Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Is this actually racial hatred?
  • RustySpanner

And stop calling religious belief an opinion – it is not the same thing

Well, this is obviously where we differ. I’m happy to continue this debate (probably tomorrow now), but please define the difference.

You’re ‘commenting’ on their freedom of choice. You’re attacking what they believe to be an intrinsic part of themselves. You’re belittling their faith, and by association, them. If you attack Islam, you attack Muslims. If you attack Judaism, you attack Jews. Etc.

Elf, all my beliefs/opinions are an intrisic part of myself as well.
    You can critisise or denegrate them as you see fit. They do not define me as an individual however and are subject to change based upon experience.

Does ‘hate’ get us anywhere?
    Interesting question – completely depends on the circumstances:
    Hatred of inequality certainly leads us to a fairer and more equitable society. As does hatred of poverty, racial & sexual discrimination.

grumm
    Free Member

You cannot discriminate

Unless you are a religious school, in which case discrimination laws seem to be suspended.

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

let’s be honest it doesn’t take a lot to offend someone someware
    this day and age dose it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A religious belief is not an opinion. Go have a read of a dictionary

There is nothing more to debate – you are muddled up and what you are complaining about only exists in your head. It is no crime to hate, ridicule or debate religion. It is no crime to offend the religious. It is a crime to discriminate or incite hatred.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

grum – Member

You cannot discriminate

Unless you are a religious school, in which case discrimination laws seem to be suspended.

They have recently been told to clean their act up on this

Flaperon

What about protesting at wootton bassett we weren’t keen on freedom of expression then iirc.

I thought that was a particularly selfish, thoughtless, stupid, and immoral thing to do – but I defend their right to do it. It is the cornerstone of what I was brought up to believe is right.

It was a sad day that they were blocked by law from going ahead. I’d have had no objection to them trying it and having the shit kicked out of them by the locals of Wooton Bassett, but using the legal system to block protest is the start of a very long and slippery slope.

RustySpanner

A religious belief is not an opinion. Go have a read of a dictionary

Please provide (non theological) evidence. Nothing I read contradicts my point that religious belief IS an opinion.

but using the legal system to block protest is the start of a very long and slippery slope.

Much more eloquent than my original post.

And so to bed.

Happy to continue tomorrow afternoon?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I hate Kylie.

Gimme Dani, she’s hot!

iamhimsoiam
    Free Member

yeah that Aussi b#tch

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It was a sad day that they were blocked by law from going ahead. I’d have had no objection to them trying it and having the shit kicked out of them by the locals of Wooton Bassett,

See, imo, the best response is to just ignore people like that, don’t give them the publicity and attention they crave. When they see that no-one’s listening, then they’ll give up.

Same in this situation really. But the original daftie in America who dreamt up this wonderful idea; why the f did they give him the publicity to begin with?

Because it stirs up emotions and sells newspapers/tv airtime, that’s why.

I hate Kylie!

I’m sure she’s devastated.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

let’s be honest it doesn’t take a lot to offend someone someware
    this day and age dose it.

I’d say society is probably more open and tolerant than it’s ever been, tbh.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there not also an offence of inciting religious hatred? If so, the fact that they were charged with the racial offence rather than the religious one would imply that there’s more to this than is at first evident.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this, but in an attempt to shed some light on molgrip’s post, I’ll just point out that the six are members of the English defence league, which is (possibly) why charges of racism were sought.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s just utter stupidity, boredom or drunkeness. Kinda like posting on stw!

Seriously though, I feel sorry for those people, There is a world out there to learn and explore, and they are burning books? sad, sad, sad.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Only on here looking for the ‘Tollah of Niche and came across this thread.

I have two things to add:

1) I spend my days dealing with some rather upsetting stuff which largely revolves around people who say “do this *amazingly unpleasant / wasteful / nasty thing* because *insert name of invisible friend* said so in a book written thousands of years ago”

and

2) Marcus Brigstock has it spot on:

Sam Harris – The End of Faith is a really good book to read to, definately not in the Dawkins vein but on the same path.

Love each other

SSP

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that Brigstock link [ i assume from radio 4 now show] is spot on.

They do not define me as an individual however and are subject to change based upon experience.

yes but being a Muslim or a Jew etc does define them hence the difference in perception. I would also add it is not affected by experience /reality but I know they would disagree.
    I don’t think they deserve any extra protection than others but the fact is they are often discriminated against for their religious belief’s and quite often by people with other religious beliefs. Thankfully, here at least, they no longer have the power to do the same to atheists.

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Is this actually racial hatred?’ is closed to new replies.