Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Is it time for 'What lights?'….
  • boblo
    Free Member

Autumn round the corner What are people using, what’s good and what’s not?

Kryton57

1200 lumens available for £24 at Deal Extreme ATM….

Dancake
    Free Member

here is on of those DX jobs. Very nice but not much spread,

I have stuck a “flood” lense in my old P7 unit which gives some nice illumination near the bike…

100_2816 by Dancake2010, on Flickr

the 2 worked well together. Will try the new one on my helmet next

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Depends what you’re doing. I’ve got a Hope Vision One. Powerful enough for group night rides in the woods and lasts long enough to get you home.

nick3216
    Free Member

Blackburn Voyager 3.3
    Used it overnight at Mayhem as a main light.

andrewh
    Free Member

http://www.full-beam.com/index.html

Not quite twice as bright as a SixPack

tomaso
    Free Member

I’m running Hope2s as spares with a Deal Extreme XML £30 jobbie as above on the bars and a chinese torch also with XML led on my helmet and its plenty enough for Lakeland night rides.

cakefacesmallblock

DX (allegedly) 1200lum jobbie, on the bike , with a Petzl headtorch on the lid. Works for me. Fine at 9.30pm in the woods last week, fire road stuff on low power, just up to max for the s/track.

OCB
    Free Member

Fenix L2D or LD20 (depends which one isn’t being used elsewhere at the time), with Fenix MC10 on my helmet – fine on the road, but I need more light for popping down the woods, and I’m very tempted to add an Exposure Diablo Mk3 for that. I pretty much always have a Knog ‘frog’ F-light on the bike too for use in town / as an addition / emergency visibility aid – like in yesterdays foggy lunchtime ride!

Blackburn Mars 4 and a Knog ‘gekko’ on the back. Blackburn on my helmet, Knog on the seatpost (an’ used the same was as the front Knog). There’s usually my red glo-toob FX or some other kinda basic back light on my bag too.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mini hijack but can people recommend a good deal extreme (or similar price range) combo, head and bars, not looking at spending mega bucks. Only ever done night riding on the road so have no idea.

@Kryton57, do you have a link to that light please, so many on the DX site having trouble finding.

hopefiendboy

^^as per TheBrick

😉

bigjim
    martymac

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734
    just ordered one of these, 29.94 posted.i will update when i get it.
    its 1200 lumens claimed.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

Exposure Enduro Maxx (720) on the bars with an Exposure Diablo (900) on my lid.

Plenty!

jonnyrockymountain

Vision 4 on bars and vision 2 on helmet spot on for me

ruscle
    Free Member

Goldigger tripple cute on the bars (2960) Goldigger mini cute on the lid (1300) just about lights my way!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ay-Up Pair Lid and Bar combo, great lights weigh 55g each and work well.
    4hrs from the 3 hr battery and 7/8 from the 6hr. Great value and now have a UK wharehouse.

stoney
    Free Member

Trout lighs all the way for me…I run a Liberater (1700 actual lumens)on the bar and the 825 lumen Tiger Light up top. However…I might start running the Tiger for road night time and get another one of Trouties to take it`s place for the stupid off road stuff. 😆

Depends on what i recon to the 2 demo prototype lights i`ll try this week. His Spider Eyes and the Cutie…….

Shuld be close to 4000 lumens….. 😯

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/riding-trouts-cutie

cabbage84
    Free Member

AYUPS here aswell brilliant light set and now with the option of 40% brighter. Not sure about uk warehouse my set last week came from Australia

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Exposure MaxX D Mk IV here…

grtdkad

+1 for the Troute Liberator 3.0 here combined with an endurance battery off smudge. Quite literally lasts for days!

On my head I have a Cateye Double Shot Pro – good but starting to feel a bit dated with Troute power on the bars.

colin27
    Free Member

The new Hope R4 looks great. And comes with Hope reliability and service – winner.

ruscle
    Free Member

You should all look at Goldigger’s lights as he produces lights like Trouties but for less money and that very niche appeal as well. He did post info on this forum and you can view his work on mtbr forum in the diy lights section. A 2960 lumen bar light (tripple cute) cost £215 with smudges batteries, well worth the money as produces a massive flood completely lighting up the trail all in front of you, I leave my friends for dead at nights and they can’t compete.

aftershock
    Free Member

The new Hope 8’s are supposed to be 2000 Lumen 😯

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m running a Smudge XML unit on the bars and a Cateye Twinshot on the lid. Plenty for riding woods at night.

Northwind

Not quite sure what I’ll be using out of my bag-o-cheap-lights this winter. Got an XML DX light and also an XML torch, and 2 P7 torches, and a 4-battery pack for one of the torches.

The XML’s have an odd light pattern, very bright spot but also a strong wider beam, which actually gives better light everywhere than my P7s but I think might not work quite as well since the wider beam, though bright, seems less bright by contrast with the central spot. The P7s more even, weaker light is easier to ride by at lower speeds but then they lack the throw of the XML.

So I’m thinking probably a P7 torch on the bars and maybe the XML torch as well, and the XML bike light on the helmet. (the XML torch is bulky and a little bit heavy for head use). That’s much more light than I need of course but it’s hard to find a reason not to do it.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just about to try one of Troutie’s mini’s on my helmet (no sniggering!) tonight. I’ll keep my old 2007 USE Enduro Turbo on the bars, but I think the Mini will become the light that actually lights the way as it were. Looking forward to it.

yunki
    Free Member

Just ordered a £30 deal extreme xml for use as a helmet light..

I’ll possibly back it up with one of those new xpg 4 jobbies on the bars later down the line if neccessary..

rOcKeTdOg

Liberator is more than enough

bring on the night by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member

Here is a home brew lighting setup form the past. Just checked my build and they still work :-).

I’ll sort out some better pix soon.

http://www.mtbarena.com/2011/09/nights-drawing-build-recession-beating-mountain-bike-lights/

Apologies for brad ends, it was 2003.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shuld be close to 4000 lumens…..

Packing my lights away now! One for the whole group

grantus
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone uses the lights that Torchy the Battery Boy sells?

I see his torches with handlebar mounts for £15. Any good for offroad?

Was thinking of getting two of them with the added benefit of having them for use as torches if I need them rather than the purely bike specific type available on DX and luminous off here. Those DX £30 efforts look too good to be true at that price. What I don’t want to do is get something that works for a few weeks then the battery gives out or the internals suffer after a few rough rides or some rain. DIY electronic repairs may be ok for some gifted people but not me.

Sorry, I was going to post a new thread but a search shows dozens of these types of thread!

I reckon the torches would probably be ok – I was using Smart Halogen lights last year so I suppose anything would be an improvement.

Cheers

iainc

if you want something that’s going to last maybe look at Trout/Lumnious, or even some of the secondhand stuff on classifieds. there is a Toro, a 6 Pack and my Hope 4 all up for grabs 😆

grantus
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion but lights are something I wouldn’t go for secondhand to be honest.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Whats the lowest Lumens that is rideable? Because you see all these 1000+ lumens lights can I get away with a 500 lumen one?

bigjim

yes of course, you’ll have plenty fun with 500 lumens, you can get by fine on less, and there is an awful lot of willy waving/compensation when it comes to lumens.

jam-bo

can I get away with a 500 lumen one?

Yes. Until someone with a 1000 lumen light rides up behind you.

winterfold
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    can I get away with a 500 lumen one?
    Yes. Until someone with a 1000 lumen light rides up behind you.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

He’s not wrong

I have a joystick and whiteeye and its plenty – until someone with maxx D or similar comes up behind then the bit of trail you most want to see goes dark

If you’re riding in a group then it’s an arms race

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a Hope 4 LED but I’m looking to buy a new helmet light to go with it and will probably go for one of the 1,200 or 1,700 lumen offerings from Four4th. A couple of the lads I ride with use them and they seem to be pretty good. Four4th

Taff
    Free Member

Although I may be able to make redthunders light I’m also after something that would be decent mainly for the road bike. Is the general consensus then to go for for smudge’s [Is this him?]light as a single decent unit? I may well build another and have one on the helmet in the future but just want something for now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Is it time for 'What lights?'….’ is closed to new replies.