Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Its official, fat biking makes you fast!
  • lightman
    Free Member

I got my OO Fatty in November and Ive never been off it since as its now my everyday bike.

I just finished my Dirty Harry rigid build the other week and finally got it out today for its maiden blast in the hills.
    It didn’t feel particularly fast, certainly a lot easier up the hills than the Fatty.
    3hrs latter and I (somehow) smashed some of my KOMs from last year to rack up 5 for the day, nearly got 6, but a stop to zip up my top before a descent, may have cost me that one.

One thing the Fatty wins hands down with, its the amount of grip on sketchy gravelly descents. 2.1’s have nothing on 4 inches of near endless grip.

And my finished Harry in the sunny Pentland hills ~

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Is that a triple? I thought they only came on kids and mincers bikes now. Come on, you’re not fooling anyone…STRAVA link or it didn’t happen…

rOcKeTdOg

I did the same, but It felt so weird with the lack of grip I went back to the fatty for trails. The addition of a mammoth on the rear has reduced the rolling resistance and skids are easier now too! 🙂

lightman
    Free Member

Yeah, triple and only 9 speed, its a retro build!
    It was done on a very small budget, and I managed to get down to 9.8kg so far. An XT cassette should knock another 150 grams off alone, so that will be next I think.

Link as requested.
    I’ll not lie, I really wasn’t expecting to get any as Im still carrying a large amount of my winter insulation!

The amount of grip on the Fatty does scare me a bit, as I find myself pushing a lot more than I normally would on descents.
    This is a very gravelly,twisty and scary fast one which I am so close to getting on the Fatty!
    https://app.strava.com/segments/2275284?filter=overall

rickmeister

Black and red, always a good colourcombo… Bike looks braw… It’s set up exactly like my tranny with those Exotic forks too….

I feel stronger after a winters worth of snowy Fat Slagging …

andyjh

I did exactly the same, bought an OO Fatty last year and rode it all through winter to keep my full sus in good condition. By the end of the winter I was loving how much confidence I had on slippy downhill sections. First ride out on my full sus over at Peaslake and I had an off on the slippy off camber roots! Some the Fatty would of just gripped easily on. Knocked my confidence in grip a little but generally I’ve smashed all my PB’s since being back on a lighter bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Its official, fat biking makes you fast!’ is closed to new replies.