Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Is this unreasonable…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Looking to book a party for my soon to be two and six year old daughters, we found somewhere we thought fits the bill so I was in the process of booking with them. I then added that I’d pop in after my eldest has finished school to pay them and seeing as we are giving then a few bob for the party would it be ok if my daughters had a play for half hour whilst I sorted the booking with them? She said no that wasn’t ok and they’d have to pay to use the centre. I was so taken aback that I had to ask her to repeat it and then I informed her that I’d take my business elsewhere.

Am I/she being unreasonable…?

RealMan
    Free Member

Could’ve asked to talk to the manager. It’s not like they’re forced to do it though.

jam-bo

I bet your the kind of person who munches away on your way around the supermarket…

camo16
    Free Member

I so want to be angry on your behalf.

Stoner
    Free Member

Wont somebody think of the children>!>!??!??!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d say you were being unreasonable and have made a bit of a drama out of the situation.

If you sign a child in to play they would need to go through the system, the system would need payment. The kid can’t just play without being registered.

convert

you are – you could could have booked your sprog in and they could have waived the fee as an act of good will but to ask/expect marks you out as maybe someone they were happy for the business to go elsewhere.

theotherjonv

Yes.

My daughter had a swimming party at the local leisure centre earlier this year. Can i pop in and use it for free as a result?

KennySenior
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter does it.

Cougar

I think you’re both unreasonable.

I think she was unreasonable to let you, if you were there to make a large booking. In her position, I’d have thought it was good goodwill.

However, I think you’re being unreasonable in expecting a freebie. I’d have looked at it as a nice bonus if she’d yes, rather than unacceptable that she’d said no.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d say you were being inreasonable

I don’t think many other people would say that though.

alfabus
    Free Member

Am I/she being unreasonable…?

Yes. If you were there in person, and the booking was actually taking a long time, or you had to wait while before they could see you, then a freebie would have been a good thing for them to offer; but to phone in advance and book your goodwill gesture is a bit unreasonable.

Dave

Cougar

If you sign a child in to play they would need to go through the system, the system would need payment. The kid can’t just play without being registered.

I wondered that; but then, she could’ve simply explained if that were the case.

higthepig
    Free Member

Unreasonable, bit like sending them into a screen in the Cinema whilst you buy tickets for later in the week.

camo16
    Free Member

I don’t think many other people would say that though.
    I would, bit like sending them into a screen in the Cinema whilst you buy tickets for later in the week.

😯

* Senses something may have been missed. *

hels
    Free Member

From the perspective of IT project managing an entry/ticket system recently, I suspect that probably “Computer Says No” and person on desk didn’t have authority to over-ride that. Otherwise, well nobody would pay would they ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

play for half hour whilst I sorted the booking with them?

Why would it take 30 minutes to book a party btw? I’ve done this for my son before several times and it never took anywhere near 30 minutes.

Yes if the system was the problem then she could have explained that. However I was so taken aback that I had to ask her to repeat it gives the impression that the OP was incensed by that point and she could tell a stroppy customer situation was brewing.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Yes you are, people always want something for nothing or they throw their toys. I had 15 years of people like you and as you might guess, I hated it.

RealMan
    Free Member

I would, bit like sending them into a screen in the Cinema whilst you buy tickets for later in the week.

*sigh*

Cougar

From the perspective of IT project managing an entry/ticket system recently, I suspect that probably “Computer Says No” and person on desk didn’t have authority to over-ride that.

I worked in a bowling alley / Quasar establishment in a past life, and certainly my experiences there would bear out that it’s close to impossible to give out freebies, by design.

Again though, it wouldn’t have been rocket science for her to explain this.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So the OP has lost the place they spent time looking for for the sake of 30 minutes free playing time for the sprog.

Was your flounce worth it?

Will Mr & Mrs loddrik be on speaking terms tonight?

loddrik
    Free Member

I, naturally, say that you are all wrong. They would be getting 15 kids in for two hours play which I am paying for. That 15 kids who would otherwise not be there, so I can’t see why they could allow half hour fee waived. I am now going to dig my heels in and phone around with the same query, and them book with the first centre that allows.

Although I am pretty sure once the wife hears about events things will be taken out of my hands….

bazookajoe
    Free Member

You could have still taken them with you for the half hour to sort out the booking and given them both some chocolate beforehand – I’m sure they’d have been happy to let them play for free after 5 minutes in the office/reception area.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It worries me but I actually agree with the OP
    A few minutes playing for a booking would be fine if it was my company. If they say no you know they wont go the extra mile for cutomer satisfaction so take your money elsewhere.
    One asked me to bring my own food to my [vegan] kids party and then still pay them for food we did not have …madness

RealMan
    Free Member

Chocolate? Amateur stuff.

Gary_M
    Free Member

They would be getting 15 kids in for two hours play which I am paying for.

Which I’m sure happens all the time at these venues, why should you get special treatment? How much does 30 minutes play cost – £2:50 or something?

Had I been in your situation I wouldn’t have asked for a freebie beforehand, when I went to pay I may have said ‘is it all right if child plays whilst we sort out the booking?’, if they said ‘no’, then it wouldn’t be a big deal. If you want to do deals in future face to face works best.

Cougar

I can’t see why they could allow half hour fee waived.

… other than the several reasons we’ve cited here?

Junkyard
    Free Member

and so they loose some customers
    Swings and roundabouts. if you had asked to try it for free to decide whether to book the party then do one.
    Child plays whislt he pays them for the party = fair deal IMHO

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I can see why you asked.

I don’t see why you reacted in the way you did.

Perhaps the person on the phone was an employee only and couldn’t make those sort of decisions – in which case I suppose I would have hoped they would have said they would ask a manager.

You are going to look a prat when you go there anyway, your wife having over-ruled your protest.

🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

I was so taken aback that I had to ask her to repeat it and then I informed her that I’d take my business elsewhere.

I thought it was women that suffered from hormonal imbalances?

You are going to look a prat when you go there anyway, your wife having over-ruled your protest.

MF talks the sense

DenDennis
    Free Member

still not sure why it would take 30mins to pay etc?
    Or does OP want it to take that long to get 25% extra free and a few mins peace?

Trouble with all these organised places these days is the no-win-no-fee solicitors encouraging peoples to claim when wee johnny hurts his knee.
    if you go in free they will not be insured is my guess…

AdeC
    Free Member

mumsnet has a section in their forum called “Am I being unreasonable…”

Its like the Daily Mail on crack. Go on have a look, you know you want to.

camo16
    Free Member

mumsnet has a section in their forum called “Am I being unreasonable…”

mumsnet: legit or dodgy? 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Yes

camo16
    Free Member

Cool. I’ll have a look then.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Is this unreasonable…?’ is closed to new replies.