Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Job Application follow up….?
  • jimmy

I applied for a job last week which I'd REALLY like to do. The job advert was pointed out to me at 4pm on deadline day, when the deadline was down as 12noon. Cobbled together a brief application and sent it off just before 5pm, then called the next day to ask if my application had been received / accepted. The manager who is doing the recruitment was now away for the week but the guy who answered the phone confirmed it had been been received.

That was last week, so the manager is presumably back this week and I can't decide whether to call, e-mail or leave it. My application was sparse but with key qualifications & experience. If I phone up I would just be grovelling and diluting my application form but would at least be speaking to the guy. It could just turn out awkward if I have nothing useful to say. Its only a small place where the job is and i'm pretty sure the guy i spoke to will have mentioned it to the manager, so i'm tempted to leave it at that and hope for the best…. Any ideas?

atlaz
    Free Member

Call, be factual, don't sound desperate. It never hurts to check whether it arrived or not.

tails
    Free Member

Give them a call.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

100% – give him a call

hels
    Free Member

Call them – polite and brief – however I wouldn't tip them off that the application went in after the deadline if they haven't spotted that as I believe (I am sure an HR bod will confirm/disagree) that would give unsuccessful candidates grounds for complaint, to say that you were given special consideration over them.

However asking when the letters will be going out summoning to interview shows initiative.

molgrips
    Free Member

Call – say something like 'Just wanted to discuss my application with you, I'm really keen on it' or something. Sound keen but professional, tells them you really want the job which is a good thing. Everyone wants to hire someone that wants it.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

call up mate, talk to HR…

i applied for an IT job in the local Police headquarters, i had an interview nearly 2 months AFTER i sent the app form in!!

hainey
    Free Member

Give them a call.

I am reviewing on average 200 CVs for each application at the moment. Your CV gets about 30secs.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Call, tell them the truth. It wouldn't bother me.

jimmy

I called, he was busy but I spoke to another colleague. Apparently all the interviews have been handed out…

FFS.

atlaz
    Free Member

I've been sitting on CVs for a week for a product management job. I don't get back to people until I'm ready but I don't get annoyed if people ask for an update.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Job Application follow up….?’ is closed to new replies.