• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is the Forekaster the new Beaver?
  • dawson

Don’t seem to be able to get 29*2.2 Beavers any more.

The Forekaster is described on the Maxxis website as being suitable for mud.

Does anybody have experience of both tyres that can share a comparison?

jam-bo

Good tyre. Probably not quite as spiky as a beaver but good allrounder. Been running one on the front all ‘summer’, was running a pair last winter but will go for shorty front, forekaster rear this winter.

dawson

Cheers, do they still roll reasonably well?

Clink

Hope not, Beaver 2.2 was a great all-round winter tyre on my hardtail.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think they are crap but then each to their own . The forecaster I mean

scruff
    Free Member

I looked at them but the knobs are tiny, more of a fast wet tyre rather than grippy up a slow muddy bank wet tyre maybe.

Vortexracing

I tried to get a pair of 2.2″ in 29″ flavour, but could only get one. I have ended up with that on the back and a 2.3″ Shorty on the front. Only had one ride so far, seemed ok but I did have a couple of moments on some wet rock with the Shorty, which I didn’t expect. I’ll leave it on and keep trying it, but like you OP, I really liked my Beavers on my 26″ bike. I hope they bring them back.

dawson

Hmm, any other suggestions for tyres similar to Beavers?

I.e

29*2.2, cross country tyre, rolls well on harder stuff, but OK in mud

Probably moon on a stick, but the above describes how Beaver worked for my riding

russl
    Free Member

I went from Beavers to Specialized storm control, well happy with them, I ride a 29 HT cross country.

dawson

Thanks, will look at them

Kryton57

I went from Beavers to Specialized storm control, well happy with them, I ride a 29 HT cross country.

I raced Storm Control / Rocket Ron F/R last year in Southern soil and considere it a success. Next weekend is seasonal tubeless tyre change weekend back to that combo

scotroutes

Bontrager XR4 Team is my mud tyre of choice. It’s a compromise thgat saves me fainting around with tyre changes depending on the weather.

a11y

Vortexracing – Member
    I tried to get a pair of 2.2″ in 29″ flavour, but could only get one. I have ended up with that on the back and a 2.3″ Shorty on the front. Only had one ride so far, seemed ok but I did have a couple of moments on some wet rock with the Shorty, which I didn’t expect. I’ll leave it on and keep trying it, but like you OP, I really liked my Beavers on my 26″ bike. I hope they bring them back.

Shorty front and Beaver rear is a great combo IME. I started off with 29×2.2″ Beavers front and back but found the Beaver lacking bite on the front. Paired with a 3C 2.3″ Shorty on the front it’s ideal for winter use. Noticed that too about rocks but effectiveness everywhere else more than makes up for that.

Reminds me I’m still on my ‘summer’ DHF/Ardent combo and really wish I’d swapped them over already 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is the Forekaster the new Beaver?’ is closed to new replies.