Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Issue 71 Now In The Mag Archive
  • Mark

Complete with a digital supplement of staff gallery shots that isn’t in the printed mag.

Any print mag subscribers who have yet to activate their Premier Accounts so they can access the extra bits should go to..

http://www.singletrackworld.com/upgrade

Drac

Nice, my print copy arrived this am was going to take it work on the slim chance I may get to read some. Think I’ll just stick the PDF on my Mac Book now instead.

P20

Anyone else having problems with the PDF? It’s very slow to open (if at all) certain pages in my original iPad in either iBooks or goodreader

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    apreading
    Free Member

How soon does the kindle version get there? Or should I just use Calibre and convert the PDF?

thanks

Drac

Page 47 the Exposure ad constantly refreshes in Adobe viewer on my Mac, it causes it lag and stops me from zooming in.

I’ll try to test it on other devices later.

Mark

I think there’s a problem with an embedded font. I’ll fix it first thing.
    Sorry about that.

pmc00per
    Free Member

When is the kindle edition being publshed?

mayan
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve downloaded 69, 70 and now 71 to read on the iPad, downloaded as high quality PDF format, and then opened in iBooks as per instructions.
    All three have a number of blank pages (normally in the second half of the mag)and then any pages later on are out of focus, like a really poor quality pdf.
    Closing then reopening sometimes fixes it for specific pages, but not always and I’ve never had an entire issue open without some issues – sometimes as much as 3/4 of the second half is blank, the rest out of focus.

I dont really like reading stuff sat at my PC, so went for this option so I can read it on the iPad, but this isnt working either.
    Is there something i’m doing wrong? does a lower quality pdf work? is ti the iPad? (although other books and pdfs work fine)
    I’ve tried the kindle edition in the kindle app, but there’s no pictures.

Any ideas?

geologist
    Free Member

Is the new issue in the shops yet?

Cheers

Mark

We are looking into the problems with some of the PDF rendering issues. It looks like it could be a memory issue on the device being used. One thing you could try is making sure you have shut down any unnecessary apps. Double tap the home button on iPad and this will bring up all the Apps currently sat in your devices memory. Press and hold any of them and they will all start to wobble with the delet ‘x’ sign over them. delete any your are not using. I bet there’s loads 🙂

Then try using the PDF again in iBooks.

I’m looking at new ways to keep the file size as low as possible – the problem with compression though is that you can get it right for one app but it stuffs it up for another. PDF is ‘sposed to be a universal file format but it seems when you are trying to optimise the file size size that universality can get compromised. Going to solve this issue though.

There’s a new version of the Hi Res PDF now in the Mag Archive. It’s actually slightly larger than the first but I’m hoping that slightly less compression may help. Let me know how you get on and we will keep working on it.

I’m currently adding the images to the ePub version now so I hope to have that done by the middle of the afternoon. The iPad App version (via Pocketmags) will be next and I hope to have that live by tonight.
    The Kindle version will be ready tonight too and the mag will be on sale in shops tomorrow 🙂

Mark

The new PDF seems to work on our iPad2’s in the office. How is it looking for everyone else?

Drac

Hmm! I can’t seem to find it on my iPhone or iPad 2 am I missing something on how to access them. My brain is still asleep after nights so probably am.

Mark

Mag Archive > issue 71 > PDF Button

Drac

Doh!

No sleep is not good. I even downloaded again on the Mac like that. 😳

Mark

The App version is done.. Just waiting for it to be authorised by the App development company (Pocketmags).

Drac

Ok HIgh Res without shutting down the 2 trillion apps in the background the kids and wife had running meant it paused and froze for about 2 mins on page 47. Now I’ve shut them down I’ve set it away to download again and it’s stuck, I’ll keep trying incase it’s my connection.

Edit: Ok again pages 46-47 are hanging my iPad2 64gb Wifi 3G version, all up to date too.

Mark

You are opening it up in iBooks once it’s downloaded?

Drac

Right that’s it I’m off back to bed.

Drac

Ok this time.

in iBooks 2 blank pages 47-50 it then break the format of the rest of it so they’re now low res and the text images are blurred.

Mark

OK. It seems that if you leave iBooks long enough it will render all the pages. The problem is there are a few individual pages that are still huge! There are a few Ad pages that were coming in at over 4mb each! I’ve sorted those individual pages by converting the whole page to jpg. That’s trimmed nearly 10mb off the file size.

Drac

Cheers Mark did seem to choke as I answered the door whilst testing it which allowed some pages to load, it then seems fine. Good speedy work.

Mark

The App version is now available if you have it.

A note on the iPad App…

I hate how it sits outside of our current subscription system. ie.. you can subscribe here on our site to the mag and get all the various formats – PDF, Flash, ePub, Kindle etc… but to get the App version you need to buy our App from the iTunes store on top of your subscription here. That’s NOT what we want but it’s how it works when you have to deal with Apple (who want their cut) and a third party App provider (who also need to be paid). The problem has always been how do we merge the two into one subscription? We have been offering a free Premier account on here to anyone who buys a subscription via our App for the last year, but it’s a horrible way of doing things as it relies on the App subscriber contacting us via email and sending us their address details so we can set them up with an account here. Rubbish!
    What we’ve not been able to do is allow Premier subscribers to gain access to the App.

But we think we’ve solved that problem now.

We are working with our App provider (PocketMags) to enable an opt in system for our existing Premier subscribers. Soon if you are a subscriber you will be able to activate a free Pocketmags account through your Premier Account settings. Once you have done that you will be able to download the App from the App store, login and then access the remainder of your subscription through the App as well as through our Mag Archive.

It will cost us for each issue you download as the App provider needs to be paid somehow (and rightly so) but we really want to make our subscriptions completely universal ie. You pay once but get the mag in EVERY format possible for once price, so it will be worth it.

We hope you will think so too.. 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

PDF version not rendering on my PC – running Linux – not an issue with not enough memory 🙂

Ideas?

Mark

We’ve had Linux issues before. It needs a differently compressed PDF. We will look to do that tomorrow

GregMay
    Free Member

Hurrah for being in the 1% of the internet that cares about us! Have a penguin.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Mark – you just answered my question!
    Was really pissed when looking that I’d have to pay another £2.99 for the app when I’m subscribed already here – but seems really dumb that they expect payment from you guys – surely the digital subscription is part of the same thing from Pocketmags?

Mark

To be fair to pocket mags there’s effectively two routes to a subscription and we only pay them for one of them. If you pay for a subscription in App then pocket mags are paid. We just take our share and then set you up with premier access over here. That’s what we’ve been able to do for a year already.

The problem has been when you buy a sub here on our website. We get all that cash and pocket mags get none. It would be unfair to expect them to allow access to their system for free to people who choose to subscribe here and not in the app. But what we are building with pocket mags is a simple(to the user) system that allows existing subscribers over here to create a free pocket gas account that can be used to access the app. It’s fair that we pass on some of the revenue from those subscriptions to pocket mags.

The end result will be that whether you subscribe via the app or via this site you will have full access to both 🙂

Yes we will be taking a hit on the subs revenue by passing some of it on to pocket mags but our gamble is that the overall package of a pay once – view anywhere subscription will attract more subscriptions to offset the costs of integrating the two systems. Fingers crossed 😉

Mark

ePub version is now up ini the mag Archive for all mobile reader users 🙂

mayan
    Free Member

Mark,
    Did what you recommended ( closed the gazillion apps which I didnt even realise stayed open!!) and closed down iBooks and tried again, and it seems to be working great now. I’ve got three issues and they all seem to render ok, and any blank pages seem to load up when you go into them.
    Good to hear about the app issue, I looked into that and it seemed to be very disconnected, and I couldn’t find anyway of working out how it would connect in to the forum etc. maybe put a better description in the app store?

Anyway it’s working now, so thanks for the help in getting it sorted.

Mark

Kindle version is there now too.

If you have a Kindle app on your phone or tablet then just clicking the ‘Kindle’ button in the Mag Archive will download it to your device (so long as you use your device to navigate to the Magarchive).

If you have a kindle account then you can download the file to your PC/mac then attach the file to an email and send it your Kindle. Your kindle specific email address can be found in your Amazon Kindle account settings.

Or you can connect your Kindle to your PC/mac using your USB cable and then copy the file directly to the ‘Documents’ folder on your Kindle device.

The Kindle version is smaller than the ePub version as we’ve compressed the images down to there smallest file size/quality. The images in the ePub version are all hi res versions.

Andy_Baz

Mark – apologies for the thread hijack but what happened to the 29er winter tyre review referred to in the issue 69 tyre test? I’ve never been able to find it. I did ask the question on the comments on the issue 69 page but had no response.

Cheers, Andy

chipps

Hi Andy,
    To be honest, we’re still waiting to get a decent amount of 29er winter/mud tyres in to do a grouptest. Currently we still don’t have enough, so we’ll probably be doing the individual tyres as Grinder reviews.

If there are actually loads of tyres that we’ve not thought of, then feel free to email me with some suggestions and we’ll get them in!
    Cheers Chipps

shifter
    Free Member

PDF looking good on gooseberry Playbook.

IA

One thing you could try is making sure you have shut down any unnecessary apps. Double tap the home button on iPad and this will bring up all the Apps currently sat in your devices memory. Press and hold any of them and they will all start to wobble with the delet ‘x’ sign over them. delete any your are not using.

Ahh this is just wrong. The only reason this would help would be in very specific cases with malfunctioning 3rd party apps.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Pretty much explains it as well as I could.

druidh
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    Kindle version is there now too.

If you have a Kindle app on your phone or tablet then just clicking the ‘Kindle’ button in the Mag Archive will download it to your device (so long as you use your device to navigate to the Magarchive).

If you have a kindle account then you can download the file to your PC/mac then attach the file to an email and send it your Kindle. Your kindle specific email address can be found in your Amazon Kindle account settings.

Or you can connect your Kindle to your PC/mac using your USB cable and then copy the file directly to the ‘Documents’ folder on your Kindle device.Is it not possible to download it to the Kindle by using the Kindle Browser?

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi druidh,
    I’ve just tested via the “experimental” web browser and it wasn’t possible.

However I’ve tweaked it and it is now possible.

So the answer is Yes!

P20

I finally got round to downloading the updated version. It works much better. Cheers

smudge
    Free Member

Double tap the home button on iPad and this will bring up all the Apps currently sat in your devices memory. Press and hold any of them and they will all start to wobble with the delet ‘x’ sign over them. delete any your are not using. I bet there’s loads

Yes loads!! Thanks Mark never knew that 8)

Mag now loads up with all the pages, happy chappy

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Issue 71 Now In The Mag Archive’ is closed to new replies.