Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Jacket for winter
  • blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Its getting colddddddd 😯

So i think its time i got a proper jacket for when it really gets cold later very soon and the rain and snow starts to come down

I going to try some on tomorrow hopefully and so far my short list is

Endura Flyte jacket (seems to get very good reviews and all my other endura gear holds up very well)

Endura Stealth jacket……depending on how it fits and how i feel about spending £129.99 pounds but it seems to be one of the best….question is how weather proff is it?

any others i should try while in shop ie Gore ect?

Jamie
    Free Member

Laaaaaaaayers.

Baselayer
    Midweight something or other
    Thin windproof outer layer.

It’s how I roll, anyways.

johnny63

agree with Jamie – layers is the way to go – for me at the minute its:-

merino base
    LS (roadie style) jacket
    gilet or windproof

and when it get really cold, I’ll just add Ground Effects Thermos windproof vest

(I’m using some of those merino bases from OO/PX – alright, they’re not Howies standard quality but they are great value for the money)

crazy-legs

I bought an Endura Stealth last week and it is properly fantastic, best biking jacket I’ve ever had. REALLY warm but well vented, waterproof but also close fitting so not flappy like most traditional waterproof jackets.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Gore Phantom 2 got me through last winter with a couple of long sleeve layers underneath no probs. And you can use it rest of year, very versatile jacket. I do run “warm” though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

+ 1 for gore phantom and layering

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

i been reading around and the reviews seem to be rather misleading.

The offical MTB reviews and cycling mag reviews really do make the Endura stealth jacket sound very good but reading some customer reviews allthough most of them are very good there are quite a few that say the endura stealth gets too warm inside and thus very cold if you stop moving.

Also some say the customer service with regards to the jacket from endura is very poor and that after washing it can fall apart 😯

got me rather worried,

One question though where on earth can i buy a Gore phantom jacket in any colour other than either bright YELLOW or bright RED???? since that all it seems my local shop sells,….will have to check in store when i go but would like another colour though ie black/grey

dobo
    Free Member

when cold i use dhb merano bib tights, a base layer and then just a gore phantom, keeps you very dry and not swety, if i put any waterproof layer over that then basically you get just as wet as if you wernt wearing it but does keep you warmer..

i also use mw80 boots, still get cold toes but its not so bad.
    my gloves are water/windproof jobs cant remember name but i never get cold fingers
    also i wear a buff when cold, job done

my gore phantom is well old and knackard now though

loum
    Free Member

Jacket Potato
    Central eating.
    mmmmmmm

lipseal
    Free Member

Ribble cycles have 25% off jacket ATM.
    If that fails eat cake and pies. 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member
    bruneep

One question though where on earth can i buy a Gore phantom jacket in any colour other than either bright YELLOW or bright RED???? since that all it seems my local shop sells,….will have to check in store when i go but would like another colour though ie black/grey

Nowt wrong with the yellow IMHO

seanodav
    Free Member

Another for gore phantom, great jacket nearly all year round.
    In grey at evans.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/phantom-jacket-ec011707?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

edit: maybe not it appears just yellow on closer inspection

gee
    Free Member

Assos 851 jacket plus a base layer (and a waterproof if wet). I have 2 of these that are now 6 years old, washed twice a week all winter and are both still firmly stitched together and very warm.

Expensive initially, but they pay for themselves with how long they last.

GB

vooomvooom
    Free Member

http://www.dare2b.com/buy/forthright-stretch-shell-jacket-183172 someone here has posted this link already. Nice looking jacket and very cheap 🙂

vooomvooom
    Free Member

only size small left 🙁

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

out of interest the gore Phantom is waterproof right??

by the way ribble doesnt sell Gore jackets, though 25% off endura is quite tempting so if i find a good size maybe…

dobo
    Free Member

gore phantom is not waterproof, though if it gets wet it still seems to keep you fairly warm

iainc

on my second winter with Stealth – love it !

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just to throw another idea into the mix based on my cold weather gear for riding;
    Layers base layer of whatever your preference be it merino or man made, mid/outer (depending on how much water is falling from the skies) is a Rab Generator Smock-brilliant ultra breathable but also warm even when wet and standing still ie for a puncture in last years -8C early morning rides and a waterproof in the back pack for if it really hoofs it down or to swap out if its not too cold but just raining/extra protection for way out in the back of beyond. Beauty of the Rab is it packs down very small for its thermal properties.

epicyclo

IceBreaker merino base

Rab Vapour Rise jacket.

That’s me covered down to -10ºC and pretty good if moisture is dropping from the sky.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Get a Gore Bike Wear jacket.. you won’t regret it.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t often rise in my Paramo Velez as it’s a bit overkill in the shelter of the southern woods but I was out in it all day yesterday for a skills course and day/night ride. I’d forgotten how good it is – absolutely weatherproof, warm when zipped and cinched up, amazingly cool with the long neck and side zips open and sleeves rolled up. Too big, heavy and expensive to cart around in the Camelbak when the weather isn’t so foul – I have an Altura Pocket Rocket for that.

FuzzyWuzzy

Gore Phantom is a great jacket but only light shower-proof, in heavy rain it soon gets soaked through, you do still stay warm though. Endura Stealth is pretty decent but a bit too warm most days, works better on the road bike where you can cool down quicker opening zips. Assos Airjack 851 is another good jacket but far from a waterproof option, the entire back is just a roubaix fabric, I would take the Phantom over one any day for MTBing.
    At the end of the day a very breathable waterproof jacket doesn’t exist, spend £200+ and you can get something decent but still be far from perfect. It’s cheaper just to accept you’ll get wet and focus on stuff that stays warm when wet.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

At the end of the day a very breathable waterproof jacket doesn’t exist, spend £200+ and you can get something decent but still be far from perfect. It’s cheaper just to accept you’ll get wet and focus on stuff that stays warm when wet.

to be honest i dont accpet that, if you buy a jacket for £100 odd quid you expect it to be waterproof at the very least.

Keeping warm is pretty easy, wear layers simple as that, but the main issues are waterproof and most importantly wind protection.

If the Gore phantom isnt waterproof ie if it rains il get soaked then it isnt the jacket im looking for as i need a waterproof jacket not just another base layer/jersey.

If on the otherhand the Gore can deal with rain ie like we going to get this winter then it will be fine, though ofc a downpoor i expect to get wet ..

Another jacket i looking into is the Endura Flyte as this seems to be waterproof and windproof.

as allways suggestions welcome.

votchy
    Free Member

Last winter in temps down to -12 I wore either a gore phantom on its own or a thin base layer and endura event jacket, the event was worn when I expected to fall off in the snow, the phantom is plenty warm enough for me once I get moving, both top layers worn with endura event 3/4’s, woolie boolies and mw80 boots, gloves are spesh something or others with inner and seperate waterproof outer, buff under helmet (fnarr, fnarr)

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

been looking online and it seems the Gore jacket is around £112 which i quite shocked given i cannot find any discounts on that price and its only in yellow or red 😯

anyone know any other place which is cheaper to buy from?
    (winstanleybikes.com doesnt count given the bad reviews they seem to allways get )

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t often rise in my Paramo Velez as it’s a bit overkill in the shelter of the southern woods but I was out in it all day yesterday for a skills course and day/night ride. I’d forgotten how good it is – absolutely weatherproof, warm when zipped and cinched up, amazingly cool with the long neck and side zips open and sleeves rolled up. Too big, heavy and expensive to cart around in the Camelbak when the weather isn’t so foul

Another big fan of Paramo stuff. A recent convert and absolutely delighted with it. I’ve been out in some pretty grim – and not so grim – weather and have always been comfortable. Amazingly breathable, amazingly waterproof and amazingly comfortable. Not a “pack away” though. I have been wearing mine for road and off-road riding in all sorts of conditions since early September, with just a thin long-sleeved base layer. Dismiss Paramo by all means, but I’m glad I took a punt. Without doubt the best outdoor garment I have ever owned.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

At the end of the day a very breathable waterproof jacket doesn’t exist

Repeat after me

PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO PARAMO…………………ETC

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Just a update in the end after looking and trying on different jackets i went for….

The gore phantom 2../…in red….got a good deal with price match and 10% off so was very happy.

The endura flyte just felt like a normal raincoat and the noise it made when moving in it would of drove me mad after a while if i had to ride in it, also given it is just a raincoat it didnt have the USP

Endura stealth is pretty cool, and felt very warm but also very tight, even in a large size, felt like a wetsuit.
    Main issues i could see where the seams as they are VERY tight and after a couple of open and close attempts i could see them being a issue after a while of use and were quite hard to close up.

Gore just felt “right” straight away, so went with gut.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Jacket for winter’ is closed to new replies.