Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • J E James, Good deals, but…
  • midlandsman
    Free Member

I hope you don’t find yourself in my predicament, I ordered (and paid for) a set of forks almost four weeks ago but I have not recieved them yet

In the first week I recieved the wrong foks, which I sent back to them (now three weeks ago), since then nothing.

my original email informing them of their error remains unanswered

It takes many attempts to get to speak to anybody on the customer returns number and when I have actually spoken to someone all I get is a vague statement that all returns have been processed, no dates, tracking numbers ect.

We all accept that mistakes happen and that is why good supplier offers as good a service to deal with returns as the service they offer for sales. My experience is that J E James are quick to sell but their after sales service is woefully inadequete, so beware!

if anyone else has had a after sales issue with J E James add a comment; have I been particularly unlucky?

jimmy

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Delt with them a couple of times, didn’t enjoy it. Won’t be doing so again. They usually pop up on here saying they’re trying to sort something out very very hard and don’t normally let people down very often at all.

radoggair
    Free Member

On the flip side they have been no problem for me

captain-slow
    Free Member

love their deals, hate their chosen courier, but to be fair found customer service response good when I had a problem last month

vdubber67
    Free Member

On the other flip side, great service in Ches shop.

Pook

on the other flip side, pretty poor service in Ches shop

jackal
    Free Member

On the other flip side, great service in Ches shop.

Really?

I’ve spent thousands with J.E.James in chesterfield over the years (had my first mtb, a GT timberline, from them 15 years ago). I think their service has got worse and worse over the years and some of the staff are more condescending than ever. For some reason I still go there though and they do have some good deals on now and again.

kimbers

theyve got a facebook page maybe try and harass them on there?

konarider
    Free Member

I’ve used the Rotherham branch a couple of times.

Mixed feelings really, most of the staff in store were un interested and although they were knowledgeable they weren’t particularly helpful. One chap in particular was clearly trying his best to find something better to do than give my friends and I assistance

That is with the exception of the workshop mechanic who gave me a hope head doctor for free because he over heard me bein told they had no star nuts left in stock. i thought that was nice

At a time when I was 100% clueless as opposed to the 95% I am now I feel I got duped into buying a poor pair of rims,though i do alsoI appreciate it was my fault too for not doing enough homework

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Got some hubs off them a couple of weeks ago. E-mailed first to check stock, then ordered about a week later. Good comms, arrived in good time, happy customer.

Bregante

I ordered some new gloves before a trip to the Pyrenees. After 3 weeks, contacted their customer services who apologised and said they would be posted out that day ( some mix up because the stock was at another branch) Another 10 days. Nowt. Rang them again to be told that the item had been discontinued. Wouldn’t ever give them my custom again.

timmys

Ten days to ship an in stock item. Pish.

midlandsman
    Free Member

Thanks for tip Kimbers, I’ll look them up on facebook, as they did’nt see fit to answer my email, I had assumed they were not so closeley connected to the online world!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Don’t like the shop in Rotherham. Its my LBS in a way but I would never go there! Tried the mail order last year and had to get on to the bloke who came on here who they sent on to try to dampen the flames of hard done by customers. Worst place I have had dealings with online or off line!

mushrooms
    Free Member

Very bad experience with them when trying to buy online, never again 😐

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

A week to ship some brake pads.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

they do have a double page ad in the mag, so no doubt Mark will pop along saying ‘it’s not their fault’ ‘you can’t jump to conclusions’ in the manner of the CRC security fiasco.

garethh
    Free Member

I’ve had quite a lot of dealings with JE James over the years and particularly recently, I have to say the service recently has been very, very good: parts fixed there and then in the workshop, Chris the manager has helped me out no end with a pair of forks with a fault which I bought second hand from another Sheffield bike shop who were not helpful. Paul and Dominic in the work shop have been persistant and helpful with a warranty problem I’m having with my Specialized.

They have had problems in the past but in recent months I can’t fault their service one bit, I know Chris has put alot of effort into making changes and trying to support local events like the Greno woods downhill. Thanks guys!

Gareth

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

OP, drop me an email over to andylivo@jejamescycles.co.uk and I’ll get someone on your issue as soon as I’m in the office this morning, I’m just about to set off out on the bike and will be in for about 8.30am and then I’ll get straight on it. The time scales you’ve given are clearly not good enough, once I know what happened I’ll come back with a full explanation as to what’s gone wrong.

Drop me a contact number in the mail, would prefer to talk to you if that’s convenient for you?

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Andy

timmys

jejamescycles.co.uk – Can you tell us how long we should expect to wait for an in stock item to ship so that we can manage our expectations?

midlandsman
    Free Member

Andy, thanks for the comment I’d hoped this post might get someone’s attention from J E James, I only have web access today so I cant e-mail you back and I won’t quote my order number or any other specific info on an open forum for secirity reasons. I would hope that you can easily find my order on your system, you can contact me today if you wish on my mobile phone number which is clearly shown on your invioce you have had my contact detials since 15th June but up to this point no one has returned a call or contacted me

Chris

Mounty_73

Bought online, never again, PERIOD!

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

I need a bit of info to find your order, we have hundreds of orders a day so to try and find you with no information is impossible. Can you give me the date you ordered on and the exact time (will be on your emailed receipt) and the product name of the forks and I’ll be able to find you no problem and sort this issue out.

This information will not put your security at risk which is something I appreciate your concerns on.

Cheers, Andy.

StuF

Used before, been spot on. Ordered helmet and seatpost on separate occasions, turned up a few days later. Would be nice if it was easier to deliver to somewhere other than home address. Courier emailed me to allow a change of delivery date as I wouldn’t be in. Hopefully the tyres will turn up when I asked.

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

jejamescycles.co.uk – Can you tell us how long we should expect to wait for an in stock item to ship so that we can manage our expectations?

Information

timmys

Information

Ah, OK thanks. That link details 5-7 working days, which I’m not sure is meant to be from ordering to dispatch or order to delivery. My last order took 8 working days from order to dispatch which I guess is only a touch outside what you aim for.

I know you like customer feedback so for what it’s worth, unless I’m really desperate, there are enough companies that manage 90% of the time to dispatch the same day as ordering , or next day after ordering, that I wouldn’t choose to use J E James again. In my very humble opinion if a company can’t dispatch within 24hrs of ordering I would suggest they are doing something wrong and should try and address that.

wrecker
    Free Member

NOrmal sketch, ordered brakes shown in stock. Email 5 odd days later to be told they werent in stock. Order cancelled.

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

Issue resolved. Seems OP’s replacement forks were lost by our courier. Offered to send pair today for delivery tomorrow but the conclusion was a full refund.

Communication could have been better from our returns department so this is to be looked into by our management team.

Apologies once again to the OP but these things do happen it’s just unfortunate you were the one out of the many customers we deal with on a daily basis that this happened too.

I hope faith will be restored should you decide to order at a later date.

Andy

sammieh
    Free Member

I used them for some XTR pedals last xmas… no probs at all 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I wonder how long it would have took if the guy had not posted on here! I guess its a good job we have this forum! Not really good though IMO to have to vent on here all the time to get your order sorted out. I have seen lots of this thing with J E James on here and after having it myself it seems in two years or so nothing as changed. I think Lord Alan Sugar needs a visit to the company! Not trying to be an arse about this but it would be good to use my local bike shop.

midlandsman
    Free Member

I must admit that after speaking to andy this morning I felt even more annoyed and dissapointed with J E James than when I started this thread, it transpires that J E James were aware my replacement forks had been lost by their courier when I chased them up on thursday last week. That’s three days of opportunity to get in touch with me and resolve the issue. I wonder how many more days would have passed before someone contacted me had I not posted here

I cancelled my order as I have totally lost faith in J E James. To think I might place an order with them in the future is fantasy, in today’s world of internet ordering customer expectation is set by companies who communicate well and deliver promptly, sure, things go wrong from time to time but if such problems are ignored either due to incompetence or ignorance they only get worse and lead to disgusted customers like me

I have to thank the guys at singletrack for hosting this forum and not removing this post, it is refreshing to find somewhere where you can highlight the poor performance of a potential magazine advertiser, long may it last, thanks

wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t go to Winstanleys.

midlandsman
    Free Member

wrecker – I have used them in the past, at least they did send me what I ordered!

from the look of the website I did’nt expect a rapid delivery or order status mesages so I wasn’t dissapointed.

madcyclistuk
    Free Member

I’ve just had a similar experience with JE James.
    Asked about some Velocity rims they had in stock, after several days they confirmed their colour and size. Unlike their competitors they didn’t bother to say about stock levels, so I immediately ordered 2 that their website allowed me to do.
    9, yes 9, days later they condescended to tell me that they didn’t have the rims in stock, what alternative did I want, or did I want to cancel the order? They didn’t recommend any rims, or offer a substitute at a higher price like most other shops do.

I’ve complained and, judging by this string, got the usual denials, so that’s the last order I’ll have with them as well as they’re clearly not listening to us, their customers!

I use mail order a lot and’ll stick to my usual shops – Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, and Parker International. At least they’re reliable and quick.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Bought quite a few small bits and one bike from JE James, cant say i was in a rush and everything arrived as it should and in a fairly timely manner. The communication however was not too great but nothing that would warrant me not giving them my business again.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t go to Winstanleys.

+1

JE James seem as good as the rest ATM

jfletch
    Free Member

If you think the mail order service is bad, try going into one of their shops!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘J E James, Good deals, but…’ is closed to new replies.