Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I've just dug through the water mains pipe into the house … oops
  • fisha
    Free Member

Whats more to say.

In order to get a building warrant, I need 2 inspection pits to show the founds for an engineering report.

Cutting a long story short … i dug straight through the mains pipe running into the house … oops. To be fair, I had no idea where it was meant to be, and i was looking out for it. Our house on the plot is not the one that was specced on the plans when the estate was built in the 70's

The wife aint happy. I suggested weeing in shoes, and that a set of bombers would sort it, but she didn't seem to understand. 😐

Want to know the best bit ? There is no stop cock in the street to shut the water off. So I cant repair it at the moment until the water dig up the road and re-instate the toby that they tarmac'ed over last year.

jam-bo

That's gonna cost you….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Dig some more, make the whole bigger so you have about a foot or two of pipe showing then bend it over on itself. It should top the water flowing

project
    Free Member

42 inspection pits,later edited by yourself,

founds,

toby in the street,

Translation please.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

It's not his fault. He's typing underwater

Jamie
    Free Member

Dig some more, make the whole bigger

The whole what? 😉

project
    Free Member

Hope youre not on a meter,

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Well as long as he's dug through it before the meter he should be fine. 😉

fisha
    Free Member

Edited, only 2 inspection pits.

Toby .. its what my neighbour called it. The little square plate thing in the street which you can open to turn off and on the water.

Last year, the water company dug up the whole road to fit new plastic water mains pipes through the town. All very well, but when it came to filling in the holes, the water company decided to leave the stop valve 3ft below the surface, and then cover it over. Their fault, not mine. They did the same to my neighbours and they fixed it about a month ago. My neighbour suggested they do ours at the same time as it was only 2ft away from his, but the guy says nah, it only said one on his sheet.

The real bad thing is that the mains pipe is copper … and its routed to go through where founds for my extension are planned to go. I've been told that aint allowed, so as well as pixing the join, i'll need to replace the copper with plastic style pipe too.

I have stopped the leak though. I bent over the pipe to kink it, which stemmed the flow enough for me to fit a cap on the end of the pipe. I was about 1ft deep in water in a 3ft hole at that time though, in shorts, wi no shoes on. 🙂

arse eh ?

footflaps

At least you know where it is now!

MrNutt
    Free Member

welcome to the apt user name club 😀

fisha
    Free Member

well yeah, at least I know where it is now – i had always wondered.

yay! part of the apt user name club!

project
    Free Member

Awaits threa tomorrow, cyclist/walker falls down hole left in street full of water.

what does PIXING the join mean, sounds like something sexual.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you don't have a cold water tank in your loft then you only have one flush of the toilet, use it wisely! Even with a tank full your flushes are numbered with no fresh supply.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

ctznsmith – Member
    Well as long as he's dug through it before the meter he should be fine.

😆 true!

I hope its stopped but whoops and it can happen to anyone.

yunki
    Free Member

I spent a great deal of this afternoon doing a very similar thing to someone elses house.. but without the mistake…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I've just dug through the water mains pipe into the house … oops’ is closed to new replies.