Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Is this the worst product packaging method EVER?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Fiddly, messy, annoying bastards.

Deep breath.

(licks spread cheese from fingers)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Possibly. But it may also be the worst cheese-impersonating snack product EVER, so there's some consistency there at least. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think the worst packaging is where you have 2 conformally moulded sheets of clear plastic enclosing the item and welded together. Sometimes the 2 halves are stuck so well you risk slicing yourself, either with the knife you use to hack them apart, or on the wickedly sharp edges formed 🙁

l45key
    Free Member

Those wires that kids toys are packaged with in boxes.

Just have to attack with scissors or any other sharp object to set the toy free!

the-muffin-man

…you see that little red tab on the side, try pulling it!! 😉

stumpy01

I thought this thread was about this:

simonfbarnes – Member
    I think the worst packaging is where you have 2 conformally moulded sheets of clear plastic enclosing the item and welded together. Sometimes the 2 halves are stuck so well you risk slicing yourself, either with the knife you use to hack them apart, or on the wickedly sharp edges formed

Definitely the worst. Or DVD/CD wrappers that are impossible to remove.

nickc

You take the packaging off? I thought that was the product, and the vile curd inside was just some weird internal strengthening device…

nickjb
    Free Member

sfb has it. Those things are a pain. Dairylea triangles are an act of genius. tear off a small corner and pipe it out like cake icing, see if you can get it all out before it splits.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the worst packaging is where you have 2 conformally moulded sheets of clear plastic enclosing the item and welded together. Sometimes the 2 halves are stuck so well you risk slicing yourself, either with the knife you use to hack them apart, or on the wickedly sharp edges formed

What he said. No need to waste money on military hardware; just send your enemies loads of highly desirable items packaged in this fashion, then simply walk in after they've all stabbed themselves and severed arteries etc, they won't be in any position to fight then. Might be a bit messy though.

And the memory card I bought online; packaged on card, about 6×4", 1/2" thick. Came in a box 12x8x10". Insanity.

Cougar

I think the worst packaging is where you have 2 conformally moulded sheets of clear plastic enclosing the item and welded together.

Blister packs. I saw a special knife / tool thing for opening these things once, for sale in Tebay services if memory serves. It was packaged in … a blister pack. Maybe they thought you'd buy two? o..O

warton
    Free Member

Those wires that kids toys are packaged with in boxes.

Just have to attack with scissors or any other sharp object to set the toy free!

I just turn the box over and unwind the wires, but each to their own…

steviegil
    Free Member

What simonofbarnes said, how on earth are kids meant to open their toy cars etc when its a nigh on military operation for us to get the bloody thing opened!?

binners

And the best packaging

Theres something curiously rewarding about peeling a babybel

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the worst packaging is where you have 2 conformally moulded sheets of clear plastic enclosing the item and welded together

The reason they do that is to reduce product loss. By making the packaging super tough, they can guarantee hardly any packaging is going to be damaged and hence product loss is as low as it can be. At the expense of ease of opening…

nickc

Blister packs, and it's always the sturdiest things come packaged like this, so a chisel, or hammer… but then eggs come in a box that a small child can crush…

falkirk-mark

I just turn the box over and unwind the wires, but each to their own…

With an impatient kid bursting your head (you are a sicker/ better man than me)

mogrim

With an impatient kid bursting your head (you are a sicker/ better man than me)

I like to make 'em wait, learning experience for them.

The blister packs and the CD packaging are pretty awful, but my personal vote goes for Bimbo crustless bread, which has the usual plastic outside, and then a second sealed inner plastic wrapper around the bread itself. Easy enough to open, but what a waste of plastic! (And yes, it's Bimbo bread, it doesn't sound as stupid in Spanish…)

austin
    Free Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm (youtube link)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my least favourite (along with those stupid plastic packages) is disco brake pad packs – heatshrink plastic around a non-uniform metal shape WITH A SPRING in it is bad enough… but the card on the back is so rigid, its impossible to use the 'slits' they put in it.
    it may seem petty, but i'll not be buying them again. SSC pads are just as good, and have far better packaging!

elliptic
    Free Member

Sometimes the 2 halves are stuck so well you risk slicing yourself, either with the knife you use to hack them apart, or on the wickedly sharp edges formed

I once did exactly that, stabbed myself with the knife I was using to open a blister pack containing…

…drum roll…

…another kitchen knife. 😳

Pook

disco pads yes! Number of times I've bent the spring…..

joemarshall
    Free Member

The reason they do that is to reduce product loss. By making the packaging super tough, they can guarantee hardly any packaging is going to be damaged and hence product loss is as low as it can be. At the expense of ease of opening…

I always thought it was to reduce returns – because most places say they'll do a refund if you return things in the original packaging, with that kind of thing, there is no chance you can open it and then change your mind?

Joe

MrAgreeable

Theres something curiously rewarding about peeling a babybel

If you count eating a blob of tasteless wax as a reward. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

The worst

The best

derek_starship
    Free Member

Good method:

Don't know where to start, lump hammer and bolster method:

warton
    Free Member

coconuts are easy to open, one whack with a heavy knife will do it no problem, its just knowing where to hit it!

mefty
    Free Member

Use one of these to open walnuts, excellent

rootes1

christ! your bowling ball could do with a clean… you will never get it to swerve nicely down the lane with all that crap on it.. 😆

takisawa2

Dont know about the worst, but the most wasteful has to be Ergon grips with that specially moulded tube thing & the posh screws that just get binned. Totally stupid.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Rocky biscuits annoy me. Each one is wrapped individually, then wrapped into packs of 7, then another layer of plastic to make the 14 pack! I think it is to confuse the Geordies…

CountZero

Those welded blister packs annoy me too. I've come very close indeed to badly slicing either myself or the product with a utility knife quite a few times. I now use a sharp pair of heavy duty scissors designed for cutting fiber optic cable. Still leaves sharp edges on the plastic, but no risk of a finger sliced to the bone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL @ Rootes! V.V.Funny! 😀

Oggles
    Free Member

This is probably the worst packaging ever.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Fantastic

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Back to the OP – simply bite a tiny hole in one corner then squeeze the cheese out like toothpaste. It's how I always used to eat it as a kid 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

agreed Mastiles. If you made the hole too small then squeezed it'd just pop, but get the hole just right and you get a long wiggly worm of cheese that'd go on for ages! you could write yer name in dairylea.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kevevs and masty-fanny, you've both made me feel unwell 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

mountainbikers nationwide are now poking holes in dairylea triangles. Forget it, it's an art only a kid could master.

GrahamS

Back to the OP: they are easy to open. It ain't hard man. Just pull the red tab and one whole half of the tinfoil triangle comes away leaving your cheesefood-goo sitting proudly on the remaining half – ready to be eaten or hurled at the wall in disgust as you desire.

samuri
    Free Member

Jesus H christ. Kill yourselves. No really, kill yourselves. If you can't remove some simple packaging then you have to question both your contribution to society and your suitability to be allowed out with normal people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Is this the worst product packaging method EVER?’ is closed to new replies.