Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is the Nokia 5800 any good?
  • wl
    Free Member

Is this phone up to it? I'll mainly use it as a phone (there's a surprise) and to check webmail. Ta v much.

rs
    Free Member

I have one, its decent, its no iphone but its a good phone, great battery, good gps for tracking and navigation, plays music, download opera mini as a web browser and you'll be sorted.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

mine is ok. as above really, although mine sometimes has difficulty recognising SIM contacts, and ocasionally the SIM itself…

but on the whole, happy with it.

wl
    Free Member

Ta. I don't want an 18-month contract or to shell out £450 for an iphone not on a contract. So a £20 O2 rolling contract and a 5800 is a good (and far more affordable) alternative.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's good, does almost everything an iPhone does but at a fraction of the cost.

Fantastic value for money I reckon. Very ahppy with mine.

rs
    Free Member

Thats why I got it too, I bought mine sim free and use it on pay as you go. I think in terms of cheap but good phone it works well.

headfirst
    Free Member

the free sat nav works a treat!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

the free sat nav works a treat!

mine doesn't 🙁

i've updates the software as much as i can, and then downloaded the OVI maps thing – it won't show maps at all now.
    it used to, but i thought i needed to update it 🙁

rs
    Free Member

have you reloaded the maps?

joebickley
    Free Member

Got one as a work phone – its quite probably the worst phone i have ever owned!
    The functions and menus etc are ok but the touch screen is just awful. Maybe i just have fat fingers but its so imprecise that you have no choice but to use the stylus and that has a result of making you look like a dork 🙂
    If its touch screen you want, Im not sure if any of the Andriod phones are anywhere near affordable yet but they are brilliant and cost less than an iPhone.
    Otherwise i would avoid cheap touch screens and stick with a solid phone with buttons.

IA

You probably need to reload the maps using maploader on your PC.

As above, decent phone. Not the best, but not the most expensive, by a long shot!

Ovi maps for free is ace. Also a big fan of moodagent (google it) and mobbler (For last.fm).

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Ive just got what is touted as the replacement for the 5800 – the Nokia X6. Better touch screen, 5mp camera, Sat Nav and 16gb memory. Impressed so far, and works out and more than 50% cheaper than running an iphone over 18 months.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a good as a phone and works well as a gps/mapping tool, too. Quite a few free apps. You need inclusive data to get the most from it. Screen isn't that responsive but its OK and it does work with gloves on.

firestarter
    Free Member

hungry monkey if you uninstall nokia maps and ovi software then look in your memory for a file called cities and delete that. Then reinstall ovi navigation then install the maps with map loader and it should work.

stevious

It's a bit mince for browsing the web an the touchscreen is a bit unresponsive.

Some good apps for it, and good battery life though.

rs
    Free Member

It's a bit mince for browsing the web

have you tried opera mobile, i almost find it better than my ipod touch for web browsing, particularly this site, just seems to fit better on the screen.

Bez

It's a great phone. Internet works great over both wifi and 3G, especially with Opera Mobile 10 and some apps like GMail, Google Maps, Skype etc. Ovi maps is great, the awesome Viewranger is available for it as well. Good as a phone – decent hands-free too. 3.5mm headphone jack is very useful.

Touch screen works great IMO – no issues with precision at all – having slight fingernails helps I guess. Trying to use it with just fat finger ends probably won't be massively enjoyable. And unlike the iPhone screen you can use it with gloves or through a ziplock back which makes it great for using in foul weather. Also wins over the iPhone in other ways, like being able to carry a spare battery or even fit a higher-capacity one, so you can use it on a weekend away without nannying the power, and of course it supports Flash and Java.

Also works fantastically as an iPlayer device.

Gordy
    Free Member

I'm still quietly stunned at how much you get for your money with the 5800. It is to function what the iPhone is to form.

rs
    Free Member

i've just realised its the on-one of the smartphone world 🙂

Carpediem
    Free Member

Does what it say's on the can.

Great phone.You'll love it!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Have a look at the HTC Desire … it's the phone I'm about to replace my 2 year old N95 with.

firestarter
    Free Member

i use skyfire to browse

molgrips
    Free Member

I used iPlayer the other day to watch my choice of tv whilst in the gym at the hotel – using the hotel wifi. Sweet 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is the Nokia 5800 any good?’ is closed to new replies.