Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Italy Road riding break.
  • shanta
    Free Member

My Mrs is 50 in Nov and im looking for somewhere to take her for a week away. Obviously we are both into cycling and she doesn’t like sitting on beaches all day. She has always wanted to go to also. So, i have a cunning plan to combine two. However i have no clue where to go, especially as it is November too. Ideally Lake Garda would be preferred, a nice hotel with the odd day pedalling involved.

Has anyone done anything similar or could anyone recommend anywhere?

Much appreciated .

MSP

I think Lake Garda is up in the northern mountains, November may not be the best time to go there.

Bazz

I went with a mate of mine (who is from the area) in Oct 2012, it was fantastic, rode the 2013 Giro mountain time trial route (Mori-Pulsa). I’m afraid i can’t reccomend any hotels as we stayed with his family in Rovereto, but the cycling there is ace, even the weather in mid October was warm and sunny every day, ss jerseys and shorts. Do it, maybe try Trip advisor for some hotels, being the gap between summer and skiing seasons i reckon their would be some good deals about.

mikey74
    Free Member

A guy at work did a weeks riding based around Lake Como, few weeks ago. He said it was a great time.

shanta
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys. has anyone stayed here http://www.gardabikehotel.com/en/ ?

Obviously there are some very nice hotels on Lake Garda and mostly likely is they wont be cycle hotels, which is fine if i could find a guide to hire for a couples of day with good quality bikes to hire.

rsmythe
    Free Member

I’ve heard Sicily weather is great all year. Not sure about the riding but apparently there is a big motorcycling culture there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Florence. You need to go to Florence.

Shall we just end the thread now?

Just ask if you want more info, I lived and rode there for 3 years and have mates who still live and ride around there.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve been to garda and stayed in a hotel in limone which is a marigold colour and sits out half on the lake. Sorry can’t remember the name of it but it’s in evey picture of limone, says right next to where one of the ferry comes in.

Going to torbole this year with Michael cycle but that mtb obviously. I think the weather round there will be ok in November but obviously you won’t be able to go into the mountains.

Had it been earlier, I would have recommended bormio, as it would have allowed you to do both paseo stelvio and paseo gavia….but will be snowed out at that time as only open June-oct. If you ever do go to bormio, hotel alu is fantastic, food amazing and the owners beppe and Chiara are amazingly helpful at pointing out routes. Had best ever holiday of my life there last year, motor biking and wee bit mtb.

shanta
    Free Member

@bikebouy…tell me more. PM plz..cheers

geoffj

The Italian lakes are lovely, but I’m not convinced I’d want to ride a road bike on the roads around them. The lake roads can be very busy. If it has to be Italy, at that time of year, I’d head for Sardinia or Sicily at a push – although Sicily can feel a bit Wild West.

TooTall
    Free Member

Don’t go South of Rome if you are new to Italy / cycling. You won’t like it and it might be dangerous to your health/wealth.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Italy Road riding break.’ is closed to new replies.