Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Is it a crime to be ugly?
  • DrJ
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think I might have seen uglier. Although to be honest I don’t normally pay much attention to the handsomebility of people in news stories. As a consequence I rarely feel disappointed on that score.

eth3er
    Free Member

Your definition of ugly needs work.

billybob
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juO__ngKpis[/video]

yossarian
    Free Member

4 years? Did the disorder actually take place? Whilst not condoning it, does it not seem a trifle excessive?

fourbanger
    Free Member

This is wrong.

Nobby

The sections of the Serious Crime Act that these two were convicted under allow the judge to pass sentence as if they had actually committed the offences they were inciting/encouraging.

Clearly this was an exemmplary case to ‘send out a message’ as no actual disorder occurred.

donsimon
    Free Member

4 years? Did the disorder actually take place? Whilst not condoning it, does it not seem a trifle excessive?

I don’t think either they or others will be inciting any riots in the near future though.

konabunny
    Free Member

What a ludicrous, mental waste of money. The judge has sentenced these two 21/22 year olds (who, I’m sure, are complete morons) to four years imprisonment. Even assuming they only serve half, that’s still going to cost taxpayers about 180 grand (45 grand per year x 2 – see http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/02/offenders-serious-crimes-criminal-justice-revolution ) – leaving aside the fact that if they were outside and earning, they’d be paying tax, and that once they’ve been in prison for that long their chances of being gainfully employed in the future are much lower.

Christ, if it were that easy to get even 18 grand for a keep-the-youth-off-the-streets-and-stop-the-little-scrotes-making-trouble scheme there wouldn’t have been any riots in the first place.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t think either they or others will be inciting any riots in the near future though.

Well since they failed to incite any riots this time round, I think that’s probably a fair assumption.

“Jordan Blackshaw, 20, set up an “event” called Smash Down in Northwich Town for the night of 8 August on the social networking site but no one apart from the police, who were monitoring the page, turned up at the pre-arranged meeting point outside a McDonalds restaurant. Blackshaw was promptly arrested.

Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result.”

It seems to me that immature idiots are getting harsh sentences for being simply stupid. And ugly.

Stoner
    Free Member

ugliness is an aggravating factor in sentencing, I think you’ll find.

donsimon
    Free Member

Would that be why they were charged for inciting a riot and not actually rioting?

yossarian
    Free Member

Four years? For being stupid on the Internet? I’m scared now and you should be too.

wwaswas

ugliness is an aggravating factor in sentencing, I think you’ll find.

as is poverty…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Would that be why they were charged for inciting a riot and not actually rioting?

Well no one paid a blind bit of notice to them, they failed to incite anyone to do anything imo.

It makes you wonder what the sentences might have been if they had been successful in their apparent aims. On par with murder perhaps ?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If it is, then they’re already enduring a life sentence.

<Groan>

Stoner
    Free Member

Is incompetence a mitigating factor then?

If you’re charged with attempted murder because your incompetence meant you couldnt manage to get as far as murder, do you think you should be sentenced less than someone who was just unlucky they didnt manage to murder someone?

cranberry
    Free Member

What a ludicrous, mental waste of money. The judge has sentenced these two 21/22 year olds (who, I’m sure, are complete morons) to four years imprisonment. Even assuming they only serve half, that’s still going to cost taxpayers about 180 grand (45 grand per year x 2 – see http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/mar/02/offenders-serious-crimes-criminal-justice-revolution ) – leaving aside the fact that if they were outside and earning, they’d be paying tax, and that once they’ve been in prison for that long their chances of being gainfully employed in the future are much lower.

What would the cost be of allowing every nasty little scrote in the country to think they can call a riot whenever they want to ?

What makes you think that a) they have ever had gainful employment b) they are/have been net tax payers ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is incompetence a mitigating factor then?

I hope so. Despite my comments on various occasions on this forum, Tony Blair is still alive. I sincerely hope the judge will take my obvious incompetence into consideration.

EDIT : and the fact that I’m a handsome fecker.

yunki
    Free Member

Four years? For being stupid on the Internet? I’m scared now and you should be too.

+1

footflaps

If the intention is to send a clear message and dissuade others from trying to incite riots on the web, then I think it has worked – so on that score I have no problem with the sentences..

Mantastic
    Free Member

Forget prison, costs “US” too much. It should only be used on a second offence and then it should be a truely miserable episode, forget human rights.

For the first offence I belive a good flogging on the local village green should do the trick. Not only will they been seen by all the locals so then shunned for ever but the locals may go and have a spot of lunch after the event and thus help the local economy a little.

Failing that hang them.

kaesae
    Free Member

The modern judicial system is simply an archaic remnant from a by gone era of oppression.

It’s a puppet show, designed to fool idiots into thinking that those who are in charge, know what they are doing.

They do not!

Stoner
    Free Member

ernie_”D Cat”_Lynch 😉

yunki
    Free Member

we need this guy in charge.. he knows how to deal with people that don’t toe the party line..

PJM1974
    Free Member

In the context of one of elfin’s recent threads about brutalist architecture, it most certainly should be.

uplink
    Free Member

Well since they failed to incite any riots this time round

They admitted the inciting public disorder charge
    If they didn’t incite anyone to do anything, they shouldn’t have admitted it

I struggle to give a crap for people like these two TBH

GrahamS

You have to wonder how the UK government can have the cheek to criticise Libya, China, Korea etc for imprisoning dissidents, censoring free speech and oppressing civil uprisings…

…I’d like to protest about this but if I suggested that here I could be locked up. Hurrah for democracy.

MSP

A lot of people on here strongly advocated beating, shooting, cracking heads and other extremes of violence, during the riots. Lets hope this sentencing is applied equally to them.

yunki
    Free Member

…I’d like to protest about this but if I suggested that here I could be locked up. Hurrah for democracy right wing nutjobs.

FTFY

D0NK

the robin hood airport bomber only got a fine. So hypothetically blowing up an airport is less serious than hypothetically rioting in northwich, hmmm.

MSP

Northwich is a classic example of middle class middle England, about as far removed from inner city sink estates as its possible to get. A half decent brief would have just claimed it was an act of satire.

konabunny
    Free Member

What would the cost be of allowing every nasty little scrote in the country to think they can call a riot whenever they want to ?

Why do you think it’s such a binary situation where EITHER two morons on the internet get sentenced to four years’ prison OR “every nasty little scrote in the country things they can call a riot whenever they want to”? Is there not, perhaps, some other option?

What makes you think that a) they have ever had gainful employment b) they are/have been net tax payers ?

I have no idea about them. But seeing as hundreds of thousands of pounds are about to be spent imprisoning them, we can probably be pretty sure that they won’t be net taxpayers by the time they come out, or afterwards.

Stoner
    Free Member

Donk – Paul Chambers (robin hood twitter twit) was found guilty under “Improper use of public electronic communications network – Section 127 Communications Act, 2003” which is “The offence is a summary offence, and part of the fixed penalty scheme.”

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/communications_offences/

completely different to incitement to riot.

konabunny
    Free Member

Stoner: these two juicebags could quite appropriately have been charged with that offence instead [assuming for a moment that they updated Facebook by mobile phone].

Tweaking the fact scenario slightly, if Twitter twit had posted “Robin Hood airport is closed. You’ve got a week and a bit to get your shit together, otherwise we should all blow the airport sky high!!”, would the harm have been any different? Should he have been charged with a different crime and sentenced to four years’ imprisonment?

There’s no difference in the seriousness of the conduct.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You have to wonder how the UK government can have the cheek to criticise Libya, China, Korea etc for imprisoning dissidents, censoring free speech and oppressing civil uprisings…

…I’d like to protest about this but if I suggested that here I could be locked up. Hurrah for democracy.

The UK government will let you whinge and whine about it endlessly, even in large on-street demonstrations if you like, holding up everyone else and costing taxpayers policing fees. It’ll even ensure there are investigations into how badly the police treated peope who were just protesting and get injured.

When people are setting out to cause criminal damage and mindless violence (even if it’s under the veil of reason) they tend to be a bit more harsh, and rightly so. If you want to protest for the right for organised criminal activity then go for it, but that seems a tad moronic to me, but I wouldn’t put it past a large percentage of he UK population to join you.

yunki
    Free Member

Gun metal skies, broken lives
    Claustrophobic concrete, english high-rise
    Exterminate the underclass, exterminate the telepaths

No civil disobedience, no civil disobedience

Incubating ultraviolence, psychic distortions
    Slow death injectible, (my case is?) narcosis terminal
    Damaged receptors, fractured speech

Control virus, hallucininatory programmes
    Septicaemic interzone, psychic distortions
    Satellite sickness, tv junk

What’s up?

No civil disobedience

Insecticide shots for criminal cops
    All jails are concentration camps, all judges are bought
    Everyone’s a prostitute, everyone’s a prostitute

Lookout kid, they keep it all hid
    You think you’re free but you ain’t free, just free to be hit
    You’re an unchannelled frequency
    Nobody’s listening
    You’re imbalanced permanent, nobody’s listening

No civil disobedience

cranberry
    Free Member

we can probably be pretty sure that they won’t be net taxpayers by the time they come out, or afterwards.

*sniffle* they will probably be fired from their jobs at that charity, fall out of the 50% tax brand and it’ll all be the fault of those that think trying to arrange violent disorder deserves a damn good bit of punishment.

In many ways these 2 poor wretches are the victims in this sorry affair.

uplink
    Free Member

In many ways these 2 poor wretches are the victims in this sorry affair.

Surely there’s a Victims Support branch in Strangeways?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If the intention is to send a clear message and dissuade others from trying to incite riots on the web, then I think it has worked – so on that score I have no problem with the sentences..

But 8 years would also have had that effect – does that mean that 8 year sentences would also have been justified ?

What was the judge thinking, “I better not give them just a year each, otherwise they’ll just do it again, or others will be tempted to do it” ?

Quite apart from anything else, it’s my taxes which is paying for this stupid sentencing.

And yeah, this is more the sort of stuff you expect from a country like Iran, not the UK.

Incidentally, a couple of days ago someone in the UK was arrested for trying to organise a public water fight :

English Man Arrested For Planning Water-Fight With BBM

And yet a couple of weeks ago the British press was having a song and dance about Iran doing exactly the same thing :

Iranian youths arrested for public water pistol fight in Tehran

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Is it a crime to be ugly?’ is closed to new replies.