Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I’ve got sunburn!
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

‘So what?’, I hear you cry. Well, as a little brown person, it’s quite an achievement, I can tell you! I’ve been pottering around on me little balcony for a good few hours, sorting me plants out, and generally chilling. I have a definite redness on me back, and one shoulder (due to being in one position for most of the time). It’s been up to 40 deg C today, in the sun! Lovely!

Who’s gone and overdone it? Any tales of pain and suffering? Anyone disappointed they’ve not picked up the colour they thought they deserved?

I’m quite surprised, as it’s still just only May, and we have the hottest months still to come, supposedly.

Ooh, tingly!

rOcKeTdOg

two words,
    malignant melanoma
    slap on the sun block!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i smothered myself in factor 40 before venturing up to lee quarry at midday today (where it was a tasty 26 degrees, allegedly)…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I must say, that I am inexperienced, when it comes to sunblock and stuff. I’ve only ever got sunburnt a couple of times in my life (once fell asleep in a garden, for several hours; I certainly felt that).

Being half-White, I spose I still run the risk of sunburn, but it’s not something a naturally tanned person really thinks of, tbh. The sheer torture and misery experienced by some of my White mates used to leave me bemused, when I was younger. I could be in the sun for hours, and not feel any affect. Hence my surprise, on the very rare occasion that I turn slightly pink!

johnhoo
    Free Member

does the all-night chemist sell after-sun? you might want to invest in some. Either that or raid the ice box 😉

Drac

Never burnt for years probably not since I was a kid and never warn suntan protection since about then.

mogrim

I usually get burnt in February/March, it’s a wake up call here – come May I wouldn’t dream of spending time out in the sun without cream!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I used to be really good mates with a black guy called Rob – lets say he was around the shade of say, John Barnes, maybe a little darker. We were in the Southwest of France on holiday in June years back (well hot I can tell you) and I catch the fecker putting on seriously high factor suncream.

“What the bloody hell are you putting that on for” I ask him…”isn’t it only honkies like me that have to put that stuff on?”. “Bloody hell mate” he says “I don’t want to look like I just arrived from the congo he says”. Apparently, if he spent too much time under really hot sun, he’d turn even blacker than he was. We laughed so much that day…all day long at that conversation. I’ve never forgotten it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Apparently, if he spent too much time under really hot sun, he’d turn even blacker than he was

Did you really not know that ? Yes it’s true – black people are just like white people only, darker ! 😉

It reminds how many years ago, my sister who is a primary school teacher, was told by her mother-in-law one particularly hot summer’s day, “you’re black children must love this weather” ! 😀

My sister didn’t say anything, but I would have said, “well yeah, it’s like Africa innit” 😉

Sandwich

Did my burning last weekend on Stanage Enclosure Buttress. Nose stopped peeling on Wednesday and no sunscreen was needed today. <Robin Williams> It’s hot, damn hot</Robin Williams>

rs
    Free Member

i’ve got a balcony tan, coloured one side, pure white the other 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL! The pinkiness has subsided, and not really tingly now. I do need to even me tan up, though!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did you really not know that ? Yes it’s true – black people are just like white people only, darker !

I know ernie..doh! Made sense once he said it…just didn’t quite get it in the first place.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got my self burnt good style on Friday when gardening, didn’t even notice it happening.

My shoulders have now got blisters (they weep a little too) on them, any ideas what will help a bit, i’ve already applied copius amounts of aftersun and Savlon cream.

Is it wortha trip to the doctors tomorrow?

jimmy

‘my’. its ‘my’, not ‘me’.

grrr

gusamc
    Free Member

Keep cool with packs of frozen veg etc etc from freezer, leave well alone, don’t puncture and keep clean and don’t put cloth or anything that will stick anywhere near them (ie don’t wear clothes on them as they rub).

If it’s any consolation I’ve spent the last week covered in SPF50 and block(northern boy), sadly I didn’t spot that the milk coffee I ordered had been heated to approx the heart of the sun level, both lips blistered, two particulary appealling red scores where the cup touched my face, 3 days of weeping lip blisters, now lots of hardenened blackened skin and I can’t smile without wincing or drink without dribbling as I still can’t make a proper seal ….

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Rudeboy naughty naughty you should get some aftersun on the areas effected pronto and as someone who has got a 3″ round by 1/2″ deep scar on my leg caused by skin cancer i would like to remind everbody that sun block is a really good idea on days like to day and the rest of the week from the look of it.

DrJ

‘my’. its ‘my’, not ‘me’.

Don’t sweat it – he picked it up from watching Eastenders at the call centre.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No probs. It’s all calmed down now. Just browner.

Jimmy/DrJ; WTF are youse on about? Sun got to youse a bit? Wear a hat when you venture out in the hot sun, to avoid sunstroke. Helps to prevent delirium…

RustySpanner

I’ve got sunburned eyelids!

Do it every year: apply factor 30, sweat a lot, wipe eyes with gloves, forget to reapply cream – works every time 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No probs. It’s all calmed down now. Just browner.

You can’t imagine how relieved I am to hear that.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

And so you should be. Can you imagine, were I to get all crochety and irritable, due to burnage? A hot rain of lava would seem preferable…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of “all brown” mates who have been sunburned in the UK 😀 One of whome was particularly bemused when I laughed and said “I didn’t know people of your colour could get sunburn” – looked at me like I was an idiot!

GrahamS

I got my self burnt good style on Friday… Is it wortha trip to the doctors tomorrow?

Yeah, ask him for a big tub of MTFU! 🙄

“I didn’t know people of your colour could get sunburn” – looked at me like I was an idiot!

On the flipside, we were canoeing down the Zambezi (honeymoon) with scorching midday sun and absolutely no shade, and our guides were laughing at us for continually slopping on sunscreen.

I asked them if they ever got burnt and they said nah, only whities get burnt.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Obviously, darker skin will filter out the sun’s harmful rays more effectively, but darker skinned people can still suffer burns, if out in the hot sun for too long. It just takes a lot more sun, and more than we’d get in the UK.

coffeeking
    Free Member

more than we’d get in the UK.

Obviously not! 🙂 One of the chaps was a guy I knew at Uni, he had been over from Nigeria for 2 or 3 years but was still very dark to my eye. He’d spent the day on a beach on the coast near Liverpool and had acquired a nice tinge of red to his brown. As you say, I was under the impression that naturally darker skin would be near impossible to burn in the UK.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s down to how used your skin is to the sun. A white guy living all year round in Zambezi is unlikely to get sunburn, but a black guy who has lived all his life in South London and goes to Zambezi on holiday without taking any precautions, risks getting burnt.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The same goes for cacti btw, as I’ve discovered. Try putting a cactus which has spent all it’s life indoors outside at the mercy of the summer midday sun, and it will burn.

GrahamS

A white guy living all year round in Zambezi is unlikely to get sunburn,

Though he will get very wet.

(It’s a river)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Tanganyika!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

White man – he uses boat GrahamS

GrahamS

Tanganyika!

Gesundheit!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Maybe he lives on this, Ernie:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good grief no RudeBoy – how pretentious !

I was thinking more ….

RudeBoy
    Free Member

This more your thing, Ernie?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I can’t believe people don’t put sunscreen on for what they perceieve as “minor” things, you would’ve thought that skin cancer was publicised enough! Remember it’s one of the worst as they just have to keep hacking away, cutting the skin until the surrounding areas are clear! skin cancer is like an octupus it has it’s centre and then tendrils out. I’m sure Fat simon Mk 2 is thinking along the same lines as me. It’s NOT pleasant.
    Just put some sunscreen on it’s not hard!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL ! I’m loving the pikey boat with the decked veranda on the roof RudeBoy !

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I’ve got sunburn!’ is closed to new replies.