Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • jeff jones loop bars
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

are they any good and is it easy to fit brakes and gear shifters to (pics would be nice to give me some ideas) only ask cause ive been getting some shoulder and back ache after riding and ive heard that these bars are a good way of solving it and having seen the dr jon story in the latest mag they look good which is a plus point.

singlespeedstu

Are they any good

I like them. But for some strange reason i only like them when used on a rigid bike. You might or might not like them you need to try them to find out realy.

Plenty of room for brakes and shifters on the Loop not so much on the original H Bar.

2011_0227viewfromthewok0003 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

singlespeedstu
    Pyro

I use them on my singlespeed and like them. Loads of space and hand positions, very comfortable even on silly rigid forks, and nice to look at too. Plenty of space behind the looped section for levers, shifters and grips, then just bar tape the rest.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL looks something like someone would use to hold the maps when
    doing the knowledge for becoming a Black Cabby.

Ringo
    Free Member

I owned a set rode with them twic and didnt get on with them, sold em to taz, have now got another set as they came with a frame i bought and i love them, funnily enough i think its because there on a rigid bike as well, there very comfortable

tazzymtb

yep they are lovely with a stiff frontage, dead comfy the other day winching a ss all over bits of welsh mountain and a very long bumpy rocky downhill didn’t rip my arms off (which was a pleasant surprise) 😀

tazzymtb

I really like the look of these as well

Ringo
    Free Member

you utter tart 😉

Atomizer

I’ve got them on rigid and front sus bikes and they’re just great for me. Lots of room for shifters, brakes, and room to move your hands (and weight) around when climbing, descending, gong in along the flat.
    Had mine running dual controls, rapid-fire, rohloff and single speed. Room for lights, GPS, you name it. Oh and a big map case…
    Got three pairs as well as two lots of h-bars so I think you could say I’m a convert!
    All work well.

Atomizer

I’ve got them on rigid and front sus bikes and they’re just great for me. Lots of room for shifters, brakes, and room to move your hands (and weight) around when climbing, descending, going along the flat.
    Had mine running dual controls, rapid-fire, rohloff and single speed. Room for lights, GPS, you name it. Oh and a big map case…
    Got three pairs as well as two lots of h-bars so I think you could say I’m a convert!
    All work well.

nedrapier

tazzy, what are they? Google can’t get past telling me I mean “skype”

singlespeedstu

ned.

Try here.
    Skyde

yunki
    Free Member

I use an on-one mary bar which is loads cheaper… and ace

I started using a bar with a high degree of backsweep to help with back problems.. whether it helped or not I couldn’t really say for sure..

What was very clear is that the sweep gave a much more comfortable and instinctive riding position.. so much so that when I try straighter type bars now they feel a bit silly and severely lacking in common sense.. which is a problem as there isn’t a great deal of variety in the extreme sweep market..

I’m now on the lookout for a backswept bar with a decent amount of width and rise..
    any ideas anyone..?

tazzymtb

back sweep with rise, try a titec H bar?

tazzymtb

I love the skyde trussfork and integral stem prototype to keep a low front end .It looks ace

singlespeedstu
    rOcKeTdOg

ragley carnegie’s bars are a cheaper, similar alternative, but you can actually fit controls to them, might be an option to try before spending huge amounts of cash on Ti, i love ’em

there’s a rider version too

the horrible headwind ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

the flat pedal ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

the WWJVD ride (what would Jens Voight do?) by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

downshep

Yunki. Kona Ute bars are very high and swept.

singlespeedstu

but you can actually fit controls to them

What makes you think you can’t fit controls on the loop then?

Did you miss these bits? 😉

Plenty of room for brakes and shifters on the Loop

Plenty of space behind the looped section for levers, shifters and grips

Lots of room for shifters, brakes, and room to move your hands (and weight) around when climbing, descending, going along the flat.
    Had mine running dual controls, rapid-fire, rohloff and single speed. Room for lights, GPS, you name it.

tangent
    Free Member

obviously it kinda a personal ergonomics thing, but I started ‘temporarily’ using H-bars when recovering from a broken collar bone, I found them very comfy indeed for my predicament, and then kept on using them, as the position seems very natural and useable for my kinda riding…highly reccomended 🙂 Mostly ran them on a singlespeed, however after some experimentation found a geared solution I was happy with (XTR onto Hope lever)…See picture below, (XT thumbie optional 😆 )

Atomizer

Oh and forgot to mention thumbshifters in my double post above!

brant
    Free Member

The thing that Mary’s and Carnegie’s miss is the fact that Jones bars are best run TAPED without grips. So you can ride with your thumb hooked in the corner or hand anywhere really. Sure the bars are chopped at an angle, but with them taped you can run your hands all over them. It is *amazing* what you can do with a dynamic hand position when riding around.
    For stupid tech moves they aren’t always right, but for “riding”, they’re good.

But taped, not grips.

Stu?

tazzymtb

Taped you say?

like these in the middle on the odd looking but ace bike 😀

summerwastin
    Free Member

tangent – i got a few questions for you….

i have finally got some original straight extension h-bars and i want to run them with at least a rear mech. i still run old hope closed 2 brakes and i’m currently looking for some matchmakers to fit my gearshifter to the brake lever. that’s what you’ve done yeah? are the matchmakers swapable from left to right, so that you can put the shifters even closer to the grips or do you have to have them facing away? (hope that makes sense…) i’ve bought some hope tech matchmakers on the off-chance they were compatible with my old levers…. no such luck. thinking of drilling out the hole to make them fit.

how is it with reaching for the gears with your setup? cheers

tangent
    Free Member

tangent – i got a few questions for you….

summerwastin- here’s some sorta answers…

1) in the pic am running an XTR shifter (using hope ‘matchmaker bracket’) + hope tech lever this works really well together…
    As an additional bonus is that the reservoir of the tech lever offers a nice flat surface to rest your hand on when riding along depending on what angle you have it set at. I haven’t tried it, but am pretty sure the match makers are swappable left to right (i.e. the same either side).These brackets only work with XTR shifters (I think).

2)before I got the XTR+mounts I had squeezed on an XT underbar shifter and hope tech lever it was a but cramped but just about worked OK for me–but probably not as well as they ought to!

3) When I was using older hope brakes, (before getting underbar shifters going) I also tried barend shifters ( with the cable hidden underneath bar tape). This was worked OK for shifting, but was pretty strange as they tended to be pointing at weird angles and I found it all a bit disconcerting. Couldn’t get my XT thumbshifters to work near the reservoirs of my old hope brakes either

Hope that helps, can always take a detailed pic and put it on here, if you need some clarification…

summerwastin
    Free Member

that’s great! many thanks…..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘jeff jones loop bars’ is closed to new replies.