Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Is my frame a write off?? (pics included)
  • dandan
    Free Member

Smased hard into a tree today, concerned that this dent is in a place which is under constant stress? (bike is 2 weeks old) 🙁

Do you think that this frame will be weakened now?

uplink
    Free Member

I’d ride that – no worries

dandan
    Free Member

Hope your right bud! love this new bike

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I would say fine, check that it is not fouling your steerer tube though (looks unlikely).

richmars

Just check the head bearings aren’t binding because they’re not parallel to each other (due to the dent).

dandan
    Free Member

I kept on riding for a further 3 hours or so after the crash. It is steering fine, headset still feels super smooth etc.

bol

That’s bad luck. I think you should get someone who knows what they’re doing to have a good look at the bike. The dent to the head tube might just be the damage you can see. On it’s own it might not necessarily mean the frame is knackered though if there are no cracks and it isn’t fouling the steerer. I wouldn’t suggest you ride it until you’ve had it checked though.

dandan
    Free Member

sorry what does fouling the steerer mean?

I have checked for cracks and there isnt any

bruneep

Insurance?

dandan
    Free Member

no

KINGTUT
    Free Member

sorry what does fouling the steerer mean?

Sorry my bad spelling, make sure that the dent isn’t causing the inside of the head tube to rub against the steerer tube.

jenbe
    Free Member

is it insured? thats a write off!

dandan
    Free Member

jenbe.. your the only person out of about 30 who thinks it is a write off, why do you think so mate?

radoggair
    Free Member

aluminium frame? get a carbon, problem solved 🙂

jenbe
    Free Member

jenbe.. your the only person out of about 30 who thinks it is a write off, why do you think so mate?

it look dented, i take it the alloy tube has been crushed(mite be my eyes though, if its dented in such a place i wouldnt ride it, it could just split open at any time…if it ant dented or stressed it will be fine

bruneep

Contact your giant dealer and see what they say about a crash warranty replacement, the Internet has conflicting stories about success rates.

You’ve nothing to lose by making contact.

steveh

I’d not be too worried about that, it’s not in a highly stressed location.

easyrider
    Free Member

That’s f’all. You could get it repaired if Giant will not help : try Argos cycles if you are in Bristol area. That area is not so stressed either, the main stresses on a frame are the down tube behind the headtube (that is why they are heavily reinforced in that area).

Joe

I think it will be fine. Carry on riding it and don’t worry about it.

dandan
    Free Member

thanks guys feel a bit better now

how could it be repaired?

br
    Free Member

But before you ride it, take out the forks and look inside.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

thanks guys feel a bit better now

how could it be repaired?

Filler and re-spray, don’t bother though it was scarred in action.

Tis a war wound, wear it with pride.

dandan
    Free Member

hahaha 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

if it doe snot foul the steerer i would ride it and see about replacement/warranty. filler will be a cosmetic repair not an actual repair.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Looks fine to me.
    If you get an LBS to look at it chances are you’ll tell you it’s shagged just to cover there arses.
    If the headtube splits i’ll eat my hat and i have a very big head 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d drop the forks and cups out. Get some light down there and look for creases or cracking. It’s unlikely to have upset the tube faces but I’d be tempted to get the head tube skimmed just to check and give a bit of piece of mind. If it passes all that, don’t worry about it.

sinaisinner
    Free Member

I agree with the general consensus. Seems to be in a non stress point, but the key is making sure that the two faces for the headset are straight and that the fork steerer tube is still straight too.

I also think that it’s a fantastic war wound. How the hell did you hit a tree that hard, literally “head on” and then still retain the ability to type?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’d ride it too and regard it as “wear and tear” . It looks a very shallow dent in the pics and not of a depth that will affect the structure or pull the bearing faces out of parrallel. It’s difficult to ream and face a headtube that uses a semi integrated headset – not sure it can be done. If the headset still runs smooth all the way round, it’s probably ok. I’d have a very close look around all the headtube/downtube/toptube junction welds though. A crash hard enough to dent the thick tube walls of the headtube must transfer energy to other areas too.

dandan
    Free Member

It was a really freak accident, I had my arse right over the back of the seat going down a 2ft rooty drop, next thing I come off the back off the bike and the bike goes away from me a great speed all by its self!! (we call that a ghosty were I am from)… there is a fallen tree across the trail and my bike smashes right into the tree that was at the exact height of the headtube.. ie the front wheel went under it at great speed and whack the dent occured!

Gutted as its 2 weeks old and fully custom build, but if its only cosmetic Im not bothered, this is the sport we do and this is part of the sport right?

Saccades
    Free Member

That’s dangerous and not safe to ride at all – I’ll buy it off you for a fiver for use as a.. er… wall art, yes wall art!

A fiver – will save your life!

😉

mrmo
    Free Member

rode a bike with a bigger dent in the downtube for a few years, I won’t say it won’t fail, but i personnally would ride that. Just keep an eye on it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my Pitch for nearly a year with worse damage than that on the seat stay. And I’ve just noticed it’s got a few smaller rock strike dings under the down tube as well.

It’ll be fine. Get on with it! 🙂

Northwind

I’d replace that for sure, it’s ugly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

one thread..so much shiite

trout
    Free Member

Only the bikes weight hitting the tree so no rider weight ride it and dont worry check round the welds every now and then

I would be surprised if it fails
    but then so will you 😈

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Is my frame a write off?? (pics included)’ is closed to new replies.