• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • is the world more dangerous now?
  • legend76
    Free Member

or do the press just have everyone terrified?

chewkw
    Free Member

Same as before but if you do not apply common sense then more dangerous.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Personally I think that on a micro scale it is, that being local to home or within a particular suburb or area overseas.
    On a global scale. No.
    Nuclear winters aren't talked about much, large-scale famine (whilst still going on) doesn't appear to be as bad. There are other big stories that I remember from my childhood, but these days it's either in Baghdad (or another city down there) or other local areas.

But then I read the press so what do I know…

seven
    Free Member

bang

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Murder is at a 20 yr low in the UK.

odannyboy
    Free Member

we all just think its more dangerous..

Drac

It's deadly now what with this Swine Flu Pandemic wiping out the world, Super Bugs killing is all and not to mention Aids.

igm

I heard the swine flu would kill the superbugs…

To the original question – no, not really. The press have always had everyone worked up (cold war, AIDS, BSE, whatever panic of the week), and governments profit from "protecting" a scared population (see 1984). NOT FACT – OPINION

duntmatter
    Free Member

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Like TandemJeremy says, murder rates are at an all time low (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/16/crime-figures-recession-impact), but the filthy tabloid rags paint the picture of there being a paedo in every bush, muslim terrorists in every mosque, every teengagers a violent thug, etc. etc.. They'll also tell you that the figures have been diddled to make them look better etc. I'm not saying turn a blind eye to the atrocities in the world, but take it with a pinch of salt. When people like Jordan can make the front page it makes you wonder where their priorities lie. Factual news or sensationalist crap?

hainey
    Free Member

I agree with whats said above, i think the world is a safer place and i think the press have us quaking in our boots because fear sells.

AndyP
    Free Member

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
    With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
    There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
    It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A 14, a 7, a 9 and lychees?

takisawa2

People have less patience these days.

Drac

The world today seems absolutely crackers,
    With nuclear bombs to blow us all sky high.
    There's fools and idiots sitting on the trigger.
    It's depressing and it's senseless, and that's why…

I think someone needs a shag.

legend76
    Free Member

benji allen i also agree with you opinion. spot on mate.

epicyclo

When Jordan appears on the front page, that's actually good news because it means there's nothing more sensational to put there. It's also a good warning not to buy that paper – it's not going to get any better inside.

As for the fools & idiots on the trigger of the nuclear bombs, I was more worried about Kennedy than anyone since.

Drac

As for the fools & idiots on the trigger of the nuclear bombs, I was more worried about Kennedy than anyone since.

Regan for me, not old enough for Kennedy who by all accounts was close a few times if stories are true.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Take a bow AndyP and Captain Flash 😀

Drac, methinks you need to place an order at your local Chinese and discover just how polite the waiters are.

Kennedy got some of the biggest missiles EVER launched, fortunately they fell to bits on their way to the moon.

tinsy
    Free Member

I think it was a lot more dangerous in 1939-45..

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think someone needs a shag.

Monty Python is amazing, and love of it in no way precludes regular sexual intercourse.

Drac

Drac, methinks you need to place an order at your local Chinese and discover just how polite the waiters are.

Ay?

Oh I've been had didn't realise it was a Monty Python reference, I was never a student that lay around watching Monty Python videos then complain they didn't have time to do course work.

corroded
    Free Member

When people like Jordan can make the front page it makes you wonder where their priorities lie

Their priorities lie in selling as many copies as possible (more so than ever these days, when every click counts). Don't blame the papers, blame the public. Most journalists and editors would much rather report a proper investigative piece than another story about Jordan's underwear shortage.

AndyP
    Free Member

I was never a student that lay around watching Monty Python videos then complain they didn't have time to do course work.
    well, quite. I didn't even know anyone who had a TV, let alone a video, when I was a student

Drac

well, quite. I didn't even know anyone who had a TV, let alone a video, when I was a student

Did you go to Scumbag College?

woffle
    Free Member

it would seem so – apparently uk bikes kill?

(or is only me who reads that on the ad up ^^)

AndyP
    Free Member

Did you go to Scumbag College?
    far from it. Footlights College, Oxbridge. Daddy's got a porsche.

Coyote
    Free Member

News runs 24 hours and need stuff to fill the time. It also needs to be short and snappy to cope with limited attention spans.

Do I think the world is a more dangerous place today? No. Simple. I'm in my extremely late thirties (thirty thirteen to be exact) and originate from Wigan. I can remember running battles every Sunday night in Wigan town centre. Coming out of the Banshee in Manchester on a Saturday night I remember seeing fights all down Oxford Road. The eighties were a great time if you're a fan of nuclear standoff between two super-powers. Again, media hyping up the threat of Armageddon. As TJ says, murder rate in the UK is down however murder and violent crime fills the airwaves because they need the ratings. I remember in the mid eighties there was a spate of vicious attacks on pensioners in their own homes, one was murdered. This happened in Standish, it made the regional news. It didn't get national coverage although I think it would now.

Bit of a ramble down memory lane, so to summarise; do we live in a more violent world? I don't think so. Does the news media whip stuff up into a frenzy with the net result that some folks live in fear? Undoubtably yes.

Drac

far from it. Footlights College, Oxbridge. Daddy's got a porsche.

Hehehe! Well remembered.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘is the world more dangerous now?’ is closed to new replies.