Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Jacobs Ladder
  • crispo
    Free Member

Heading to the peak district with some amte for the weekend in a few weeks. Looking at doing a loop around Ladybower one day and then Jacobs ladder route the next.

Which way do people recommend doing it? From Hayfield to Edale of the other way?

Thanks

nbt

Hayfield to Edale is more rideable all round and the better descent IMHO.

Edale to Hayfield gives a longer descent, but you’ll be pushing up most of the climb

peachos
    Free Member

if you’re doing the full circuit, there is only one way to do it.

hayfield>jacobs>edale>rushup>roych clough>hayfield

unless you like climbing up ace descents that is!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Yep – Hayfield to Edale. Unless you are a riding god doing Jacobs as a climb from Edale is a hikeabike. The climb up from Hayfield is OK for most riders with Jacobs as a descent to follow.

peachos
    Free Member

oh, and the footpath down jacobs to edale is worth a look if it’s quiet.

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

We are staying in Castleton so was thinking of heading up hollins cross > mam tor > rushup and then on from there in the loop peachos mentioned.

Just wanted to check that was the best way to do it.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

However, if you want to make it a decent length outing…

Hollins Cross > Edale > Jacobs > Kinderlow End > Kinder Res. > Middle Moor > Lantern Pike > Birch Vale > Cloughead/Chinley Churn > New Allotments > Peep O Day > Mt Famine > Roych Clough > Rushup…

Middle Moor is worth the extra alone 🙂

Cheers

scruff
    Free Member

Pushing up Jacobs is for losers, clockwise loop is for winners.

dan1980
    Free Member

Hollins Cross > Edale > Jacobs > Kinderlow End > Kinder Res. > Middle Moor > Lantern Pike > Birch Vale > Cloughead/Chinley Churn > New Allotments > Peep O Day > Mt Famine > Roych Clough > Rushup…

Would agree with that.

I guess it’s horses for courses, having done it all in the Hayfield -> Edale direction, and most, as part of different routes the other way, I’m not sure why people think the Hayfield -> Edale direction is better. As I see it, the only good bits of down you gain are Jacobs ladder (which is arguably overrated as it’s only really technically challenging at the top) and the green lane at the end of Rushup Edge, which normally has a land rover parked in the middle of a weekend, and most people seem to use the path to the side rather than the rocky gully anyway! The slog out of Roych Clogh towards Mount Famine must be soul destroying and the trek up to Edale cross from the Hayfield side is just unpleasant 🙂

Perhaps I’m missing something? 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I think Peachos’s direction is the better one but mainly because of the rushup>roych clough bit which I think is the best bit of the loop.
    I’m a bit underwhelmed by Jacobs itself TBH.

all IMHO of course

<EDIT> I think you’ve almost convinced me to I’ll try it the other way next time. </EDIT>

nbt

Perhaps I’m missing something?

Perhaps you are. I like the campsite descent into Hayfield, I far prefer the descent into Roych Clough heading north towards Hayfield, the “green lane” you mention we know as the Sunken Road and I absolutely love it, and I prefer to ride my bike up Oaken Clough rather than carry it up Jacob’s Ladder.

Horses for courses though, I’m not saying it’s a bad ride the other way – I just prefer it in the clockwise direction

crazy-legs

Another vote for that.
    Everyone whines about climbing (pushing/carrying) Jacobs but it’s quite short and the rest of the route is SO much better that way, gives loads more good options. As dan1980 says ^^, going clockwise leads to a couple of horrible climbs. Going up to Edale Cross from Hayfield is a really nasty slog of a climb.

dan1980
    Free Member

The only bit I’ve not ridden in reverse as it were is the bit into and out of Royche Clough towards Mount Fammine, so shall have to give that a go at some point to see if it’s better than the kinder campsite descent. I’m not convinced mind 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

Basically looks like its going to be a good ride either way we do it.

Roughly time wise whats the differece between the two? Some of the group are not in tip top condition. To give you an idea of the pace we did the ladybower loop (dambuster dam > whinstone tor > pub > crook hill > down and round the other side of the resevior > win hill > roman road to a57 > lockerbrook heights > dam) about 25miles 1400vert in about 5 hours last time we did it.

Are we look longer than that time wise?

MartynS

It is a good ride either way, I prefer going up Jacobs ladder and down to Hayfield because you can get an awful lot of people who just walk a short loop from Edale on the Pennine way who come down Jacobs you rarely see anyone coming up from Hayfield so in my opinion its a better descent, but then according to the wife I’m always wrong…..

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Are we look longer than that time wise?

The route I described (anti-clockwise) should probably be a little under 5 hours given your example…

ilovemygears
    Free Member

umm, its sunny..im of to ride it…also some times if its super windy its better to ride it the other way…

hora
    Free Member

hayfield>jacobs>edale>rushup>roych clough>hayfield

Agree- with that descent alongside the woods that brings you out by the campsite to finish.

AlexSimon

If you do it anti-clockwise, don’t come down chapelgate – it’s awful now.
    Go over the full rushup edge and then down Mam Tor (couple of options) back to Barber Booth.

I quite like the climb up Jacobs – I find it a challenge but do-able apart from the last 20ft.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

f you do it anti-clockwise, don’t come down chapelgate – it’s awful now.
    Go over the full rushup edge and then down Mam Tor (couple of options) back to Barber Booth.

Thanks for the heads up! Did this starting out and over the hills from Marple (Roman Lakes) yesterday morning. Makes for a great 35 miler :))

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Jacobs Ladder’ is closed to new replies.