Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Jacket dead – which one now?
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My Altura Reflex is now useless. After a year and a bit of great service, I washed it with Tech Wash and TX Direct – and killed the breathability completely. Sent it back to Nikwax (service excellent) who re-treated it (after cleaning) but it’s still not working – almost zero breathability. I suspect Nikwaz stuff and “React” fabric simply aren’t compatible.

Anyway time for a new jacket – around £100ish, breathable, waterproof, bright (yep I do cycle on roads), packable and preferably just a shell type thing.

Is it worth stretching to a Gore? Can push a bit further than £100 if it’s worth it but £200+ is a no no for a cycle jacket.

Any brands to look out for?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

For next time, don’t use the wash-in stuff on a breathable jacket. It makes the inside waterproof too – meaning your sweat can’t escape. You need to use the spray on stuff on the outside only.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ourkid – yep, lesson learned. The stuff works fine on my Nikwax fabric jacket (made by Finisterre) but not this jacket.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm won’t a detergent wash sort the jacket then you can re-proof it?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – I’ve tried everything – washing it with just water then it was sent of and fully lab tested. It’s dead – waterproof but not breathable so useless to me. I was soaked this morning – it used to breathe really well.

Time to give up on it.

tang
    Free Member

pace 3×3, about 100 i think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting. Maybe I’m just a sweaty **** but I haven’t found any waterproof to breathe well enough to make a difference.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – I used to be pretty much sweat free after a ride with this jacket however hard I rode – this morning (and since I “proofed” it) I was drenched!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

tang – Member
    pace 3×3, about 100 i think

If this is the eVent one, then +1 from me, I’ve had one for a year now and it is superb as a waterproof, really breathable to the point where I’ll just use it as a windproof on a colder day.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tang – the 3×3 looks good. Might well get one!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Errrmm – where can I get one from?!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Direct from Pace I think.

iainc

ourkidsam – Member
    For next time, don’t use the wash-in stuff on a breathable jacket. It makes the inside waterproof too – meaning your sweat can’t escape. You need to use the spray on stuff on the outside only.

according to Altura the Grangers wash in cleaner/proofer is the right product and does not adhere to the inside of the jacket

woody2000

Altura Crosslite – <£50 from Cyclestore. Made from the same stuff as the Attack jacket, but 2.5 layer instead of 3. Kept me dry in the p*ssing rain for 3 hours, not too hot either. Buy 2, one for road, one for mtb at that price!

iainc

I have a Crosslite and an Attack – very similar breathability and both very good. They have also both been washed a few times with Grangers 😛

ben
    Free Member

Anything made with eVent. I’m more than happy with my Endura eVent jacket.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bah! I have a paclite jacket, old but little used, it’s crap!

edd

I’ve been very happy with my Endura Venturi II jacket. They claim that it’s more breathable then eVent and while I can’t confirm this I can say that I’m normally quite sweaty and I’m fine in this jacket…

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=122&prod_id=354

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I’ve just bought a lumo yellow Endura Stealth.

I will look like something from Tron!

I shall also be informed that it’s cr4p and I’ve wasted my money!

Tried a few on and this just felt “right” and is a cool stretchy material. Pricey (to me – cheap to some) at over £160 but hopefully worth it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Just ran in it – definitely breathes well!

neninja
    Free Member

Bought a new Altura Rush off someone on here – it’s not the flashiest or lightest but it seems tough – it’s been through brambles, gorse bushes, hawthorn etc and it’s still fine.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I fell AoT on the run (at 5ish – tripped on an unseen fallen sapling and went flying!) and the jacket is unmarked despite a heavy fall onto my arm.

Impressive bit of kit – a “softshell” that fully breathes and is waterproof. Feels a bit freaky but I like it!

velocipede
    Free Member

Altura Nevis reduced to £30….bargain, almost throw away!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Velo – had two of them. Decent but not breathable enough.

KonaTC

+1 for the Endura Stealth

but not in Tron Yellow

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Kona – sadly the wife insisted on a yellow one. I could have bought a £250 jacket as long as it was hi vis!

TBH I’m not bothered. Do a lot of night riding so handy to be seen.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Well I’ve just bought a lumo yellow Endura Stealth

I read this as an Endura Sheath, and wondered when they got into the contraceptive game……….

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

TBH I’m unlikely to ever “pull” in it (happily married too…!) in that colour anyway – so kind of a contraception device.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Doh!

leffeboy

What’s the sizing like on the Stealth? skinny, tight, baggy, short etc. Do you need to be a racing whippet for it to fit?

travellingman
    Free Member

**** me, £160 for a cycling jacket? That’s a lot of money.

I bought a Paramo Velez smock for hill walking and use it for cycling. Detachable hood and dropped back, with reflective trim. Outstanding but not available in fluorescent yellow, if that’s your thing….

The c**nts will either knock you off or not, I don’t think the jacket will make any difference. It’s just the luck of the draw.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Leffe – I’m 40-42″ chest, 29″ waist, 5’8″ tall and the Medium fits like a glove. Longish in the arm but that’s fine for riding. Also close fitting in the butt area (it has a silicon “gripper” section) too – anyone with a huge jacksy might not fit it well.

TBH I think it’s made for slimmish riders – it’s a closeish fit but then you only need one thin baselayer under it!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Arrgh – double post again!

TM – it was wife’s orders. If I tow the line, I can spend much more 😉

We have equal purse string control. Once she’s riding (horses) again (currently 7 months preggers), the financial balance will swing again!

£160 is a fair bit but it should last well and fitted perfectly. Happy to spend if I think it’s worth it but top dollar is not always best.

travellingman
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s all good at your end mate. I live in an isolated hill top fort, if you get my drift.
    Being under the thumb isn’t all bad… and a £250 allowance sounds pretty good to me!!

mosschops
    Free Member

+1 for Stealth

Medium fits me too – and I am 5′ 7″ and 39″ chest (sadly 33″ waist :cry:)

Its a warm jacket mind – wouldn’t use unless 10 degrees or less And yes definitely just a thin base layer underneath

MC

leffeboy

Thanks for the info SM & MC, that’s perfect. I was looking to replace the Altura Night Visions which only seem to last a year for me. Could be a good choice

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well the jacket got a pretty “extreme” test last night – pelting, freezing rain, hail, hub deeps puddles, deep deep mud (often had to pedal hard downhill to keep moving), etc and it performed flawlessly. My legs, feet and hands were drenched and freezing, cold, my boy and arms were bone dry. Temps were just above freezing and I wore a Finisterre merino base layer. Also got caught by a number of bramble branches – not a mark.

Only comment is that is might be hardish to keep clean – doesn’t wipe off as easily as hard shells.

Very very impressed.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Jacket dead – which one now?’ is closed to new replies.