Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • J.J Abrams to direct the new Star Wars
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

So the rumours say…. I think he’d be well suited to it and judging by his previous work would be as dark as the rating would allow. He couldn’t do any worse than the previous three films, could he?

stevious

If it starts with a space-ship crash then I’m walking out.

retro83
    Free Member

Edit: Can’t read. 😳

Mantastic
    Free Member

Lol at stevious

matthewjb
    Free Member

It’s shaping up well. Just get Pixar to write it and don’t let George anywhere near it and it will be fine.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

He’ll ruin it 😡

johndoh
    Free Member

As long as Ja Ja Binks gets a role I’ll be happy.

matthewjb
    Free Member

He’ll ruin it

No, George would ruin it. Anyone else will be an improvement.

chakaping
    Free Member

Jj has ruled himself out already I thought?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

JJ would be worse than George, I know that’s quite hard to pull off, but he would!

johndoh
    Free Member

JJ Abrams, JJ Binks. Perfect.

kimbers

michael bay ftw!

kudos100
    Free Member

Both Star Trek and Super 8 were great. He’ll do a much better job than Lucas. Mind you that isn’t saying much, a well trained chimp could have done a better job…..

johndoh
    Free Member

A badly trained chimp could’ve done. In fact one of the chimps from the last Planet of the Apes film might have made a good fist of it.

piemonster

JJ Abrams would literally have to make a worse film than Godzilla to even approach the awfulness of The Phantom Menace.

Which to this day makes me think of some sneaky bugger that likes to do stealthy but deadly farts in lifts.

kimbers

abrams will do an ok job

but loads of lens flare and improbable stunts wont mean drek if it doesnt have a decent script and decent dialogue

matthewjb
    Free Member

if it doesnt have a decent script and decent dialogue

Agreed. Although the first three managed without.

Assuming DIsney draft in some of Pixar’s writers there’s a good chance for story and dialogue.

Cougar

I think I could only have been happier if they’d have greenlit Joss Whedon.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Tarantino ftw

Cougar

Wait. Does this mean the Rebels have droids and the Empire will have bad robots…?

sobriety
    Free Member

Which to this day makes me think of some sneaky bugger that likes to do stealthy but deadly farts in lifts.

I thought that was ‘crouching tiger, hidden dragon’?

CountZero

JJ would be worse than George, I know that’s quite hard to pull off, but he would!

Nah! Lucas can’t write dialogue if his life depended on it. Abrams has done a lot of decent work over the years, although I think I’d prefer the director who gave us a certain schoolgirl vampire hunter, given the chance, seeing the job he’s done with various Marvel properties.

Northwind

CountZero – Member

I think I’d prefer the director who gave us a certain schoolgirl vampire hunter,

Fran Kuzui?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, it does seem legit.

Good choice IMO. Star Trek and Cloverfield were both very entertaining.

uwe-r
    Free Member

My son is just getting in to Star Wars. He doesn’t yet know of the existence of episodes 1/3 (having starteded him at 4). It would be better if he never new of the travesty of the prequels, but he will find out one day and it will be a dark dark day.

flyingmonkeycorps

Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) is writing it. I still have high hopes…

AlexSimon

To be honest, I’m not sure it matters who will be writing/directing/etc.
    It’s all about their intentions.
    If they intend to create a new Empire Strikes Back, then it’s all good.
    If they intend to create an Avengers Assemble, then it will probably be wildly popular (especially with kids) and they’ll make tons of money, but I wont be that bothered.

My feeling is that they’ll aim for the latter.

honeybadgerx

wildly popular (especially with kids)

Yeah, I think that’s going to be one of the problems now, it’s become such a huge market for kids toys, cartoons, Lego computer games, etc. etc. that they’ll probably target that so keep it a bit too kid friendly for my liking.

I’d love to see a darker take on the whole thing.

flyingmonkeycorps

I suspect the “main” sequel trilogy will be very kid friendly – in much the same way as the original trilogy is, let’s be honest. There is talk of a lot of “satellite” stuff though, both movies and TV shows which could feasibly head in a slightly darker direction.

Cougar

Yeah, you’ve got to remember, the original films were ‘family’ movies. It’s a bit different a new Star Wars film coming out when you’re 5 (as I was when A New Hope came out) and 40. New movies are almost certainly going to feel a bit ‘young’.

kimbers

disney/ lucasfilm still havent confirmed

abrams will do an ok job and it will make a ton of cash, but it could be as disposable as star trek and as drawn out as lost

for me star wars needs to be epic lucas had the power to keep the epic and a touch of darkness but sadly hed lost his midiclurians as regards to characters, cast and plot!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

You can’t have a Star Trek director directing Star Wars.
    There would be geek civil war.
    It would be like making Ian Paisley Pope!

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Nah! Lucas can’t write dialogue if his life depended on it.

My Arse, he wrote American Graffiti.

Ok fair enough, since American Graffiti he’s not really matched the promise but still.

jon1973
    Free Member

as long as Ja Ja Binks gets a role I’ll be happy.

I think he’s down for Executive Producer.

grum
    Free Member

Star Trek film was good although nearly spoiled by the ridiculous amounts of fake lens flare. Lost was a travesty though. Watched the first couple of series and quite enjoyed it then gave up when I began to think it wasn’t really going anywhere. Thank god I did – everyone I know who watched until the end felt massively cheated.

Watched some of the original Star Wars films recently and apart from for nostalgic reasons they really don’t hold up too well IMO.

johndoh
    Free Member

Watched some of the original Star Wars films recently and apart from for nostalgic reasons they really don’t hold up too well IMO.

Stop being silly.

grum
    Free Member

Have you watched them recently? They have great music and some of the sets/space stuff still looks surprisingly good, but lots of the characters, acting, plot, and script are really not very good.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Does he do kids films?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘J.J Abrams to direct the new Star Wars’ is closed to new replies.