Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is this too big?!
  • redrenault
    Free Member

Dented the chainstay in my Glory at the weekend. is this rideable?!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d certainly be wary of riding that.
    Also I’d recommend that you run the rear brake hose on the inside of the seatstay, rather than on the outside to avoid impact damage to the hose (it looks like its already taken a hit and is slightly squashed).

the-muffin-man

I’d ride it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Bin time for me, if you ride it hard that is.

bencooper
    Free Member

Rideable, but keep an eye on it of course. LH chainstays are under a lot less stress than RH, and when chainstays go they go at the ends.

winch
    Free Member

I’d ride it but avoid turning left.

redrenault
    Free Member

Yeah… im gonna keep it going i think. Its the start of the season so not exactly ideal time, Ive just spotted a newer Glory for sale for $1500 though. Hmm.

Northwind

I would ride it sidesaddle on the right.

Is the stay still straight, just dented? If it’s still the right shape, I’d ride it. Yes it’ll be weaker but that’s not an especially weak spot anyway. Way I see it is all big bikes are somewhere on a road to failure as soon as you ride them, I’d bet 10p what retires this frame will be something else entirely.

But, it is your ass.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The chainstay is under tension, so it may be ok, if it was the seatstay then it is under compression and also loading from the disc brake.
    Perhaps see of you can find a rear triangle for sale, or speak to your Giant dealer and see if they can do you a crash replacement cheap?

redrenault
    Free Member

The stay is still straight yup! I might just “fix” it. (ie ignore it until i crash horribly and die)

redrenault
    Free Member

Im in New Zealand. spares here are hard to come by 🙁

honourablegeorge

The worst that’ll happen is that the chainstay will snap.

scaredypants

Im in New Zealand

forget what they all said about tension/compression then – your gravity’s all uspide down

wwaswas

There’s a spoon based repair waiting to happen if ever I saw one.

fasthaggis

Not a bad call wwaswas ,it could be wrapped in a big fugly carbon bandage and used till something else broke 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

that dent itself is probably fine/safe, i wouldn’t retire that frame just yet, but the day when it finally gets hung up on the garage wall did get a lot closer…

That must have been a heck of a thump though, is everything else still straight?…

flybywire
    Free Member

no tailwhips 😉

legend
    Free Member

Old Glorys were made from the strongest material evar used on a bike. That’s still got at least another 20years use in it

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ride it. Old Glory’s were hard as nails.

The rock probably came off worse. More fool it for picking a fight with a Glory.

officialtob
    Free Member

is this too big?

*walks away disappointed with thread content*

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is this too big?!’ is closed to new replies.