Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Is hanging a flat panel TV on the wall "pleberian" (sic)?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Sadly, the plans we have for our living room this year mean that the old faithful CRT (with its excellent picture) is going to have to go.

A flat panel – not sure what yet – will go in its place flat against a wall. My BIL suggested to me that a flat panel TV on the wall is “pleberian”*, and that it ought to go onto a nice piece of furniture.

Being middle class, I ought to have a natural aversion to a large TV anyway, but apparently times have changed….

*my word du jour

wwaswas

I ought to have a natural aversion to a large TV

it’s all about having a screen that’s in proportion to the side of the room it’s in. If the sacreen take sup most of one wall it’s too big.

re: location – flat on the wall does rather limit where you can put furniture.

Please don’t put it above a fireplace – you’ll get neck ache and it’s like sitting in the front row of the cinema – great if you’re under 10 but otherwise not optimum.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say worrying about the social image of your room arrangement is pretty Hyacinth Bucket, personally, and she was working class wasn’t she? To be honest if you want to avoid looking like a chav your best bet is to get a reasonable sized one not a monster.

Wall mounted 40″ here.

AlexSimon

The problem occurs when it’s the focal point of the room.

If you have a nice fireplace and then put the tv on a different wall, then it looks ok imo.

Cougar

Your BIL is jealous. HTH.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

wall mounted 26″ in the corner here. nice viewing but doesn’t dominate the room

Marko

Well I put our new flat screen up on a bracket yesterday . . . and took it down to day.

Cables dangling down the wall annoying and it looks like something out of the bookies, so its back on a small table whilst we look for a nice piece of furniture to stand it on.

So BIL is correct, but I prefer ‘tasteless’ 😆
    Hth
    Marko

alfabus
    Free Member

Televisions are a little crass these days. Most people of standing use a projector now. 🙂

Dave

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t see what all the fuss is about myself.

Home-Cinema-Room por kala y simon, en Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Our gas engineer told me that flat screens on walls is ‘all the rage in Stretford’ at the moment. 😆

yunki
    Free Member

your brother in law’s insinuation is correct while at the same time he may well be suffering from having sand in his plebiscus..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

plebeian not pleberian surely 🙂 Pleb!

rocketman
    Free Member

The occupants of the ‘considerably richer than yow’ houses I ride past on my way back from the Chase at night all have TVs on their walls.

In some cases the TV is the wall.

Dark red wall coverings are also all the rage dahling

scaredypants

pleberian

Oh, dear God ! – you’d entertain the opinion of a man without a classical education ?

Though I think he may have been correct about 10 years ago

If I could get ours onto the wall at a sensible height and with the cables properly routed, I would

wwaswas

His BIL calls it ‘pleberian’ hence the ‘(sic)’.

you other plebs should have spotted that 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

massive TVs are awesome. hth

molgrips
    Free Member

Btw ours is on the wall because it allows it to be up high in a better viewing position, and it lets us put low furniture along the wall too.

ourmaninthenorth

plebeian not pleberian surely

There’s always one pendant.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m getting an attic conversion done at the moment. The TV that’s going up there will be mounted on the wall.

Before you know it I’ll be claiming to be working class 😉 That’ll make some of the tryhards jealous 🙂

simon_g

The trouble is that it always needs to connect to something, so your cable box / DVR / DVD player / games console / etc needs to be housed in somewhere. Usually that’s some sort of boxy furniture that the TV may as well sit on.

You have the problem of cables too – ideally you do this at redecorating time and properly chase the cables into the wall. A line of plastic conduit running down looks almost as bad as the cables themselves out on view.

Finally, most people who wallmount stick them way too high (people who use a chimneybreast for this are especially guilty), you don’t want to be looking up the whole time.

Fine in a bedroom (if you must have a TV in there), with any boxes hidden elsewhere, I can’t think of any wallmounts I’ve seen in a lounge that I’d actually want myself.

binners

Pleberian? Hmmmmmmmmm. Depends really….. Are you planning on watching Sky Sports constantly? While sat in your pants, can of Stella in hand, loudly swearing at it?

If you’re going to do it, do it properly eh…… 😀

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We have wall mounted TV’s in my office, the kids play room and a swivel wall mount thing in our bedroom, which is a funny shape, so we can watch it from bed, or from a chair.

The one in the front room is quite boring and on a stand with the TiVo and Surround sound boxes.

Looks quite neat with the cables plastered in, but still limiting as to where you connect your stuff, like PS3 in my office, Wii and Blu Ray in kids room and TiVo in our bedroom

EDIT: – Simon G +1

P20

Ours is mounted on the wall as its a rented house and the owner agreed to leave the bracket in place. Thankfully its not above a traditional fireplace and therefore miles off the floor and giving us neck strain. The cables are hidden behind white trunking, which sounds horrendous, but on the white walls, you really don’t notice it. I certainly didn’t when we viewed the house 😆

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Your social class is inversely proportional to the size of your TV and the amount of facebook friends you have 🙂

stevehine

imo one of the best things about flat screen TV’s is that they can go on the wall; Assuming (as has been noted) that the screen is appropriately sized for the room and that it’s done properly (i.e. concealed cables; wall mounted speakers to match etc).

In our living room this has the additional benefit that the ‘media unit’ now doubles as emergency seating (assuming the TV is off)

yunki
    Free Member

I’m starting to wander if Bob Hoskins’ proboscis is in fact a prosthesis..

ourmaninthenorth

That’s it binners. You’ve made my mind up. My living room will be a palace like this:

midlifecrashes

Depends on the room, small room + big telly on wall doesn’t look good, but gets it further away. Bit of furniture under it and hide all the cables for me, glass door to keep dust out but let remotes work.

Dark red wall coverings are also all the rage dahling

I haven’t been all the rage for a long time.

That’s a 40″, there’s usually a console in the big space below, but it went upstairs for kids at new years party and hasn’t come back yet.

phil.w
    Free Member

mounted on the wall, cables hanging down = pleberian

mounted in the wall with cables hidden = middle class

donsimon
    Free Member

What’s the name of the TV woman who lives in and renovated a manor house? Because they put a piece of glass in front of the TV to hide it when not in use. Proper middle class or total denial, can’t remember which.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nope what really awful is those beds that have a TV rising out of the foot board. Is that so you can watch a grumbleflick whilst on the job? How vulgar.

Quite frankly I’d rather not have to look at Krusty Wart(Kirsty Wark) when im lying in bed if its all the same to you.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

as long as it hangs at eye level (when your sitting) and has nothing below it, i.e all cables etc in the wall behind the telly

oh and it should be LED with a ultra slim mount as this combo will ensure the thinest possible profile

my lounge tv is fitted as described and it looks fine, the kitchen tv is actually recessed into the wall to it has no side profile at all

toby1

Do the ‘plans’ not involve not having to scrap the old TV? Or is it to turn it into some kind of modernist showhome?

clubber
    Free Member

mounted in the wall with cables hidden = middle class

Yay!

finbar
    Free Member

TVs are all ‘pleberian’, wall-mounted or otherwise.

(or maybe i’m just saying that because i was too lazy to sort out an external aerial after the digital switchover last summer)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is mine:

😀

mudshark
    Free Member

My brother in law has mounted his close to 50″ screen high up on the wall making the smallish room look like a cinema. He also has the 3 games consoles set up there; not really my thing.

Having said that…I have a double door in a recess at one end of my sitting room and plan to put mine in the gap when I decide to change from the CRT. Will take up to 46″ I think, can’t really hang it on a wall as there isn’t one so some sort of stand will be needed which I think is a shame as will take more floor space and I’d like it a couple of feet off the ground.

ourmaninthenorth

Do the ‘plans’ not involve not having to scrap the old TV? Or is it to turn it into some kind of modernist showhome?

Current TV occupied a corner of the living room. This is to be replaced with a logburner. Current CRT will be relegated to the room over the garage, which currently houses piles of books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

House was built in the mid 60s, so is suitably modernist (arguably on the cusp of being post modern). I like modernism.

binners

TVs are all ‘pleberian’, wall-mounted or otherwise.

WHAT?!!! Even if you’ve got BBC4 on?

wwaswas

That’s pure class Elf, love it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Is hanging a flat panel TV on the wall "pleberian" (sic)?’ is closed to new replies.