Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is there any reason that Android cannot be put on any phone?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Got an LG running aversion of windows mobile, can it be flattened and flashed with android or is this plain stoooopid?

druidh
    Free Member

Err – the OS has to be capable of supporting the hardware….(or vise versa if you prefer).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I appreciate that but surely their must be some compatibility?

druidh
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member
    I appreciate that but surely their must be some compatibility?

Why must there be?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

because component wise most phones are very similar

minimum RAM requirement for android is about 8mb – the lg has 256mb of ram

philsimm
    Free Member
    psychle
    Free Member

there must be a way, surely? It’s just a mini computer after all, right? I reckon a bit of googling will find ye the answer, maybe try androidcommunity.com?

bassspine
    Free Member

it’s more like trying to run a diesel engine on petrol. The processor may not actually be able to perform the instructions from the operating system

Pieface

Using Google to find out how to run a Google OS

I did leaketh a miner LOL

jam-bo

android is open source. get coding…

Pieface

Open but carrier locked, and on HTC comes with Sense that eats battery life. And Froyo is only available on the Nexus One and Desire… not very Linux

Cougar

I want to play PS3 games on my Xbox. Can I wipe the Xbox and install the Sony OS? They’re both basically consoles, right?

Rich
    Free Member

I did it and it worked fine apart from the battery would flatten in a couple of hours, so I reflashed it with a custom WM6.5 rom, it’s worked great ever since.

IA

The only reason it might be possible (assuming as above the hardware is supported, and that’s another kettle of fish) is if someone’s managed to crack the bootloader to run 3rd party code.

Think about this for a moment, If you’re making a phone, or any computer, do you want any old code to be able to subvert the very inner workings of the device? Obviously not, so they’re nearly always locked down and require exploits (the same as any virus etc) to get unauthorised code executing.

DrP

Yup, can be done.
    I’ve an old WM6 htc that sometimes (for no good reason as it’s real slow!) i run android on. A friend who is geekier than I often runs android on a WM phone. Linux is involved (well, that penguin comes up…)

DrP

PeteG55
    Free Member

http://www.xda-developers.com/
    A lot of help there. Theres a big group ironing out the bugs of converting a HTC HD2 winmo to run android. Probably best starting point.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is there any reason that Android cannot be put on any phone?’ is closed to new replies.