Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • It's this week's campervan question – windows
  • IHN

The conversion of my shiny silver T5 is coming along nicely, and I’m now going to order some side windows.

Fixed windows like this cost £69.

Windows that open like this cost £225.

I’m going to put two in, one on the passenger side and one on the driver side, and whilst ideally I’d like them both to open, that’s quite a difference in cost.

Do I just go for one opener? In which case, which side (probably passenger side, as that’s where the hob is)
    Any opinions/experiences?

jacksta
    Free Member

one over the hob will blow the gas out 🙂 well, ours does!

if you have an awning it might be good having it open into the awning, then you can have it open while you sleep without worrying as much, or if its raining (we dont like to sleep with the door open)

IHN

Awning side = passenger side = hob side 🙂

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d probably go for both personally. Particularly if you’re going to be cooking in the van.

It also depends what your insulation is like in the van. We’ve got a T4 Westfalia which is lagged better than our house and even in late autumn we’ve had to open the vents in the pop-top and a window “downstairs” to get enough ventilation.

That does seem pricy though – have you checked out scrapyards etc for a window from a written off Caravelle?

kevonakona
    Free Member

I’ve just got fixed on drivers side and a tailgate one, Wind deflectors on the cab windows can allow them to be cracked open for ventilation without allowing water in.

I’m carpeting the inside and setting the electrics up for connection. Interior lights will be sorted this weekend as well.

phil.w
    Free Member

I can recommend Vansport. They did a great job for me and lent me a vehicle while they did the work.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Out of interest, what are costs like for a custom camper conversion on a T5 base?

I love our T4, but have to admit to a touch of van envy on occasions.

Moses

SJ: Autohaus/ Acare charge about 12k for a VERY nice job, all mod cons. They’re at the foot of the Quantocks.

KK – don’t carpet, use some form of lino or industrial flooring. Our carpeted van got SO filthy and it was a swine to clean. You can always put mats down for wiping your feet.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound too bad. I was looking at a used new generation T5 California at the VW van place in Taunton the other week and it was only about 2K less than the new price!

IHN

Sprocket – I’ve bought a kit from Amdro and I’m doing it myself. £5k-ish for the DIY kit, or £8k-ish fitted. Top stuff, and Iwan is really helpful.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Oh and I agree don’t carpet the floor. We’ve got removable mats in ours with vinyl underneath. If a fixed carpet gets damp, it will be a nightmare to clean and if its not dried properly will absolutely stink.

My son threw up in the van when we were down in Cornwall the other week, and it was just a case of popping out the mat and giving it a scrub.

VanHalen

i have serious van envy at the mo. our t4 is battered and neglected.

the only problem is that to fix it means even less riding time which means nothing gets done.

back on topic we have a slider in the drivers side and fixed in the sliding door. we figured a opening window in the solid side of the van would be more useful on sunny days than a slider in a door you can open.

the gas hob doesnt blow out and its underneath but admittedly a bit protected by the opening lid to it.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I went for all fixed on mine and have wind deflectors on the front door windows for any ventilation required.

et voila (posted before so sorry if people are bored of seeing it)

kevonakona
    Free Member

To remove any van envy. Mine is sporting the fetching AA yellow and the inside is a scrap yard at the moment but I have two days of serious fettling then it’s off to followed by a couple of days touching up, then ROAD TRIP!!!! (well Kirroughtree, dalbeattie and mabie) .

Mike_D
    Free Member

Ours has got factory windows, so opening both sides, and we use both. Although that’s possibly because the layout’s conventional with stove on the driver’s side, so we open that window (and the rooflight) when cooking (stove lid/heatshield stops the flame blowing out). And the passenger side at night for ventilation (although usually the sliding door’s not quite shut, partially for ventilation but mostly because closing it properly tends to wake our youngest up 🙂 ). We’ll also drive with them both open slightly if it’s hot – gets really warm in the back otherwise.

Um. Not sure that answers the question 🙂 I think ideally both, if you want to save the money have an opener on the passenger side to open into the awning. Maybe. Problem is that until you’ve used the van you won’t really know, although given how much you must already have spent on the van and the kit, the extra for two openers is relatively small beer 🙂

IHN

given how much you must already have spent on the van and the kit, the extra for two openers is relatively small beer

That’s what I decided in the end, so I’ve ordered two openers.

Should arrive Tuesday, which is when I get to cut two big holes out of the side of my van 😯

Measure twice, cut once, measure twice, cut once…

nicko74

Nah, just hit it with a hammer. Worked for me with my headset 😉

Out of interest, is there any DVLA/ MOT type shenanigans involved in turning a van (commercial or otherwise) into a camper with windows and a bed?

forge197
    Free Member

I have opener in slider door passenger side and fixed over the hob drivers side, there is a criteria to meet and a commercial van can be recat to a motorhome the benefit being 70mph rather fan 60 on motorway

Mike_D
    Free Member

If you’ve got a sink, a cooker and a bed and windows in the back, you can change the vehicle type on the V5 to “motorcaravan”, which will mean easier/cheaper insurance and a higher speed limit 🙂 I don’t know exactly what the procedure is, though. The Self Build Motor Caravan Club (sbmcc.org.uk probably) will know all 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

When my was finished I took some comprehensive photos and a copy of the conversion receipt and sent it in, took about 3 or 4 weeks to come back but no queries or issues, even increased the seating capacity as the reimo333 seat is crash tested for three.

http://www.campervanlife.com/building/legal has some details on what’s needed

IHN

And more details of DVLA shenanigans here:

Insurance & the DVLA

spooky_b329

a commercial van can be recat to a motorhome the benefit being 70mph rather fan 60 on motorway

You can already go 70mph as a commercial van on a motorway, its single and dual carriageway where the limits will increase from 50 to 60, and 60 to 70mph.

Even if you don’t get the van re-registered as a motor caravan, you can get the van MOT’d as a class 4 (car) rather than class 7 (commercial) which is a bit less stringent. If you have a large van you will still need to find a garage with class 7 testing facilities though. BT Fleet and council garages are a good choice.

forge197
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘It's this week's campervan question – windows’ is closed to new replies.