally speaking there is a lot less formality now very often in a good way. Sometimes not so good ie first name terms, dressing down etc.

My advice use the information, they have put their first name out there use it.

tyke
    Free Member

Phone the company up and ask them.

hels
    Free Member

Eek. Let’s hope they don’t ask in the interview if you are prone to focusing on insignificant details…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tyke +1.

Initiative!!!

franksinatra

Don’t use first name, this is a formal process, first name is not formal.

Phone up and ask.

flyingmonkeycorps

How about phoning up the company with a pertinent question and asking to speak to the named human? Hopefully you should be able to tell from their voice…

Lifer
    Free Member

Thanks for the help! Just spoken to them.

hels – Member
    Eek. Let’s hope they don’t ask in the interview if you are prone to focusing on insignificant details…

😆

My first thought was

spacemonkey

Phone up and ask. They’ll understand. End of.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Job application question’ is closed to new replies.