Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is Strava changing our trails?
  • thepurist

I was discussing this over the weekend – I’m seeing more and more cheeky little shortcut lines appearing all over the place. That sort of thing usually happened over the winter when there was a particularly muddy or rooty section that people wanted to avoid, but even though it’s been a bit damp lately thse shortcuts aren’t in that sort of position.

I’m seeing S-bend sections being straightlined, slower more line-critical sections diverted around, even new lines appearing inside wide corners. None of the diverted parts are particulary hard to ride, just a bit slower than taking the shorter/straighter line.

Is this just the result of more & more people riding the same area and these lines developing more quickly than in the past, or is it people chasing a time on Strava trying to chop out a few seconds without straying too far off the ‘official’ route? Or am I just a grumpy old man who doesn’t like change?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Dump a rock or log in the way.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Is Strava changing our trails? Yes!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope see last weeks thread….

It’s been going on for years, have a look back at the Marin at Betws some section had no recognisable corners on back in the days GPS was only fitted to cruise missiles.

Poor trail design and edge marking leads to shortcuts on made trail (and bad riding)

Also see the dirt school dvd on Corner Cutting Line

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is just the start; I’m not sure how long Strava has been around or in use by mountain bikers, but it’s not that long and so whatever impact it’s had in a short space of time will be the tip of the iceberg.

I’ve seen it happening as well and I’ve seen other trends like people using bells on their bike to warn people to get out of their way if they’re on a flying lap.

I like some of the benefits of Strava, such as the ability to monitor your own performance. But the ‘every ride’s a race’ one is something that’s only going to cause chaos and I think it will have a detrimental effect on mountain biking.

I’d like to make the argument that if you want to find out how good you are against others, that’s what races are for and of course no one is forcing you to take up with Strava. But you will still feel the impact from those around you.

mrmo
    Free Member

course not, people have always cut corners, trying to make the trail “faster” without figuring out the trail is the one they are ruining!

muddyground
    Free Member

Quite possibly, yes. But then every single new thing that comes along changes the trails. 20 years ago you’d rarely see a bike off road, now? Lots of developments have led to more creative line choices; disc brakes, slack head angles and big suspension, so Strava is just adding into the mix. But I do sense that over the past year or so trail development has really moved on, and I’ve never seen so many cheeky new trails emerge in such a short space of time. I don’t think this is all down to Strava as some of the newer lines around here in Surrey are more to do with slack frame angles than anything else. Just look at the sudden rash of injuries being posted up through people just trying to compete with their bikes ability. But also there are an awful lot of really dull posts stating how somebody has shaved half a sec of their previous best time – so you may be correct with the lazy line choices being made.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s strange to think that we only started trying to go faster in the last 6 months or so. I’ve been racing my mates down trail since I first got a bike.

I also try and ride the trail in front of me.

Having seen whinlatter from virtually when it was opened through to last year, the trail has “evolved” some sections have been straight lined but the mostly seems to be due to them not being able to make the real lines. As the trail is repaired then it has better edging.

MrAgreeable

I’ve been involved in trail maintenance locally for about 8 years now and can confirm that straightlining is nothing new. Fine if you’re racing on a DH track between two bits of tape, annoying if you’re turning someone’s nicely bermed or switchbacked trail into a brainless rut.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s strange to think that we only started trying to go faster in the last 6 months or so. I’ve been racing my mates down trail since I first got a bike.

Ah now there’s the key difference between what we’ve always been doing and what’s happening now.

If you’re racing your mates, your mates can see if you cheat on a line and you fool no one but yourself.

But with Strava your line is anonymous hence there is more temptation to ‘cheat’.

Trimix
    Free Member

The internet itself has had an effect – the massive increase of riders to good/certain trails that are mentioned, shared and mapped online has had a noticeable affect in my local area.

I dont think you can stop it though, but using the same tool you can educate riders to improve the impact. ie. logs to stop corners being cut.

We both benefit and suffer, its up to us to improve and educate.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 options:

a) set up motion sensing mini-guns on the apex of every corner, cut inside the corner and you an your bike look like one of those skeletal frames.

b) build steeper trails, works here as the trail uilders have a hard-on for fall lines and sphincter clenching transitions to the fire roads and rather than moan about errosion just cut another trail which mean there’s always a fresh un-erroded trail somewhere.

Maybe it’ll become less of an issue once most trails have got really fast runs on them. Surely poeple will be less bothered about a top 25 than they are about a top 3.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d put it down to an increase in people riding, and a shift in priorities from just being out riding to dominating the trail with a £5k rig. Round this way there’s a lot of alternate lines being made, not to avoid techy sections or because the diversion offers anything, and it just looks tatty. It’s called singletrack for a reason, keep it neat.

wwaswas

Straight lining has always gone on.

the problem now is that people are upset about losing their KOM’s to perceived ‘cheats’ and come on stw to complain about it 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think people are overestimating the relevance to Strava in all this. Out of all the regular people I ride with, im the only one using Strava. Im KOM on quite a few climbs locally, because no-one else has ridden them. I know others ride them, because I see the tyre tracks.
    The straightlining is probably just lazy riding.

Blacklug
    Free Member

strava is a flash in the pan imo … Its being given too much relevence on here.
    Most will stop using it when the proper fast guys push their times below the top 20.
    And how long before we see times with the help of a 2stroke engine?

The mtb trails my crowd use are strava-free. And will remain so. Another reason for trail secrecy.

messiah
    Free Member

It’s always been thus… straightlining is the way riders without skillz go faster… those with the skillz ride the trail as it was intended and become better riders :mrgreen:

yunki
    Free Member

Blacklug – Member

The mtb trails my crowd use are strava-free. And will remain so. Another reason for trail secrecy.

hmm..

Blacklug.. could be a reference to Black Lugworm, indicating an angler, someone living on the coast perhaps..?
    And Black Lug is quite a specific bait.. perhaps a Cod or flattie angler.. but they would have a username like Cod-eye MacFadden or err… flattieboomboom.. so I’m sensing a seasoned Wrasseticulator..
    Now Wrasse are a rock and reef dwelling creature, or perhaps pier and harbour.. but you’d need to dig your worm from an estuary..

hmm.. that narrows it down.. am I warm yet..?

or have you just got a dirty ear..?

wwaswas

or a nice frame with black lugs on it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the trail as it was intended

Playing devils advocate:

Depends, surely most trails started off as footpaths, in which case they probably only had corners as walkers can’t cope with steep gradients as well as bikes, so why stick to their limitations?

On another note, I doubt it’s Strava, last winter everyone complained about lazy people riding arround puddles/muddy bits/technical bits as they’re lazy, this winter we’re complaining about people riding round the same bits because they’re going quicker. The common theme is complainng about other peole riding, it’s always someone else fault. Are you sure you’re not just imagining justifications for it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought the straight lines were there as a means to overtake the meandering bimblers without disturbing them too much 😀

loum
    Free Member

Strava Don’t Kill Trails, Riders Do

thepurist

Thinking about it, if I’m so good at noticing all these shortcut lines then maybe I should sign myself up to Strava and make use of them to post some top times (yeah right!).

Blacklug
    Free Member

yunki – Member

hmm..

Blacklug.. could be a reference to Black Lugworm, indicating an angler, someone living on the coast perhaps..?
    And Black Lug is quite a specific bait.. perhaps a Cod or flattie angler.. but they would have a username like Cod-eye MacFadden or err… flattieboomboom.. so I’m sensing a seasoned Wrasseticulator..
    Now Wrasse are a rock and reef dwelling creature, or perhaps pier and harbour.. but you’d need to dig your worm from an estuary..

hmm.. that narrows it down.. am I warm yet..?

or have you just got a dirty ear..?

Ahhh!
    I shall never reveal my secret trails 😀

Blacklug is a reference to my early days of trailbuilding actually. I thought for a long time it refered to the amount of dirt I managed to get in my ears. Early days of enthusiastic trail building.
    Then was let in on my less than competent technique 😥

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is Strava changing our trails?’ is closed to new replies.