• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is it worth upgrading to maxle??
  • donks
    Free Member

I'm thinking of upgrading from a Revelation 130mm fork (standard) to one of the maxle range (probably Reba 120mm) but before I take the plunge and part with a wedge of cash for the fork and new front wheel what's the general opinions on the system.

Worth it generally (say Cannock chase trails) or does it only make a difference in the most extreme riding conditions?

brooess
    Free Member

I went from Pace RC40s (superstiff but still QR) to 140mm Pikes with 20mm and was very happy with the result
    a) no worries about front wheel popping out
    b) much easier to get through roots and gnarly rocks. Less squirrelly and bike goes where you point it
    c) overall I feel more in control and relaxed

docrobster
    Free Member

I have maxle pikes and qr 130mm toras on my bikes. You can feel that the pikes flex less than the toras but it doesn't stop me riding them in exactly the same places and exactly the same way. (Dark peak mainly)
    Just got some 140mm revs to replace the toras. These are QR. Not worried that my wheel will fall off.
    QR fine for Cannock (I imagine, never been)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can't say I notice a huge amount of difference, certianly wouldn't be changing everything, v. costly.

And I really don't get the whole "wheel falling off thing", never happened to me on lipped forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think it's great, and the Reba Team with maxle is an amazing fork. Stiff, brilliant damping and only weighs 3.5lbs!

I feel the benefit riding with one in the local woods – so extreme conditions are not a necessity – anywhere that's bumpy you'll notice the difference.

I'm selling a 2009 Reba Team w/maxle in mint condition, email if interested. Could have a spare 20mm front wheel too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me its mainly about the security of the wheel. no disadvantages compared to a QR and advantages of increased stiffness / security

I prefer a proper bolt up axle to a maxle tho

Northwind

Difference is trivial, I can see it could be more worthy with a bendy fork like an old Fox or similiar, or where they're using the structural axle to make the rest of the fork lighter but I went from QR revelations to maxle ones then back again and the difference was so small I stopped noticing it after about 10 minutes each time.

Wouldn't say you should avoid it either but some people'll tell you it's an enormous difference, if they do find out what the point of comparison is. Heard this on Bikeradar, "I replaced my old Sids with a Maxle Reba and it's miles stiffer", for example.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just more ways to part you of some cash. The difference is not worth the cash outlay IMO. Same goes for os bars, 25.4 never let me down and I am bigger than 95% of people on here.

Having said that, if like many on here you seem to have more money than sense then why not…?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A question concerning 20mm maxle forks/wheels if i may?

I have 140mm Pikes with said maxle & sun ringle hubs. I have had the wheel come loose twice now although i appear to be following the instructions properly.
    What am i doing wrong?

br
    Free Member

I've a pair of the Reba maxles, feel stiff and secure.

But now you can get 140mm Revs or Thors for the same weight – so depends on frame.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth upgrading to maxle??’ is closed to new replies.